Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 05:10 PM

Congratulations on the new Tikka!! I really enjoy mine! I am waiting for a complete rifle pic now and wondering how you will scope it. Decent sale too!!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkip View Post
In reality this means that if you need a break on the gun then you should not own it or shoot it cause you cant handle it. breaks on hunting rifles are unnecessary unless you are shooting something you are scared of.

Nice gun though
Lol go shoot this rifle with a brake and without.
Guaranteed you’ll shoot it better with the brake
Old 02-28-2020, 06:03 PM

It’s a hunting/pack gun not a bench rest long range competition gun.... Put a limbsaver on it and enjoy! After packing it for a week in the mountains you’ll be glad you bought it
Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtinov View Post
It’s a hunting/pack gun not a bench rest long range competition gun.... Put a limbsaver on it and enjoy! After packing it for a week in the mountains you’ll be glad you bought it
You need to practice with an ultra light more than any other rifle in your vault
Any flaws with your form is magnified with a 6lb rifle
Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You need to practice with an ultra light more than any other rifle in your vault
You certainly don’t need a brake to do that.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
For sure! I have a t3 light in .338 win mag shooting 225 grains I think the 7mm would be a perfect fit for it.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
And what would you suggest has a smoother action or shoots smaller groups than a Tikka in the same price range or even twice the money.

I think he was referring to the overall look of the Tikkas. I own 2 and I sure wouldn't say they're good looking rifles. Shoot nice. Looks no.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
It’s mind blowing, the difference in the types of reply’s between this forum and others like Rokslide. People are pretty supportive over on Rokslide (or maybe just keep the negativity to themselves) and on here, its 10-1 negative to positive.

Nice buy! Hope it serves you well. What scope are you topping it with? Cheers!

ZEISS conquest rapid z 800!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Exactly why I bought it! I can handle some punishment on the recoil to save some weight haha

Old 02-28-2020, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You certainly don’t need a brake to do that.
Oh for sure
Just a suggestion
Hope it’s a shooter
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 PM

Great rifle choice and caliber! I’m glad someone asked what scope you had in mind for on top. Great choice there too, don’t listen to others negativity. They’re just jealous.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Great rifle choice and caliber! I’m glad someone asked what scope you had in mind for on top. Great choice there too, don’t listen to others negativity. They’re just jealous.
Pointing out the recoil aspect of such a light rifle, in a magnum chambering, is certainly not being jealous. I like Tikka in that price range, they have a great factory trigger, and they tend to be very accurate for factory rifles . That being said, I certainly don't choose them for their appearance, and in fact , although I do own a Tikka, I don't choose a Tikka for my go to big game rifle, although I certainly could make do with one, if I had to.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:26 AM

Good rifle. Who gives a rat's rip about recoil. If you can handle it you are golden.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Banned

The more and more than I learn and experience
The more and more I realize that there is a LOT of knowledgeable people on this forum
You can learn from the mistakes that others have made
OR you can just make your own
People are just giving you a little heads up what you might experience and options to fix it if you have a problem
Old 02-29-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Good rifle. Who gives a rat's rip about recoil. If you can handle it you are golden.
The key word being "if". Some people handle recoil very well, others do not shoot well because of the anticipation of recoil.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
This thread is making me laugh. Buy a Superlite then put a heavy stock on it.
That is exactly where you don't want weight to be- better to have a heavier barrel and lighter stock.

In any case that rifle will weigh over 7 lbs scoped. I really can't see recoil being that serious. My Forbes 280 is 6.5 and I think recoil is very tolerable even with max load 160's- which are much like factory 7 mag for velocity.

At worst, splurge on a Limbsaver Airtech.

When I was in my thirties I had my 340 Wby Rem700 down to 7lbs3 oz scoped. I launch 250's at 2960. Now there was some recoil! I used to let folks try it at the range. Only one dude ever asked for a second shot. These days it weighs closer to 9.

Congrats on a beautiful rifle. I think you will do great with it.
This!!! Please don’t put a brake on it. If it kicks too hard add weight if you must or sell and buy a 7-08 or a Swede. I have a T3x in 7mag, it’s really not a big deal.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:01 AM

You could get a brake threaded on for practicing at the range if you wanted to shoot a lot and have the gunsmith build you a threaded protector cap when you remove it for hunting as you won’t feel the recoil when your taking a kill shot.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You could get a brake threaded on for practicing at the range if you wanted to shoot a lot and have the gunsmith build you a threaded protector cap when you remove it for hunting as you won’t feel the recoil when your taking a kill shot.
If a person needs a brake to practice with their hunting rifle then the gun is too much for them.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 AM

I’m happy for the OP.
The cartridge he chose has zero flies on it, and should give a very good account of its self on any critter in North America and many critters on other continents also.
The rifle he chose is about as decent for serviceability, and accuracy potential as there is in a factory offering.

To that end enjoy your new rifle.

All the rest is just background noise, recoil, aesthetics, blah blah blah. Those are all subjective, and akin to the blonde vs. brunette, Chev vs. Ford, kind of discussions.

Try some factory offerings OP, see what shoots best in your rifle, and never look back, don’t let the peanut gallery dissuade you, it’s the off season and the comments often bandied about are a true sign of idle hands and over active imaginations.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-29-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
This!!! Please don’t put a brake on it. If it kicks too hard add weight if you must or sell and buy a 7-08 or a Swede. I have a T3x in 7mag, it’s really not a big deal.
I’m actually surprised a frail old bugger like you can still handle the recoil from a 7mag. Thought you would have switched to a 6.5 cm by now.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
If a person needs a brake to practice with their hunting rifle then the gun is too much for them.
Lol if a person needs a power steering pump in their car then it’s to much car for them.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Lol if a person needs a power steering pump in their car then it’s to much car for them.

Some get it. Many don't.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Some get it. Many don't.
True wants and needs are different but, nice to haves are built into everything we own these days.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:45 PM

I couldn’t imagine walking around with a hunting rifle with a brake on it. Stand still mr moose will I get my ear plugs in and get my muffs out of my pack. I have a couple rifles with brakes but they are 18 lbs and will never kill an animal. With all the adrenaline and excitement I’ve never heard anyone complain about recoil on a rifle when they pull the trigger on a animal.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:

Some get it. Many don't.
Learn to shoot and you don’t need a magnum rifle!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Learn to shoot and you don’t need a magnum rifle!
Buy a bow and you don’t need a rifle! Make a spear and you can start a you tube channel!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:20 PM

sns2 can you move this over to the archery forum now?
Old 02-29-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I couldn’t imagine walking around with a hunting rifle with a brake on it. Stand still mr moose will I get my ear plugs in and get my muffs out of my pack. I have a couple rifles with brakes but they are 18 lbs and will never kill an animal. With all the adrenaline and excitement I’ve never heard anyone complain about recoil on a rifle when they pull the trigger on a animal.
Actually a buddy of mine has a braked rifle and he hunts with electronic muffs on. He swears the sound magnification helps him zero in on game.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:44 PM

It’s amazing how a simple question can turn into the dumbest comments.

I don’t need a brake and not going to put one on. I have shot a 7mm before and wouldn’t buy a gun with out doing so! Not scared of the recoil just need to man up if you are! Wanted the super lite because I hunt in the mountains packing everything in on the back. Weight savings is worth a little recoil punishment.

As for the rest of you guys having a ****ing match between each other. Take it somewhere else and stop hijacking the thread. Looking for serious contributions to an honest question. Can’t provide that then move along.

Thanks to the rest of you who had valuable contributions. Looking at starting off with some hornady precision hunter!

Old 02-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
It’s amazing how a simple question can turn into the dumbest comments.

I don’t need a brake and not going to put one on. I have shot a 7mm before and wouldn’t buy a gun with out doing so! Not scared of the recoil just need to man up if you are! Wanted the super lite because I hunt in the mountains packing everything in on the back. Weight savings is worth a little recoil punishment.

As for the rest of you guys having a ****ing match between each other. Take it somewhere else and stop hijacking the thread. Looking for serious contributions to an honest question. Can’t provide that then move along.

Thanks to the rest of you who had valuable contributions. Looking at starting off with some hornady precision hunter!

So whats your question?

You do know that just because someone has the same rifle as you, it doesnt mean that your 2 rifles will shoot the same bullets with the same results.... Right?
Im assuming you're talking about box ammo here and not loading your own?

Everyone gets it, your the only backpack hunter in alberta. You dont have a flinch (yet). You dont need a brake. Gotcha. You wanna save that 1lb going in because its going to allow you to go 1000000km further. Gotcha.