Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support a bike trail from Banff to Jasper
Yes 99 45.62%
No 118 54.38%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Banned

Default A bike path from Banff to Jasper

Would you support a bike path that ran from Jasper to banff ?

It is a hypothetical thread but I think such a trail system would get a lot of use and get the majority of people on bikes off the highways, also support tourism and make a great holiday. I've considered riding my bike on a day trip through the mountains but I'm rather concerned I may get plucked by a vehicle. I have seen too many close calls, mostly with vehicles but the proper timing could take out some bikers as well.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 PM

Default No

not needed
Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 PM

I think such a trail would be too challenging for most people. It's just shy of 300 kms. Hardly a vacation and there really is no resources for the bikers between Jasper and Banff.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-19-2016, 05:10 AM

A great idea, would be popular with the tourists and us locals too.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:30 AM

Great idea.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

That would be awesome, another way to see the mountains, fresh air and exercise too

Those not in favour well have another poppa burger, waddle down to wallyworld and enjoy the outing!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2016, 05:53 AM

There is a bike tour that goes from Jasper to Banff. They supply the bikes ,food and rooms to sleep in as it takes a few day. As nice as that tour looks ,I have seen many bikers get off their bikes to walk up those long inclines .
Old 02-19-2016, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
There is a bike tour that goes from Jasper to Banff. They supply the bikes ,food and rooms to sleep in as it takes a few day. As nice as that tour looks ,I have seen many bikers get off their bikes to walk up those long inclines .
Does it get off the highways? Bike trail that would do that, have resting/camping areas would be safer and a heck of a lot more fun to do.
Use it as a controlled sled trail in the winter would be a bonus too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2016, 06:23 AM

Why not grizzlys have to eat....
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 AM

Why is it that so many people want someone else to pay for their entertainment? If you wanna bike from place to place just go do it and quit expecting me to have to pay for it.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Why is it that so many people want someone else to pay for their entertainment? If you wanna bike from place to place just go do it and quit expecting me to have to pay for it.
There you go and way more intrusive than a pipeline, in the long run, which the users would certainly oppose.

Grizz
Old 02-19-2016, 08:20 AM

The first day some bicyclist would get run over by two drunk rednecks in a side by side. Any trail into the woods these days is an open invitation.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
BNP is the cash-cow of the national park system. Money siphoned from Banff pays for the other parks that few people visit. Why not keep some of the money in Banff? You won't "Have" to pay for it, park pass purchasers like me do.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The first day some bicyclist would get run over by two drunk rednecks in a side by side. Any trail into the woods these days is an open invitation.
Not allowed in Banff.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:49 AM

I think it would be awesome...I know I'd take a week every summer to do it. Maybe run it past some fishing lakes and waterfall type areas. Also have tenting spots every couple miles.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Gone Fishing

If you made it a quad and motorbike trail I would vote for it, but no bikes under 100cc
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

I seen someone in a big dodge just shower a group of cyclists climbing the hill by bow summit with diesel exhaust one day. Almost looked like he did it on purpose, probably not the ride these people were expecting. It would be nice to ride through the mountains and take in the scenery with out having to risk life and limb a couple of feet away from idiot drivers and vehicle exhaust.
I think this would be a good investment for our government to make, also promoting exercise and health at the same time.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM

The grizz would become conditioned to the concept of meals on wheels. Not sure tourists would have the smarts to watch out for predators on such a trail. Most bikers would be using the trail in June July and August when mama grizz has cubs in tow.

This vid is a good example of biking in bear territory. Not a fake video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMa5-n2OVc
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 02-19-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure I am paying at the toll booth for my own entertainment every time I enter Banff and Jasper. Don't ever remember any free camping spots either.

Last edited by riden; 02-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Banned

Great idea. Use the shoulder of the highway as a trail. They could spray paint one of those bike icons on the shoulder ever 50 kms so nobody would get lost.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM

I'm all for it, if only for safety. I sent this to Parks Canada last fall, but did not receive a reply.

"We just returned from transiting Hwy 93 through Jasper National Park, and were scared to death that we were going to hit and kill somebody. You have made no effort to discourage or warn bicyclists about how to safely share a busy highway, nor given them ample shoulders to safely get off the road. I drive safely and conscientiously, but when I am 11000 lb truck and camper doing the legal speed limit of 90 km/h and come over a rise to find 3 bicyclists side by side well into the lane, beside a double yellow line and oncoming traffic, you share part of the blame for putting me in that situation. We all take risks (I could hit a moose just as easily) and try to drive defensively because of it, but you can do more to make that highway safer. People will be killed, if they have not been already. I will not be back."
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
OK bud, reality check time, Banff recorded 3.6 million visitors last year. Pretty sure you won't have to pay for this bike path.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I think it would be awesome...I know I'd take a week every summer to do it. Maybe run it past some fishing lakes and waterfall type areas. Also have tenting spots every couple miles.
Excellent idea. That highway is already a popular destination for cyclists - a dedicated pathway would be a huge minimal impact tourist attraction.

Get people out of their cars and trucks and enjoy the parks from a non motorized perspective. More tenting spots and hostel type facilities - in existing campgrounds - but not every couple of miles.

Look at the popularity and high usage of the bike pathway between Banff and Canmore.

A 3 day cycling pass, including tenting reservations and bike rentals, would attract a lot of International tourists.

Last edited by JimPS; 02-19-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:15 PM

"If you build it they will come"

National parks attract people who want to do activities like bike from x to y.
Just look at the usage of the Canmore to Banff town site bike path. Whole families use it. The riding is relatively easy, Id say it is a huge success.

Also, take hwy 1A from Banff to Lake Louise any summer weekend. You'll see loads of cyclists on there. With reduced speed limits and ample wildlife viewing, it's perfect for cycling. Probably the highlight for many cyclist tourists.

I'm all for getting people out of the usual haunts along the bow valley and actually experiencing some of the park, out of a motor vehicle.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
"If you build it they will come"

National parks attract people who want to do activities like bike from x to y.
Just look at the usage of the Canmore to Banff town site bike path. Whole families use it. The riding is relatively easy, Id say it is a huge success.

Also, take hwy 1A from Banff to Lake Louise any summer weekend. You'll see loads of cyclists on there. With reduced speed limits and ample wildlife viewing, it's perfect for cycling. Probably the highlight for many cyclist tourists.

I'm all for getting people out of the usual haunts along the bow valley and actually experiencing some of the park, out of a motor vehicle.
Many tourists that are attracted to cycling from x to y have the money to spend on "adventure" type destinations and activities.

I'm surprised how old and how physically fit some of these people are.

They are definitely not the Homer types that would be content to sit around the 5th wheel in an overcrowded RV campground listening to the generators all day long.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
OK bud, reality check time, Banff recorded 3.6 million visitors last year. Pretty sure you won't have to pay for this bike path.
Banff does not pay for itself despite that many people. Parks Canada is subsidized by taxpayers big time !
Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Banff does not pay for itself despite that many people. Parks Canada is subsidized by taxpayers big time !
I'm ll for diversifying the tourist economy in our National Parks, attracting people from all over the world and keeping the tourist dollars, the profits and jobs here.

A "world class" cycle path would do just that.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Many tourists that are attracted to cycling from x to y have the money to spend on "adventure" type destinations and activities.

I'm surprised how old and how physically fit some of these people are.

They are definitely not the Homer types that would be content to sit around the 5th wheel in an overcrowded RV campground listening to the generators all day long.
Some of the seniors I have seen are absolutely amazing
Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Parks Canada is more than BNP. Banff is the crown jewel that subsidises the less popular parks. It's also the one that attracts visitors from every continent.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:03 PM

meal.jpg

You will become dinner.