Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2020, 09:03 AM

Default Micro SD for Ice Helix 7 Chirp Gps G3

Hi guys,

After searching up and down on the internet, I'm still a little confused about which micro SD to get for my helix 7 g3.

Do i need to get the zero lines map card in order to record auto chart or can i just get any standard micro sd. I plan on mounting this unit in my boat shortly and want to be prepared for the open water season....

I'm guessing for software updates i can use any regular micro sd?

Hoping someone has gone through this already and can help me out.

Thanks in advance
Adam
Old 02-28-2020, 10:26 AM

I also wonder how it works with my Helix 7 GPS G2N. I only have one card slot on the unit. If I have a large enough capacity map card can I record to the Navionics card or will that corrupt it. If I record to an autochart card then do I have to keep switching between that card and the Navionics card to access different data on each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2020, 10:27 AM

I have a regular microSD card I have used for updates.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post
I also wonder how it works with my Helix 7 GPS G2N. I only have one card slot on the unit. If I have a large enough capacity map card can I record to the Navionics card or will that corrupt it. If I record to an autochart card then do I have to keep switching between that card and the Navionics card to access different data on each?

You need the zero lines to record live data. It will let you record some to the onboard memory but once thats full it will not record to the navionics card. You will have to switch back and forth. Downside to the smaller sonars is the single sd slot.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:52 PM

For updates you can use a regular micro SD. Make sure it’s clear of all files, download the update, and follow the instructions to update your unit. Pretty simple to do.

The Helix units have enough internal memory for 8 hrs of Autochart mapping. Once you go past that it overwrites. If you want to have pretty much unlimited Autochart mapping you need to buy the Autochart Zero Lines card. They also make an Autochart Pro package that comes with PC software and the card, but it’s quite a bit more money.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-28-2020, 03:39 PM

I really like the Navionics Plus .Preloaded with ready-to-use Nautical Charts, Navionics+ is high-definition mapping in 2-D for fresh and saltwater in the USA and Canada.The card can be updated from Navionics daily if wanted.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
I really like the Navionics Plus .Preloaded with ready-to-use Nautical Charts, Navionics+ is high-definition mapping in 2-D for fresh and saltwater in the USA and Canada.The card can be updated from Navionics daily if wanted.

And Navionics requires a subscription, which is extra cost.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
And Navionics requires a subscription, which is extra cost.
Hey SamSteele . The card comes with a one year subscription. Correct after that then you need to subscribe or pay for an update.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:35 AM

If you are looking at Navionics I would see if you can put it into a display unit and see what mapping is available for the lakes you are planning to fish the most.

I had a Navionics card in the past and the bathymetric data on it was wildly inaccurate. They used the depth soundings from the old government bathymetrics maps from the 70s. These were done in a rudimentary grid pattern without the use of GPS. The depths were off and they missed a ton of detail. This combined with the requirement to pay a subscription made me frustrated and led to my move to an “on the unit” mapping solution like Autochart.

It’s possible that Navionics has changed since I had it 4 years ago, which is why I recommend looking at the map for the areas you plan to fish before you buy it.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
If you are looking at Navionics I would see if you can put it into a display unit and see what mapping is available for the lakes you are planning to fish the most.

I had a Navionics card in the past and the bathymetric data on it was wildly inaccurate. They used the depth soundings from the old government bathymetrics maps from the 70s. These were done in a rudimentary grid pattern without the use of GPS. The depths were off and they missed a ton of detail. This combined with the requirement to pay a subscription made me frustrated and led to my move to an “on the unit” mapping solution like Autochart.

It’s possible that Navionics has changed since I had it 4 years ago, which is why I recommend looking at the map for the areas you plan to fish before you buy it.
Hey guys. Totally has Navioics changed from 4 years ago. They have completely revamped all their mapping. My opinion was like yours Sam from past experience from a few years back. I was out on Cold Lake with a buddy that has the newest Navionics plus card. Wow what a difference. I was soo impressed I went out the next day and bought one. They are crazy complete now with daily updates if you want.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:21 AM

I would still be cautious using any charts. We were boating on Lac Sante last summer. We entered a bay that should have had 20 ft of water according to my new Navionics card. Fortunately we were moving slowly as the rocky bottom came up to a foot below the surface and I got the first scrape on the bottom of the motor on my new boat. Trimmed it up and backed out Had we been cruising it would have turned out worse than a scratch.