Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Minor PAL license

Can someone clear this up for me, I was just reading the website and don't see much point in it. It says a minor doesn't need it to hunt or shoot if he's in direct contact with a parent or guardian (with a pal). I always thought a minor had to be in direct contact while hunting with a firearm regardless, so what's the point in this license?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:38 AM

When I was 16 (about the year 2000) I got a youth license and one of the conditions I had was that I was permitted to only hunt on my families land without an adult. I think they gave me that because I told them I wanted it to hunt on our land. I was also allowed to buy ammo and I assume I was allowed to buy a firearm, but I never tried that.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

It's something that makes it so that a youth can hunt more than "direct control" away from the other person having a PAL. So if I was hunting with my son, he could walk one side of the property and I can walk the other side.

There are youths out there that show better safety, firearms control, and better skill (although firearms skill has nothing to do with it) than some experienced shooters that I know.

I like the idea of it, although it comes to the instructor and the guardians of said youth to determine whether or not the youth can have one, and then to the CFO to determine if that youth is allowed and what conditions shall apply to them. I know of one youth that was allowed to be within 10km of his house in possession, and like was said above, some that are on their own property.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Fair enough, thanks guys