Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Default A different point of view from a Canadian FN. Have a read.

Got this emai the other day. Very enlightening. Worth the read.

Here we go again..

This is definitely gonna hurt feelings

People have sent me inboxes and private messages.
The majority of them are positive.
Thank you.
But the one that sticks out the most was a question about the difference between Hereditary Chiefs and elected Chiefs.

Stick with me on this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, in the old days I don't think we called them Chiefs.
Let's say that a band had five or six main families.
The members of each family would select what was called a Headsman to represent each family.
So a nation could actually have many chiefs.
One for each bloodline.
My great grandmother had five husbands.
Matilda was her name.
As each husband would die, she remarried, and as a result, there were five boys born to her.
Each with a different father.
So, there are actually five families who could claim the rights to being Hereditary chiefs.
My cousin Glen is the oldest of the oldest of the oldest, and so he is actually a hereditary chief for his family.
I am the same way.
I am the oldest of the oldest of the oldest from one of her sons.
And so on..
Being Hereditary Chief was more of a right of passage or lineage than anything else.

Let me share with you one of Canadas most well known White Hereditary Chiefs.
His name is Justin Trudeau.
Yep.
The only reason that Justin Trudeau is the Prime Minister of Canada today, is because his daddy was Pierre Elliott Trudeau.
Justin Trudeau did not earn that right.
He did not fight and kick and scratch his way through the rank and file to become a leader.
He was never in the military, nor did he ever become a lawyer or earn his position like other politicians have had to do.
He was a ski instructor and a part time drama teacher who never really saw anything through to the end.
He never did anything of significance for his fellow Canadians on his way up the political ladder to eventually become the Prime Minister.
He is just Prime Minister because his dad was one.

Are you guys following along?
I admit that this is a very simplistic way to describe him, but no one can argue that he is where he is because he had a famous dad.
It is the exact replica of the modern day Hereditary Chiefs.
Many are in that position only because their mommy or daddy was famous.
Many of them are absolutely amazing, and are true leaders who focus on the best practices for their people.
But there are those who, like Justin Trudeau are just holders of a title because they were born in the right family at the right time.
Trudeau did not win the election by having the majority vote.
He is a minority leader and is not only disliked by many Canadians, but he is actually seen as a fool by intelligent people.
This post is not meant to judge any Chief or Chiefs, but to shed some light on how a person with no skills whatsoever could find themselves in a leadership role.
How the hell did they ever get to be leaders?
Like our old friend Paul Harvey used to say:
"And now you know the rest of the story" "Good day?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN.jpg (29.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Good read. Thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-26-2020, 02:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Too many Chiefs no wonder nothing gets done....I had a Chief in the military who we called sittin'bull….he asked why and we told him the majority of his day was sitting around BS'ing…..

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-26-2020, 04:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Good read. Thank you for sharing.

X2 👆

Selkirk
Old 02-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Great info thanks for sharing..
Old 02-26-2020, 04:29 PM

One comment here - and not to defend the analogy of JT - because I largely agree with his assessment of him, except, the fact that he was elected by the voters in Canada. I didn't vote for him, nor do I support him, but his assent to out country's leader was not "given to him through hereditary linage". Either way - not an entirely fair comparison.

On the other hand, being elected a "chief", "hereditary chief" according to the author comes from being born first - being the oldest of the old ……….. no perquisite for wisdom, intelligence, leadership, just that you were born first …..

So the comparison, to me, ironically, doesn't work. In fact, it seems JT had to do more to earn his leadership position compared to a Hereditary chief.

Flame away - I'm just not buying the comparison, despite my distaste for JT and his political party.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 PM

There is no question that name recognition got Justin Trudeau a head start in the Liberal hierarchy, and with the voters.
He was elected by enough people to form a government.
Steven Harper had his turn as a Minority Government leader, under the same rules.
That the Liberals under Trudeau succeeded, despite all the flaws in their leader and failed policies, speaks volumes about the utter inadequacy of the Conservative alternative.
Winning the West is not enough to defeat the Liberals. An aspiring party has to convince a significant number of undecided voters in Ontario and Quebec, and some wavering temporary Liberals.
It has been done before. If the Conservatives ever get over their self-destructive inclinations, they will have a chance again.
This government is not a Hereditary leadership.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
There is no question that name recognition got Justin Trudeau a head start in the Liberal hierarchy, and with the voters.
He was elected by enough people to form a government.
Steven Harper had his turn as a Minority Government leader, under the same rules.
That the Liberals under Trudeau succeeded, despite all the flaws in their leader and failed policies, speaks volumes about the utter inadequacy of the Conservative alternative.
Winning the West is not enough to defeat the Liberals. An aspiring party has to convince a significant number of undecided voters in Ontario and Quebec, and some wavering temporary Liberals.
It has been done before. If the Conservatives ever get over their self-destructive inclinations, they will have a chance again.
This government is not a Hereditary leadership.

Are you suggesting Stephen Harper lost the popular vote like trudeau did? I’m not saying you’re wrong because I’m not sure but the numbers I’ve seen suggest otherwise.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:28 PM

Pretty sure he's a member here. Great post
Old 02-26-2020, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
One comment here - and not to defend the analogy of JT - because I largely agree with his assessment of him, except, the fact that he was elected by the voters in Canada. I didn't vote for him, nor do I support him, but his assent to out country's leader was not "given to him through hereditary linage". Either way - not an entirely fair comparison.

On the other hand, being elected a "chief", "hereditary chief" according to the author comes from being born first - being the oldest of the old ……….. no perquisite for wisdom, intelligence, leadership, just that you were born first …..

So the comparison, to me, ironically, doesn't work. In fact, it seems JT had to do more to earn his leadership position compared to a Hereditary chief.

Flame away - I'm just not buying the comparison, despite my distaste for JT and his political party.
I think his point is that if Pierre hadn’t been Justin’s father he would not be our Prime Minister. The media treated him like he was his father incarnate from the get to... like him or not Pierre was a very smart man and politician.
His son is anything but.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I think his point is that if Pierre hadn’t been Justin’s father he would not be our Prime Minister. The media treated him like he was his father incarnate from the get to... like him or not Pierre was a very smart man and politician.
His son is anything but.
thats how i read it , and totally agree . jt had to win an election but without his heritage i doubt he would of won the leadership race let alone the position of pm .
Old 02-26-2020, 06:30 PM

In because of skin.
I can’t believe people voted for the fool.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Yup...that's whynI just chucked out a random post....kinda relevant but not really....

Old 02-26-2020, 07:17 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Until reading it I didn’t understand Hereditary Chiefs, even after working with many First Nations over the span of my career.

But I wouldn't compare Trudeau to a Hereditary Chief. At best, I would compare him to a high school Prom King.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
His son is anything but.
Yes. And I agree. His last name certainly allowed all the fools to believe he is smart enough, and has the qualifications, to become the Prime Minister. His father likely would have recognized and tried to address what's happening out here in the west - the once breadbasket of Canada.

Problem is the fools line up to support him once again and we get shafted once again.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM

Hereditary succession is about legitimacy. It’s used all over the world and the hereditary chiefs have been able to overtake the elected ones in the popular perception of their legitimacy and why not, the govt owns elected chiefs jobs
Old 02-26-2020, 08:04 PM
Banned

I am in no way trying to de-rail this thread BUT speaking of a different point of view from a Canadian FN...this guy is impressive..https://www.facebook.com/harley.munr...3970538774338/
This is a FB link..His name is Harley Munro...Go to the RECENT comment...Man he has some FN haters...hard to believe I thought he did a bang up job
Old 02-26-2020, 08:05 PM

Can someone please explain Indigenous to me? I'm at least 3rd generation Albertan/Canadian! Where do we draw the line? Chinese/Asian crossed the land bridge= Indigenous people.?????????????????????

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-26-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
thats how i read it , and totally agree . jt had to win an election but without his heritage i doubt he would of won the leadership race let alone the position of pm .
Absolutely agree. He didn’t becom the liberal leader by being a part time drama teacher or a ski instructor or by not completing anything he ever started. The shiny pony got where he is by his last name only.

BW
Old 02-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
I am in no way trying to de-rail this thread BUT speaking of a different point of view from a Canadian FN...this guy is impressive..https://www.facebook.com/harley.munr...3970538774338/
This is a FB link..His name is Harley Munro...Go to the RECENT comment...Man he has some FN haters...hard to believe I thought he did a bang up job
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

If the government paid that man $5 million a year to talk to fn youths on the reserves they would save billions. Literally.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:20 AM

Actually I believe the voters that matter- that is,the voters east of Manitoba, in 2015 were determined to oust Harper's government but until the Turd came along were not so sure it could be done, and some were sitting on the fence, hence the polls of the time didn't indicate a liberal majority.
So in comes J.Trudeau with the nice hair and that famous name. With some wildly ambitious though empty promises, Trudeau's campaign people successfully influenced eastern voters enough that they now thought they had a winner.
So now history has proved that good looks and famous lineage doesn't neccesarily mean substance. Eastern voters are just a bit slower at learning from history.
Hereditary Chief? I hope Canadian voters aren't naive enough to believe that would work out. But I've never been east of Manitoba...
Old 02-27-2020, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Can someone please explain Indigenous to me? I'm at least 3rd generation Albertan/Canadian! Where do we draw the line? Chinese/Asian crossed the land bridge= Indigenous people.?????????????????????
originating or occurring naturally in a particular place....there will never be a line drawn....too late for that....someone might get upset.

Harley Munro..our new PM?....

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-27-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
When he started screaming about his hardships and living in a tiny shack with 9 siblings he lost me. It turned into a 'watch what these guys do' into oh poor me.....

Started ok ended weak.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When he started screaming about his hardships and living in a tiny shack with 9 siblings he lost me. It turned into a 'watch what these guys do' into oh poor me.....

Started ok ended weak.
put him with the turd in a room...turd want dialogue well he got it....Canadian first

Old 02-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Hereditary succession is about legitimacy. It’s used all over the world and the hereditary chiefs have been able to overtake the elected ones in the popular perception of their legitimacy and why not, the govt owns elected chiefs jobs
Well how foolish of me it turns out the govt owns the hereditary chiefs jobs and 80 percent of their operation too
Old 02-27-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
His son is anything but.
Yes, that's the way I see it also. I definitely didn't like Pierre, but I have to give him some credit for intelligence. These days the turd looks like a deer in the headlights. Absolutely no idea or clue what to do next. Didn't even have the ba**s to show up in parliament on Tuesday. He sure took a kicking Monday and it looked great on him!

There will never, ever be enough appeasement for some FN people. Only way is depart Canada and return to the country your ancestors came from. Actually that probably wouldn't be enough either. Return the land to the same state it was in 400 years ago as well as leave all your possessions behind. Hummmm. Maybe.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:49 AM

What a mess....

This thread is as confused as the OP's message.

Most will definitely be dumber for accepting this "education" on hereditary chiefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Well how foolish of me it turns out the govt owns the hereditary chiefs jobs and 80 percent of their operation too
?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-27-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What a mess....

Most will definitely be dumber for accepting this "education" on hereditary chiefs.

?
A mess you say, you came on here telling us about an act of war or cold war against your country by those that gave you your name.

And you think this one story is going to educate us, go back and tell them kiss my arrs. You guys are embarrassing so many FN's people ,but you guys have another agenda and the hell with them . Mass confusion is fathers day on a reserve never mind hereditary chiefs.

JD
Old 02-27-2020, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Here’s another video from Harley Munro

https://youtu.be/QCuvcJqMh2k
Old 02-28-2020, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=walking buffalo;4117762]What a mess....

If the information originally posted is inaccurate (it may be), why don't you educate us on the real truth? That way confusion and dumb can hopefully be eliminated. Not looking for a big debate here, just accurate information.