Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Flying the Canadian Flag upside down

A Facebook post got me thinking. An upside down flag is an international distress sign. Why don't more Albertans fly there's that way to show our frustration with the way we're being treated ? Mine flies that way every time there's a Liberal government in Ottawa. Easy way to make it understood where we stand.

Grizz
Old 02-28-2020, 05:16 PM

I know a few people who have taken down their Canadian flags and replaced them with the Alberta flag.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:22 PM

There’s not a lot of loyalty to one’s country anymore.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 PM

I used to fly both flags Alberta and Canada
Now it’s only Alberta flag
Old 02-28-2020, 05:29 PM

Good idea. But I took down my flag about 10years ago.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:32 PM

I would gladly fly one at half mast when that glorious day comes, but for now flying a flag at home is only of benefit to the store that sold the flag. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 PM

I've stopped using a capital "c" when I write "canada".
Yes, it is petty and childish, but I feel good about it.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
There’s not a lot of loyalty to one’s country anymore.
Dived the people of a country, dilute its culture or make it politically incorrect, create financial hard times over a political vision, and add in a government who ignores the needs of a large part of the country loyalty starts dwindling

I won’t be flying an upside down flag but I am running out of give a crap at an alarming rate
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I've stopped using a capital "c" when I write "canada".
Yes, it is petty and childish, but I feel good about it.
For the most part ....Yup

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 PM

I believe the new spelling is Cantada
Old 02-28-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
I believe the new spelling is Cantada
That is so depressingly accurate.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:49 PM

I will never support anyone manipulating our Canadian flag to prove a political point just because we don't like who's in charge.

So many have sacrificed so much to defend our flag and it's a shame to use our national flag to try and make a selfish political point.

Don't like Trudeau, but I will always respect and love my country.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:00 PM

There is definitely a difference south of the border. I am at our house in Arizona and on our street more houses than not have Old Glory flying outside. Went for a run today and ran by a house that had the US Flag and a Trump/Pence 2020 flying. Lots of those around as well.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I will never support anyone manipulating our Canadian flag to prove a political point just because we don't like who's in charge.
So many have sacrificed so much to defend our flag and it's a shame to use our national flag to try and make a selfish political point.
And it follows that “small” people are “short” sighted.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:

those same people wouldn't have made those same sacrifices if they knew they would be fighting for a Canada that will become today's Canada. Bank on it.

How many people would volunteer to fight for and 'defend' Canada if WW3 broke out? Definitely not me.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:

I think many of those people who made the ultimate sacrifice would now be fighting to raise that flag upside down.

The flag is a symbol for all of Canada, not just its leader. There is so much more wrong with Canada than just Trublow. We are a nation that is divided.

Flying the flag upside down in a distress call but unfortunately it is illegal to issue a false distress call. The cronies in Ottawa get to decide if the nation is at a state of distress or not. I can guarantee they are happy therefor we are not at a state of distress. It would not surprise me if the queens crossing guards start issuing tickets to everyone who flies a flag upside down.

Personally I wont fly a flag anymore, I'm embarrassed to say I am Canadian. Last time some asked me where I was from I told them "The Democratic People Republic of Canuckistan"

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-28-2020, 10:13 PM

something about flying the flag upside down doesnt sit right with me . i had flown a flag in my front yard for over thirty years , replacing it with a new one every spring . that tradition ended a couple years ago . ive got a brand new one in the drawer and it saddens me everytime i open the drawer and see it there . hopefully i find a reason to fly it again but not right now .
Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 PM

I will not fly a Canadian flag, and I will not participate in the national anthem in it's butchered form. This is not the Canada that I was born and raised in, or that our soldiers fought two world wars for.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:47 PM

I’m proud to be Canadian and the flag is on display on my property every day. Consider it disrespectful to treat the flag by flying it wrong side up (just as I would were someone to take a knee during the national anthem.). Bottom line, if you want to protest something, find an appropriate way to do it!
No doubt in my mind, I won the lottery being born Canadian.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:

X2

And those that dont like Canada are all free to leave anytime you like.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:04 AM

Do as you want know that even with all the crap going on, Canada is still better then anywhere else. That's why men and women put on a uniform and risked their lives.
I know all the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen I served with would still do the same job for our country even in its current affairs. Many of them still do. They would all say your a bunch of explicits. They would all put you in your place if they met you in person
Certain things you do not do. One is disrespect the flag that many of our Military members had draped across their coffins as they were lowered in their graves. That they wore on their shoulder with extreme pride as they were killed.
You may not agree with the current government or their policies. But disrespecting something as precious as our flag is the lowest form of human behaviour.
Fly that flag proudly, let Canadians and the world know we are all one group from coast to coast. Dont segregate based on a bad leader.
If you show this disdain for the flag then you have admitted defeat and that is not acceptable on any level.
But those who have died did so that you could fly the flag upside down or not at all. They wont agree to it but it is your choice because they paid the sacrifice.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I think many of those people who made the ultimate sacrifice would now be fighting to raise that flag upside down.
I think that you’d be wrong. To most of us the national flag is something that is sacred. If anything, I think that they would consider those that would desecrate the national flag due to the current political climate as snowflakes. Our hardships pale in comparison to the Great Generation and I don’t think that they would respect the “poor me” generation whether on the left or on the right politically.

I’ll never support flying the national flag upside down in protest, I think that it’s childish and disrespectful, and I may be inclined to commandeer a flag displayed that way. I do however think that flying the Alberta flag in lieu of the Maple Leaf as a more appropriate form of expressing one’s discontent without being disrespectful.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thankfully we have never been involved in a Major world conflict with the Maple leaf.

Have never flown the Flag and never will.

I will fly and do fly the Canadian Flag of old and the Alberta flag.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Do as you want know that even with all the crap going on, Canada is still better then anywhere else. That's why men and women put on a uniform and risked their lives.
I know all the Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen I served with would still do the same job for our country even in its current affairs. Many of them still do. They would all say your a bunch of explicits. They would all put you in your place if they met you in person
Certain things you do not do. One is disrespect the flag that many of our Military members had draped across their coffins as they were lowered in their graves. That they wore on their shoulder with extreme pride as they were killed.
You may not agree with the current government or their policies. But disrespecting something as precious as our flag is the lowest form of human behaviour.
Fly that flag proudly, let Canadians and the world know we are all one group from coast to coast. Dont segregate based on a bad leader.
If you show this disdain for the flag then you have admitted defeat and that is not acceptable on any level.
But those who have died did so that you could fly the flag upside down or not at all. They wont agree to it but it is your choice because they paid the sacrifice.
We are not one group coast to coast and never have been.

Canada and BC have never respected Western Canada. When Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba were fighting for resource control British Columbia gave us zero support as they had automatic control from Day 1 in Confederation.

At the gathering of the premiers in 1913 or 1919 (don’t recall the date) we were laughed at when we wanted control over our own resources and did not gain control until the 1930’s. I believe it was the New Brunswick premier who was mad about that right up until the 1950’s.

Western Canada was never wanted by Canada and we were only purchased from the Hudson’s bay Company so Canada could make a play for British Columbia and show Britain they could take it over instead of the Americans who were making their big push west.

You can find out more in the book “Let those eastern b*$tards freeze in the dark”.

If everyday when you went home from work your wife flat out told you “I tolerate you being here, but I don’t like you and don’t really want you here”, How many would continue to charade?

“You are welcome to be here, you just need to change everything about yourself”. yeah, no thanks, I’ll see myself out.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
X2

And those that dont like Canada are all free to leave anytime you like.
Why would people that have lived and worked in Canada for decades , allow a treasonous piece of garbage, run us out of our own country? For the same reason, why would we sit back and say nothing as he does this to our country?
Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
those same people wouldn't have made those same sacrifices if they knew they would be fighting for a Canada that will become today's Canada. Bank on it.

How many people would volunteer to fight for and 'defend' Canada if WW3 broke out? Definitely not me.
So you would rather speak Russian ???
Old 02-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Why would people that have lived and worked in Canada for decades , allow a treasonous piece of garbage, run us out of our own country? For the same reason, why would we sit back and say nothing as he does this to our country?
Agree. All the talk of “if you don’t like it, leave” is a joke. I was not raised to run away from my problems. It breaks my heart to see the direction Canada has gone but I’m not about to tuck tail and run.

The upside down flag feels wrong to me. I have two 30’ poles that sit empty in my yard. I just don’t feel like flying either flag and the wife won’t let me put up pirate flags...
Old 02-29-2020, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Bend over and take it, it’s the politically correct way of doing things the liberal Canadian way!
Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
So you would rather speak Russian ???
You think Russia wants to invade? They are a Conservative Christian country that wants to keep its affairs on Eastern Europe and the bordering Asian countries.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Bend over and take it, it’s the politically correct way of doing things the liberal Canadian way!
You don’t even get Vaseline with that! A proud Albertan.