Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Thumbs down Saskatoon cash grab- Churches now.

6 families from here went to Saskatoon to a funeral on Monday. They parked in front of the church as you would. At one time there were parking meters out front, but just the poles now. There was no visible 'no parking zone' signage anywhere.

When they came out, all 6 Alberta vehicles had tickets on the windshields.

They drove around and looked, there were no places to pay, and no signs anywhere that stated it was a paid parking zone.

They all went to the City Hall to discuss the lack of signs, and were told on no uncertain terms, if you come here, we do not care you are from out of town, it is your responsibility to know that you can not park downtown for free.

They all paid, but what a joke. Are you supposed to go to every City hall every time you go to a funeral and check on that particular city's parking requirements?

I disagree with this 100% more than tint and photo radar, the other so-called cash grabs.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM

even worth in BC .....in 2018 I was in Kamloops for a couple of days;
parked at the farmers market, right in front of the parking meter, paid for 1 hour for parking and left the receipt on the dashboard as prescribed....
10 minutes later came back to drop off some stuff we bought and found a parking ticket dated 2 minutes after I purchased the parking )))) guess the reason for the ticket - "No visibly presented receipt on the dashboard"...

I took pictures with time and date..... called the Parking Company and let them know that I have enough information to take them to the court.... after about an hour of phone conversation, the manager offered me to write the ticket off but I had to pay some kind of "office expenses they have in connection with cancellation of the ticket"...... another hour later they let me go with out any apology.....
WTH? Alberta licence plate = parking ticket?????
Old 02-27-2020, 12:10 PM

Criminals come in many different forms unfortunately
Old 02-27-2020, 12:55 PM

I was visiting a friend in hospital last year. Parked in a hospital lot. When I came back I had a ticket and twenty minutes left on my receipt. I called and got it cancelled. My fil also had the same thing happen but on a city street. Judge threw it out too.Makes you wonder how much money they’re making off people by writing tickets before times done.
As well the police in the city must be told that is their top priority as well. They have traffic cops up the wazoo,but for break ins,theft ,vandalism,etc. they couldnt care less. Wonder why crime rates are through the roof????lol
Old 02-27-2020, 01:49 PM

Visit Stoon much? Don't pay it. Who cares.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:22 PM

If there were no signs they could fight it.
However, there are "pay parking zone" signs all over the metered areas.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Yeah in Saskatoon there isnt meters anymore.
Each block has 1 or 2 pay stations where you pay, changed a year or two ago.
Def can see how out of towners wouldnt know & could assume its free.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:09 PM

Was just recently in New Westminster. They have a similar metering system.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
this , along with all the thirdparty parking company .. just dont park more then a hour on their property .
Old 02-27-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Reminds me of a German tourist I met in Banff. He got a ticket for not having a Park Pass. That was my advice.

Grizz
Old 02-27-2020, 05:03 PM

Just to be clear this has nothing to do with the churches right? It's the city enforcing it?
Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM

I tell you guys a secret, just don’t tell anybody: if it is not a city issued ticket- you don’t have to pay it... the person I know told me that there is no ways enforcing it, you will get a few letters threatening to take you to the collection agency blah blah blah but it won’t go any further....
Old 02-27-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Just to be clear this has nothing to do with the churches right? It's the city enforcing it?
Correct

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 PM

City fines you better pay up... impark etc email them saying their fine is illegal as it contradicts our codes of contract law. As they can only seek damages equal to what damages they can prove. As the damages would be whatever parking fee they missed out on then offer to pay the fee ie10$ or whatever or nothing that is their option. If they refuse tell them to take you to small claims court and prove their damages. I took contract law and they just hope you pay the fine.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
City fines you better pay up... impark etc email them saying their fine is illegal as it contradicts our codes of contract law. As they can only seek damages equal to what damages they can prove. As the damages would be whatever parking fee they missed out on then offer to pay the fee ie10$ or whatever or nothing that is their option. If they refuse tell them to take you to small claims court and prove their damages. I took contract law and they just hope you pay the fine.
I agree if you actually fight it and ignore them they eventually probably leave you alone as it's probably not worth their time to chase you and pay for court costs and stuff. I can see that. Never thought about it too much but is interesting.

The way I look at it - Impark administers a service for a prescribed price - in this case a parking spot, in a lot they lease, in exchange for the rental of that spot for the prescribed time period for the spot in question.

If you choose not to pay for that parking, they can, legally, seek payment for that spot - I think where it gets "grey" is when the spot would have been $20 for the day and they try to get a $75 fine out of you.

I'm genuinely curious what the law is on this.

I can see, and agree, you owe $20 and you, who decided not to park, is kinda like a thief stealing (or renting) something that isn't yours to take for free.

And …. It certainly has no "contract" in place that prescribes these additional "damages" (fines) unless that's written somewhere in the parking lot like "$75 fine for non payment" in which case, the terms of using the lot, when you entered, are in place and if you don't meet your obligation to pay, But maybe they can have a case because the fine was posted.

Interesting thoughts - I wonder what a lawyer would say. Strictly out of curiosity.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 PM

Years ago I got a letter from the City of Red Deer thanking me for visiting their fair city. Next time you visit please note the no-parking zones or we will be obliged to issue a ticket.
I have returned often over the years and make an effort to obey all parking rules and pay my dues because of the nice letter.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:11 AM

In BC the transport cops are the CVIS - commercial vehicle inspection service.
In AB it's the DOT - department of transport.
In Sask they are literally called the Revenue Enforcement Agency

Colin
Old 02-28-2020, 06:19 AM

I got a fine last year while at Saskatoon hospital it’s a kooky system.i guess the moneys gotta come from somewhere when you have almost 1000 city employees making over 100 grand
Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 AM
Banned

Default What kind of a person would cut the heads off all the parking meters?

Just how naive do you have to be to think that some hick city would not charge for parking near a hospital or in any area adjacent to downtown? Or maybe a city a little more cosmopolitan for that matter.

The O.P. stated that he was told there were no pay boxes or signs. He was misinformed. Take a stroll with Street View. I suspect there may have been a slight embellishment in the story about the sass from City Hall as well.

Free
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Just how naive do you have to be to think that some hick city would not charge for parking near a hospital or in any area adjacent to downtown? Or maybe a city a little more cosmopolitan for that matter.

The O.P. stated that he was told there were no pay boxes or signs. He was misinformed. Take a stroll with Street View. I suspect there may have been a slight embellishment in the story about the sass from City Hall as well.

Free
Yup, always more to the story fer sure
Old 02-28-2020, 07:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Need pics of the area to verify story.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-28-2020, 08:31 AM

Well I suggest you other side of the story guys go walk the city, make sure to check out every church. Have fun post your results.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:16 AM

So you want to complain but do not want anyone to question the details. Why post the story then? You messed up and missed the sign. Pay the fine. No different than turning on a highway with a speed limit of 100 but you assumed it was 80 and missed the sign and got a ticket. Assume all downtown areas are charging a fee to park. You may be honest but I guarantee that parking lot would be full daily if it was free to park there.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
So you want to complain but do not want anyone to question the details. Why post the story then? You messed up and missed the sign. Pay the fine. No different than turning on a highway with a speed limit of 100 but you assumed it was 80 and missed the sign and got a ticket. Assume all downtown areas are charging a fee to park. You may be honest but I guarantee that parking lot would be full daily if it was free to park there.

You are always 3rd man in, for no reason.

All you want to do is fight. That's the common denominator with you, add nothing just jump on a side and spit.

I didnt mess up. I wasn't there. I was pointing out that saskatoon was doing some dirty parking cash grabs.

Guarantee all you want sitting on your phone with no dog in the race.

Friends of ours went to a funeral and all got tickets parking where there was no sign.

Off your soapbox now.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-28-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Well I suggest you other side of the story guys go walk the city, make sure to check out every church. Have fun post your results.
I know I'm on your ignore list but here goes...

Done and done. 6 downtown churches, one funeral home and the City hospital within the downtown core and all with pay boxes and plenty of signage. All with a 2 hour limit and no meter maids. Done electronically in a digital age similar to the rest of the world. Except villages, hamlets, and small towns. Without knowing which specific church you refer to (a private matter I'm sure) photos will not be possible.

The City removed all the meter coin boxes (I have one- a Christmas gift that looks good on my driveway) but left the posts as a reminder to pay up. You no longer need coins to feed the coffers.

No(Free) parking
Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 AM

How much was the fine?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You are always 3rd man in, for no reason.

All you want to do is fight. That's the common denominator with you, add nothing just jump on a side and spit.

I didnt mess up. I wasn't there. I was pointing out that saskatoon was doing some dirty parking cash grabs.

Guarantee all you want sitting on your phone with no dog in the race.

Friends of ours went to a funeral and all got tickets parking where there was no sign.

Off your soapbox now.
No one here has a dog in the race and neither do you as it didn't even happen to you. Why post if you don't want people to comment? I am not looking for a fight. lol. There is always more to the sob stories. All cities charge everywhere in the downtown. Yes it sucks for the small town people that are used to free parking. We cannot even go to a hospital in the city without paying for parking! The church parking lots would be owned by the churches so the city would only be managing the parking. Even that is doubtful as I am not sure they would be in that business. Hence why city hall couldn't do anything about it.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I know I'm on your ignore list but here goes...

Done and done. 6 downtown churches, one funeral home and the City hospital within the downtown core and all with pay boxes and plenty of signage. All with a 2 hour limit and no meter maids. Done electronically in a digital age similar to the rest of the world. Except villages, hamlets, and small towns. Without knowing which specific church you refer to (a private matter I'm sure) photos will not be possible.

The City removed all the meter coin boxes (I have one- a Christmas gift that looks good on my driveway) but left the posts as a reminder to pay up. You no longer need coins to feed the coffers.

No(Free) parking
Actually you aren't, I don't have 1. I am not that petty, and if a guy can't get over an online faceless argument at some point what good is he?
You have massive useful information, and I enjoy the majority of your posts. If you don't like me for something I have said or done, I apologize. There is no excuse.

Good follow up thank you. When they told me about it, I didn't think to call them liars and tell them to go investigate after they were done the funeral. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
How much was the fine?
They didn't say. They did say that the people from City Hall were quite ignorant and immoveable.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:58 PM

Saskatoon city hall is full of ignorant immovable a-hole. It starts at the top and runs all the way to the bottom.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:15 PM

I lived in Saskatoon for 14 years and can tell you that all churches in the down town core are paid parking, the posts where meter maids once were means u need to either use the parking app or find one of the condom vending machine looking things and input your licence plate and pay u don’t need a receipt in your window as it’s all electronic now.
I now live 10 minutes out but go downtown often was just at a funeral downtown last fall and paid parking as usual still in effect.