Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

Default Public school excludes disabled students yearbook photos

Langley HD Stafford middle school excluded a friend of a friend's autistic sons photo in their yearbook and other children with disabilities as well. Very very sad that they would do that. Hope someone is held accountable for this.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Banned

Gotta admit, I always question 'the friend of a friend' stories.
In this day and age I can't see this happening.
Willing to bet there's more to this story.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:52 PM

Anyone is free to read about it online. The special needs class only got a collage with "we play" written on it (or something to that effect). Every other class got proper pictures with names and such. It is disgusting and they should be remade. The pictures were all taken. Someone just decided that his class wasn't worthy
Old 09-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Banned

http://globalnews.ca/news/2926948/la...from-yearbook/
Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM

IMO, all yearbooks should be recalled and replaced with the corrected version. If the oversight was just an oversight, that remedies the situation. If the student, or group of students was intentionally excluded, disciplinary action should follow the re-issue.
I assume the District has policy regarding the authorized release of school photos. Given privacy considerations, I suspect school yearbooks will (and likely have already have in many schools) become a thing of the past.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

Now that it is shown to be more than hearsay, I'm in complete agreement.
Even if an 'oversight'...completely unacceptable and as 260 says, the existing yearbooks should be recalled and replaced.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 AM

"It was a mistake" doesn't seem to cut it if JUST the disabled kids were left out. There was a reason, however misguided, why it was done. The only thing I can possibly think of is that they didn't want to publicly label the class as disabled and show their membership, as might breach privacy legislation. But I think there could be a reasonable work-around for that. Either just call the class "8c" or something like that, or get parental consent. What they did was just wrong. Need more oversight than just the one teacher (probably a rookie) who was assigned to ride herd on the yearbook committee.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:36 AM

This really hits home as my son is autistic and just started school. I read the article and it made me see red. Completely uncalled for if I that happened to my child I would be tearing a strip up and down that principal and I don't wanna even think of the savagery that my wife would conduct. Rant over.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk