Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Leupold M8-6x

Hello
Have a older gloss M8- 6 power scope and was wondering what a fair asking price is have seen them advertised for $250 to $400
Thanks for your time
Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 AM

The last two I bought I think I paid $275 for one and $300 for the other
Cat
Old 02-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Hello
Have a older gloss M8- 6 power scope and was wondering what a fair asking price is have seen them advertised for $250 to $400
Thanks for your time
There is very often a BIG difference between asking and actual selling. I would not even reply to a $250 ask.
The AO B&S is full of optimistic asks for medium or low quality and demand goods.
I see little evidence of any current economic recovery.

A couple of years ago, I purchased an M8 4x for $50 asking price, from a firearms & hunting instructor's yard sale, nobody else was interested at that price.
I recently purchased a Swaro Habicht 6x for $175, and a Weaver K-6 for $50
and a Bushnell Scopechief (made in Japan) for $70 (probably overpaid and could have negotiated lower, but I had purchased a bunch of other 'good stuff' from the seller for a very reasonable price, so just thought of it as part of a fair lot). All were at the end of a major Calgary Show, after many hundreds of people had declined.
At the same Show I passed on an M8 6x Compact @ ~250. and 2 Swaro 6x @ $600 ask, I did not even make any offer. They all went home unsold, and I suspect we will see them at the same seller's tables for many more Shows.

All these scopes I purchased were very usable and very good or excellent quality with no dings scratches or ring-marks, and I have no desire to sell them, but current designs, turrets, coatings, and glass may have better performance, and will certainly have much better warranty.

I have also recently purchased an NXS 15x & NXS 22x and a S&B PMII 15x for <$2000, These scopes were LNIB.

I would probably buy your scope for $75-100, but only if in good condition and FTF (face to face, I am in Calgary area).

Only you can decide what your stuff is worth to keep or if you are really a motivated seller.
Using it yourself is probably your best value option.
P.T. Barnum would wait for an unknowing buyer.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM

In my experience it may sell for $250, and more likely for "$240 shipped" or something like that. Assuming minimal ring marks and unblemished lenses.

They really are a dime a dozen.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
There is very often a BIG difference between asking and actual selling. I would not even reply to a $250 ask.
The AO B&S is full of optimistic asks for medium or low quality and demand goods.

A couple of years ago, I purchased an M8 4x for $50 asking price, from a firearms & hunting instructor's yard sale, nobody else was interested at that price.

Good Luck, YMMV.
$50?? I'd buy everyone I saw if that is what they go for in that case.
However I don't need anymore scopes.......
Cat
Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I recently purchased a Swaro Habicht 6x for $175, and a Weaver K-6 for $50
and a Bushnell Scopechief (made in Japan) for $70 (probably overpaid and could have negotiated lower, but I had purchased a bunch of other 'good stuff' from the seller for a very reasonable price, so just thought of it as part of a fair lot). All were at the end of a major Calgary Show, after many hundreds of people had declined.
At the same Show I passed on an M8 6x Compact @ ~250. and 2 Swaro 6x @ $600 ask, I did not even make any offer. They all went home unsold, and I suspect we will see them at the same seller's tables for many more Shows.

All these scopes I purchased were very usable and very good or excellent quality with no dings scratches or ring-marks, and I have no desire to sell them, but current designs, turrets, coatings, and glass may have better performance, and will certainly have much better warranty.

I have also recently purchased an NXS 15x & NXS 22x and a S&B PMII 15x for <$2000, These scopes were LNIB.

I would probably buy your scope for $75-100, but only if in good condition and FTF (face to face, I am in Calgary area).

Only you can decide what your stuff is worth to keep or if you are really a motivated seller.
Using it yourself is probably your best value option.
P.T. Barnum would wait for an unknowing buyer.

Good Luck, YMMV.
your so full of crap your eyes are brown qwert. ymmv

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
X2. Wow..... a Leupold Model M8 straight 6 power for 75-100 dollars?? Ill take 6 please. LOL
Old 02-22-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
$50?? I'd buy everyone I saw if that is what they go for in that case.
However I don't need anymore scopes.......
Cat
I was very happy with that purchase, as it was perfect for my lever gun, and my old eyes that are having trouble with open irons. It certainly smartened up my groups and made load development a LOT easier. It was also the same vintage as the rifle and looks like it always lived there. (However I like the Swaro MUCH better.)

I think that fixed magnification scopes are often excellent value, and I much prefer a quality fixed to a similarly priced variable. However there are some very good fixed scopes available new for quite good prices, and they are likely to have better turrets, glass and coatings, and great warranties. Buying new also gives more choice of objective and body size and can reduce the need for mounting compromise.

IMHO, the various 'kit' rifles would be far better value if mounted with a good fixed mag scope, but the market does not seem to agree with me.
Most buyers do not want fixed scopes, and do not recognize their advantages.

I don't need anymore scopes either, but they can be a good excuse to get another rifle. I buy quality whenever I find it.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Not a bit of exaggeration, and you were at the Shows and I suspect know the sellers.
I have verifiable Bills of Sale for most, if you would like to make a small wager.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Ok thanks guys looks like $300 it is.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Not a bit of exaggeration, and you were at the Shows and I suspect know the sellers.
I have verifiable Bills of Sale for most, if you would like to make a small wager.

Good Luck, YMMV.
The question was asked about Leupold M8's , not older Weavers or Bushnells.
If you picked up a Habicht good on you,. but that is not a normal price either.
Cat
Old 02-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks guys looks like $300 it is.
With Respect and Best Wishes,

For $300 I would add some $ and buy new, (with full lifetime warranty).
But then, like Cat, I do not need another scope.

That is the challenge of the marketplace,
we all perceive value differently,
and have differing needs, requirements and resources.

What will a dealer accept fora new
Weaver Classic K-6x38?
or a Leupold FXII 6x36?
or Burris FFII 6x36?

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 PM

is your scope a 36 or 42mm objective? can be up to $50 difference, with preference going 42's usually.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The question was asked about Leupold M8's , not older Weavers or Bushnells.
If you picked up a Habicht good on you,. but that is not a normal price either.
Cat
The M8 is not a current model either.
I suspect the Bushnell was a similar vintage, but lower price point new?

The Weaver was current production and looks like new never mounted, but I have not checked the serial number for year of mfg. The seller also had a 4x and I probably should have purchased both, (for an even better deal?)

I included the Scopechief because I purchased at a similar time and the Japan builts have a reputation for good quality and unrecognized value. Most buyers just see a 'Bushnell' and assume low quality early Chinese. I wanted to compare and judge for myself.

I suspect most buyers of used scopes are 'flexible' as to brand, and am well aware of the perceived value of Korth service, (but Trace is also local in Calgary and with good reports)

The point I was trying to make is that there is very cost effective value for those willing to watch and wait. Most hunters have acquired this skill.

All my purchases were from experienced and knowing shooters and dealers, none was advantage taken from a 'widow'.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 02-22-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
is your scope a 36 or 42mm objective? can be up to $50 difference, with preference going 42's usually.
The M8 is 4x33, price was 'asking', and I did not attempt to negotiate.
I actually liked that it was a small objective as that looks good on a lever, and the exit pupil is much larger than my old eye can utilize.

No offense intended or taken.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
AFAIK,
Leupold
FX-II 4x33 & 6x36 are US$389.msrp
FX-3 6x42 is US$519.msrp
There is also an FX3 6x42 AO for US$???msrp

Weaver
Classic K-6x38 is US$261.msrp

'Dealer may sell for less'.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
AFAIK,
Leupold
FX-II 4x33 & 6x36 are US$389.msrp
FX-3 6x42 is US$519.msrp
There is also an FX3 6x42 AO for US$???msrp

Weaver
Classic K-6x38 is US$261.msrp

'Dealer may sell for less'.

Good Luck, YMMV.
nobody gives a crap about your scopes. op asked what his is worth. if you want to give us all a lesson on how to buy scopes at 80% of actual market value, start a new thread or get a youtube channel running.
and by the way, your mileage will not vary

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Im guessing 36mm so is asking $300 shipped is that out of line.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM

Only way to find out is to put it in the buy and sell!
Cat
Old 02-22-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Im guessing 36mm so is asking $300 shipped is that out of line.
Thanks
perfect place to start, if no one steps up you can always take a little less to move it along. nothing like a free market society to help people understand what merket value of their goods is.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

I get a kick out of guys selling used for dam near new costs lol you can tell when there asking to much just buy how many bumps they have.