Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 01:29 AM
Banned

Default Competition for our Coyotes

Competition to buy our coyotes is getting crazy! It seems like everyone and their dog is a fur buyer these days. It’s getting very competitive right now if you choose to go the fur buyer route. Bushman Inc has recently announced that they’re entering the buying game. FHA has announced that in cooperation with the ATA they are now offering fur pick up in the Edmonton area. Ya gotta like it if you’re a Trapper. Check this out:

https://www.furharvesters.com/pickups/ata.pdf

Told ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Minor detail. If there’s money in it I’m sure that the Alberta Trapping Cartel would be all over this.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...+cartel&page=2

Now I’ll predict that a lot of these buyers are going to disappear as fast as they appeared, or at the very least have to change their business plan. The ones that want or need to make $50/pelt on your best Coyotes to cover their overhead are going to be undercut by buyers that are satisfied with making $20/pelt. Who’s going to sell at $100 average when buddy down the road will give you $110 average? Exciting times indeed!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:28 AM

FHA sent us shipping labels but they are for Halfords, that's not gonna happen. I asked for labels to speed things up at drop off so I'll e-mail them and see if we can get Westlock labels.
Warming up today.
Doug
Old 01-20-2020, 09:08 AM

Default labels

Dugh, did my fur brought in last Monday to ATA actually go out on Halford labels. Not pleased when I take fur to ATA expect our association to get benefit.
PS I was not impressed with volumes of ALL fur in boxes this year at ATA.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
FHA sent us shipping labels but they are for Halfords, that's not gonna happen. I asked for labels to speed things up at drop off so I'll e-mail them and see if we can get Westlock labels.
Warming up today.
Doug
The ATA is picking up fur to drop off at Halford's? That sounds odd.

"Fur Harvesters Auction Inc is now offering a fur pickup service directly
to trappers through the Alberta Trappers Association Depot in Westlock.
Arrangements can also be made to have trapping supplies delivered from the
ATA store when the pickup is made."
Old 01-20-2020, 09:54 AM

"Dugh, did my fur brought in last Monday to ATA actually go out on Halford labels. Not pleased when I take fur to ATA expect our association to get benefit.
PS I was not impressed with volumes of ALL fur in boxes this year at ATA."

All fur dropped of at the ATA office will be credited to the ATA regardless of who's name is on the tag.

I will make sure to send the proper tags ASAP.

I would like to thank all the Alberta trappers and the ATA for supporting us and look forward to a great season.

Sincerely,

Mark Taylor
Operations Manager
Fur Harvesters Auction
NORTH BAY, ON
Old 01-20-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur Harvesters Auction View Post
"Dugh, did my fur brought in last Monday to ATA actually go out on Halford labels. Not pleased when I take fur to ATA expect our association to get benefit.
PS I was not impressed with volumes of ALL fur in boxes this year at ATA."

All fur dropped of at the ATA office will be credited to the ATA regardless of who's name is on the tag.

I will make sure to send the proper tags ASAP.

I would like to thank all the Alberta trappers and the ATA for supporting us and look forward to a great season.

Sincerely,

Mark Taylor
Operations Manager
Fur Harvesters Auction
NORTH BAY, ON
Hi Mark. Do you have anything around the Calgary area. It seems like the closest location is Lethbridge.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Hi Mark. Do you have anything around the Calgary area. It seems like the closest location is Lethbridge.
Just sold to private buyer came to me my garage $132 avg
Old 01-21-2020, 01:34 PM

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/pressreleaseJAN20.pdf
Old 01-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Exciting times.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:50 PM
Banned

I was offered a $118 average on my best pelts. Are you kidding me?!

I packed them up and sent them all to FHA. Now to wait.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:09 PM

It's the ky-otee gold rush
Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Even with such a limited catalog, I think this is a very good sign. I think the private fur buyer bonanza works in the patient trappers favor. If the private buyers snatch up a descent percentage of the supply to satisfy their contracts it leaves the rest of the market fighting over what’s left....a limited supply and a house full of fur hungry buyers at the auction house will likely generate a higher average. Time will tell.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Even with such a limited catalog, I think this is a very good sign. I think the private fur buyer bonanza works in the patient trappers favor. If the private buyers snatch up a descent percentage of the supply to satisfy their contracts it leaves the rest of the market fighting over what’s left....a limited supply and a house full of fur hungry buyers at the auction house will likely generate a higher average. Time will tell.
BINGO!

What I find really interesting about the NDFTA auction is that these are Trapper lots meaning that all of the lots being offered were pelts from specific Trappers. Unlike NAFTA where they grade the fur and put them in amongst other Trappers fur based on grade, Trappers put their own fur in the auction by lots. That means that the top lot of furs that sold were all one trapper’s fur. Catch the right coyotes and put them up well and you get rewarded.

That’s my understanding based on what I read on Trapperman.......one Trapper got top lot with 60ish coyotes! Nice payday!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 AM

Default Competition for our coyotes

Quote:
I was offered a $118 average on my best pelts. Are you kidding me?!

I packed them up and sent them all to FHA. Now to wait.

Who offered you a $118 average. Good to know so that we can not bother with them. Thanks Dave.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Big buyers talk a big game but they are the first to down grade your dogs to fill their own pockets. There’s a guy by the name Brian who’s been paying 130 avg for coyotes I’ve personally never had any dealings with him but guys sure seem to like doing business with him.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Big buyers talk a big game but they are the first to down grade your dogs to fill their own pockets. There’s a guy by the name Brian who’s been paying 130 avg for coyotes I’ve personally never had any dealings with him but guys sure seem to like doing business with him.
Yes I deal with him and he treated me great this past Monday,I recommend him personally
Old 01-22-2020, 04:13 PM

Default Competition for our coyotes

Is he out of Wetaskiwin?
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Who offered you a $118 average. Good to know so that we can not bother with them. Thanks Dave.
I’m not going to comment on who it was publicly. Lots of guys were happy with that average and it’s relative to the quality of the pelts. Based on how my fur has graded in past auctions I had a very good idea of their value and $118 average wasn’t going to cut it. People were selling for that though.

For a recreational Trapper that’s putting up 10 or 20 coyotes per season leaving a few hundred dollars on the table is not a huge deal. Besides, they are doing it as a pastime and the money is secondary imo. For someone putting up 100 coyotes per season that few hundred dollars turns into a few thousand dollars.

To each their own, no one holds a gun to your head making you sell. Besides, i’m Not counting my chickens before they hatch. Maybe I’ll do worse at auction. I doubt it though.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
BINGO!

What I find really interesting about the NDFTA auction is that these are Trapper lots meaning that all of the lots being offered were pelts from specific Trappers. Unlike NAFTA where they grade the fur and put them in amongst other Trappers fur based on grade, Trappers put their own fur in the auction by lots. That means that the top lot of furs that sold were all one trapper’s fur. Catch the right coyotes and put them up well and you get rewarded.

That’s my understanding based on what I read on Trapperman.......one Trapper got top lot with 60ish coyotes! Nice payday!
If this is the case it seems like a pretty strange way to buy pelts for the buyer. If a buyer is looking for a particular colour/quality/etc would they not want a bundle of fur that may be coming from a number of different producers? Ultimately, I’m thinking they don’t care where the fur comes from as long as each piece in the lot is the same in all graded ways.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
If this is the case it seems like a pretty strange way to buy pelts for the buyer. If a buyer is looking for a particular colour/quality/etc would they not want a bundle of fur that may be coming from a number of different producers? Ultimately, I’m thinking they don’t care where the fur comes from as long as each piece in the lot is the same in all graded ways.
I think that I read that there were only 8 buyers at the auction so they wouldn’t be the end users and merely brokers. I’m thinking that they go around buying up fur and sorting them to sell to international buyers......or the big international buyers sort it. There were only 1300 coyote pelts in the auction, NAFA had 50K to 70K, hardly worth it to a big international buyer to attend.
But yeah, it does sound odd compared to what we’re used to at a big auction house like NAFA.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 PM

Anyone know if Groenewold had a buyer there.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I think that I read that there were only 8 buyers at the auction so they wouldn’t be the end users and merely brokers. I’m thinking that they go around buying up fur and sorting them to sell to international buyers......or the big international buyers sort it. There were only 1300 coyote pelts in the auction, NAFA had 50K to 70K, hardly worth it to a big international buyer to attend.
But yeah, it does sound odd compared to what we’re used to at a big auction house like NAFA.
Makes sense. Perhaps they like cash in the hand. IMO some trappers use buyers because they get cash in their hand vs going to auction and getting “market value” several months later. If this is the case, there may be one off situations where you get paid more from a buyer, but it is certainly possible these buyers are sending to the exact same auction. I believe over the long run one would always be better sending to auction.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:13 AM

Anyone know what the commission is we will pay at auction?
Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 AM

11% plus drumming plus a conversion fee from us to can apparently not sure how much that us. Hopefully now that there business just tripled the bank will give them a better rate on that. You can also ask to be payed in us instead.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:25 AM

Drumming last year was 1.00 a pelt(long hair only obviously). Not sure what this conversion fee everyone mentions is? Never showed up on my sales receipt. When I run the numbers they just took the sale day USD to CAD exchange rate and payed me out.

They do charge 5 dollars for magazine membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM

I guess not a conversion fee just a crappier conversion rate than nafa got, just due to volume.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM

So 140$ Canadian average at auction is 123.60$ after 11% commission and 1$ per for drumming, not including the shipping charges getting the furs to auction.
Hhmm

120$-130$ average from private buyer doesn’t seem so bad. No fees or charges when they come right to you.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:21 AM

204 I sold my first batch of 19 to Groeny. 125 avg. 6 at 150, 7 at 125, 4 at 100, 1 at 75 (small), 1 at 50 (rubbed pretty bad). The average doesn’t work out because I refused the first offer and he bumped it to 125. I didn’t have to drive a 660km round trip to Westlock either. I don’t know if I missed it or if things changed but when I was looking at my options I didn’t see a local pickup for FHA.

I’m still considering my options for the rest of my coyotes. I likely left some money on the table but I wanted a payday. This was also prior to the North Dakota auction.

It was nice to talk to the grader and I learned a few things also. I also wanted to meet Marty but he didn’t show.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 AM

To each his own. Personally if all I had was a pile of dogs I'd never turn down a 125-130 ave cash in hand. I however had a bunch of bears,beavers,rats,skunks,coons, coyotes,foxes, castor so I shipped everything. I'll wait for one big check hopefully. Plus I like the auction process and i guarentee I have a top lot coyote this year. Lol. Theres always hope.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:37 PM

Default Competition

Quote:
I’m not going to comment on who it was publicly. Lots of guys were happy with that average and it’s relative to the quality of the pelts. Based on how my fur has graded in past auctions I had a very good idea of their value and $118 average wasn’t going to cut it. People were selling for that though.

For a recreational Trapper that’s putting up 10 or 20 coyotes per season leaving a few hundred dollars on the table is not a huge deal. Besides, they are doing it as a pastime and the money is secondary imo. For someone putting up 100 coyotes per season that few hundred dollars turns into a few thousand dollars.

To each their own, no one holds a gun to your head making you sell. Besides, i’m Not counting my chickens before they hatch. Maybe I’ll do worse at auction. I doubt it though.
Why would you not want to say Dave? The info might help someone do a little better for their hard earned fur. Everyone wants to get the best they can. I have sold 46 to Marty as of late December, and was quite happy with a $130 average. Probably could have done better, but like to have that cash in hand. Don’t mean to be a smart ass. Good luck the rest of the season.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 01-23-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: More info