Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support a bike trail from Banff to Jasper
Yes 99 45.62%
No 118 54.38%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Excellent idea! North American society needs this kind of activity instead of relying on uber 1000cc 20000$ atv monstrosity! And before anyone bashes me I rode my bike to work and back 5days a week and even on my overtime days. South side to north side red deer!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:41 PM

I am all for it. I have rode thru the park a few times and other mountain passes. It's a great way to see the mountains and get some fresh air. Nothing worse than riding thru the park with rental RVs, tourists, etc not paying attention or knowing where their mirrors are.

NA needs to catch up to the rest of the world on this issue.

S
Old 02-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned

Way too much habitat loss, not to mention the habituation of animals to humans. We need less humans in the wild...not more. If you want to ride your bike do it in the city.

And for God sakes...put on some pants...you're not Lance Armstrong!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Why is it that so many people want someone else to pay for their entertainment? If you wanna bike from place to place just go do it and quit expecting me to have to pay for it.
Exactly, if you want to do it go right ahead, no extraneous capital required!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

I would be happy with a normal bike trail from Jasp to Banff but if I had a choice the trail would look like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLuqKNKOqs&sns=em
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Way too much habitat loss, not to mention the habituation of animals to humans. We need less humans in the wild...not more. If you want to ride your bike do it in the city.

And for God sakes...put on some pants...you're not Lance Armstrong!
I read habitat loss and I am lost........so I guess we are not all talking about the same thing.

OP, are you suggesting a paved trail like Canmore to Banff or a single track moutain bike trail (which is what I thought we were discussing)

And for the record, while I turn 50 this year, but I look damn hot in lycra!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM

How much would it cost and then how many people would really use it every summer ? Seems like a great idea but ... I drive the parkway 4 times a month in summer and might see 25 non club bicycle riders . I would think it's a long hard slug for the average person so the expense of a trail / route would benifit only a few extreme riders .
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDr2Mtgjd4

Actually an approved trail something like this would be great from Banff to Jasper.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDr2Mtgjd4

Actually an approved trail something like this would be great from Banff to Jasper.
YA, funny thing, I was thinking Enduro too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vZM9sK-Ygo
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I read habitat loss and I am lost........so I guess we are not all talking about the same thing.

OP, are you suggesting a paved trail like Canmore to Banff or a single track moutain bike trail (which is what I thought we were discussing)

And for the record, while I turn 50 this year, but I look damn hot in lycra!!!
I'm suggesting a paved bike trail but I think there should be all types of developed trails for bicycling in these areas. Our national parks are nice to look at and by all means need to be protected, but it's like having fine china sitting in a china cabinet that never gets used.
Why not make it a little more usable for people to enjoy ? I'm not talking about motorized vehicles. I have three bikes and other than a two inch wide tread print you would never know I was in a specific area.
The nice part about cycling in these protected areas is that you are allowed to do so and I don't think just a little development would hurt anything. No different than an animal trail except for possibly a small bridge going over water bodies. Bicycles are easier on the forests than animals are and yes we use the fine china in my house hold
Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Banned

Great Idea.....Feed the grizzlies yuppies!

You wouldn't want to make your way through bear territory slowly making lots of noise, it's much more fun coming up on a bear fast on a bike and surprising them.

Darwin award.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:20 PM
Banned

I' ran into a grizz in the kananaskis area riding down hill last year, it ended well but bear spray was deployed. It reminded me of what a human would do facing the back end of a skunk, old hunch back was out of there pronto ! My lungs were irritated for days after that one though.

Same risks anyone takes when visiting the back country and if you know how to react in backwoods situations it's no different than riding your bike to the store except for the things that will run you over in the bush usually tend to be more quiet
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 AM

This would definitely be on my "to-do" list if built. I would much prefer a single track to a paved trail, however.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 AM

Would cost too much and its a rather long distance for most people, with little to no camping or services on the route.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 AM

Threads like these sure bring out the "My way or the highway" attitude that is so common in people, it also separates the donut munching slugs from the normals.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Threads like these sure bring out the "My way or the highway" attitude that is so common in people, it also separates the donut munching slugs from the normals.
So very true!!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing as well. And the poll is always 50% for, and 50% against.
So for every person going for the project, another person will try to derail it.
In effect, nothing will happen.

I think the OP should rethink his idea that would get 75% approval.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
And a thread like this is somewhat of a generational thing reflection on the demographics of people here.

Many would rather grow their own tobacco and smoke their lungs out than acknowledge the fact that there are people out there, of all ages and socioeconomic levels, that lead a healthy active lifestyles and enjoy and pursue outdoor activities.

A previous poster said "NA needs to catch up to the rest of the world on this issue".

Some attitudes here suggest Alberta needs to catch up with the rest of NA.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
You wouldn't want to make your way through bear territory slowly making lots of noise, it's much more fun coming up on a bear fast on a bike and surprising them.
Darwin award.
Thousands of people cycling thru parks, Kcountry and bear country on roads, trails and single track every year. Pretty sure more hunters are mauled and killed by Gbears than any other group in AB. So who wins the darwin award?
Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

A paved trail would make the most sense to me becuase thats what the majority of cyclists would want to see. Over time I would expect to see a dirt trail beside the main trail for the thrill riders.
I biked 10 klms so back into the mountains on my last trip and it was one of the nicest rides I've been on. The only down fall and the same as any other area of our national parks, no fire is permitted unless it's a designated pit. so we didn't stay the night or plan to. I guess a person doesn't really need a fire with today's portable technology but still a pain to pack in.

For the 3 some odd million users of banff national park last year I would assume maybe a half million would use the trail if it were there to ride. I think Alberta would be the Mecca of the cycling world if they developed even further and would draw in even more riders from around the globe. It's nice to have the ski hills to ride here in Alberta but they are definitely no whistler mountain bike park by any means.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Darwin award.
Dave you got a bike too! see ya on the trail, slow one gets eatin'

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
A paved trail would make the most sense to me becuase thats what the majority of cyclists would want to see. Over time I would expect to see a dirt trail beside the main trail for the thrill riders.
Paved trail would make the most sense. It would allow multi-user groups to take advantage of the trail (just like the Canmore to Banff trail). It could use the right way as well as existing trails and roads for most sections to limit it's footprint as well. At least being paved you could ride it in one day if you wanted to and were in shape to do so. You could add backpacking camp sites as well with small footprints for cyclists that wanted to split the trip up. You can only carry so much on a bike anyways.

S
Old 02-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Just what the Bow Valley needs, more brain dead traffic targets wearing the yellow jersey and spandex cutting blood flow to what little brains they possess.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Just what the Bow Valley needs, more brain dead traffic targets wearing the yellow jersey and spandex cutting blood flow to what little brains they possess.
Those yellow jerseys have created a pretty expensive, competitive and prosperous economy in Canmore since the days when you could buy an old abandoned mine house for $500 bucks.

They must have bigger brains then you give them credit for.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:16 AM

the Mecca of the cycling world if they developed even further and would draw in even more riders from around the globe.

One of the problems with our national parks is the large and increasing number of people using them. Facilities for visitors are stretched to the limit as is. Do we really want to encourage more easy use ?

Grizz
Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 AM

It would have to be paved, many hiking trails in Banff are closed to bicycles due to wear and tear. If built, such a trail would get global attention and would see heavy use.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It would have to be paved, many hiking trails in Banff are closed to bicycles due to wear and tear. If built, such a trail would get global attention and would see heavy use.
Don't let the wrong guys see this they'll have a stroke. They refuse to believe ATVs cause wear on a trail let alone a bike

I'd love to see a trail built if for no other reason than the highway would be safer to drive on. We've spent money on way worse things in this province .... Alison Redford
Old 02-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Dave you got a bike too! see ya on the trail, slow one gets eatin'
Don't worry, I'd let you go first to lead the way and I'd hang back quite a bit.

The last time that I traveled from Jasper to Banff there was a great paved trail the whole way. It's called a highway. So, making a new paved trail for bikes is what......some kind of make work project to stimulate the economy?

Take the money and put it towards twinning Hwy 63!
Old 02-20-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Don't worry, I'd let you go first to lead the way and I'd hang back quite a bit.

The last time that I traveled from Jasper to Banff there was a great paved trail the whole way. It's called a highway. So, making a new paved trail for bikes is what......some kind of make work project to stimulate the economy?

Take the money and put it towards twinning Hwy 63!
You know that's a really good make work project for unemployed youth.

Construction of the Banff Jasper highway was a make work project for men in the relief camps during the Great Depression.

That was a pretty good depression era legacy to leave behind.

A Banff Jasper bike trail would be a pretty good legacy to leave behind from our current Depression.