Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-15-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Shooting after shoulder surgery

Had my rotator cuff and shoulder socket rebuilt 3 weeks ago on my shooting arm and was wondering if anyone else has had this done. Were you able to get back to shooting or should i look to changing sides. Currently i am a southpaw and have been an active shooter over 40 years and wont be giving it up if i have any say in it.
Doctors are saying 12 months before i can lift 15 pounds again and was no help on returning to shooting questions i asked. I have been sitting at the reloading press the better part of 2 weeks and it would be nice to be able to use all this ammo i rolled up.
Any personal stories of healing or switching sides would be great.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:32 PM

I was off shooting centrtfire for a year with a shoulder injury , don't push it , stick to the 22's
Cat
Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 PM

I'd be interested to know too. Left shoulder is being done on the 27th and right one in about 6 months depending on how rehab goes on the left.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 PM

I do not have any injuries, I would recommend that you either change shoulders or wait to shoot until the Doctor clears you.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Interesting post, I will try to follow it.

Last fall I broke my shoulder blade and some ribs and damaged the rotator cuff. I have got most of the use back but not all of it. Last month I was cutting tree branches with a pole saw and felt pain in the shoulder blade and I stopped. I am going to keep experimenting as to the cure limits of my shoulder to see if I can resume shooting big bore. Don't want to damage what has already healed, don't want to set myself back.

If you run across a way to speed up healing, please let us know.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:47 PM

Make physio your new addiction. Stretch and strengthen the shoulder as often/much as you can. Stretch and strengthen. Of course, follow the direction given by your doctor and therapist.

After shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, I thought I was done. Even a 243 hurt like fire. After a year I could handle a 270. A couple of years later, things were back to normal. I could go to the range and fire anything that I own with no ill effects.

Every injury is different, but a guy's gotta have hope.

However, I hafta say, my dreams of walking in from the bullpen in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the world series have been flushed down the toilet.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Make physio your new addiction. Stretch and strengthen the shoulder as often/much as you can. Stretch and strengthen. Of course, follow the direction given by your doctor and therapist.

After shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, I thought I was done. Even a 243 hurt like fire. After a year I could handle a 270. A couple of years later, things were back to normal. I could go to the range and fire anything that I own with no ill effects.

Every injury is different, but a guy's gotta have hope.

However, I hafta say, my dreams of walking in from the bullpen in the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the world series have been flushed down the toilet.
Great advice here! Follow your surgeon's direction and get to know your physio really well. Then, work hard at your rehabilitation. I've managed to get back to shooting both a rifle and a bow after having a similar shoulder surgery on both shoulders. Give yourself a solid 4 months or so for shooting to start to feel normal.

Best of luck with your recovery and the upcoming hunting season!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 PM

I have a good solution. Treat yourself to a lovely Anschutz 22lr. Sell it when your shoulder gets better. Problem solved.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have a good solution. Treat yourself to a lovely Anschutz 22lr. Sell it when your shoulder gets better. Problem solved.
x2... but keep it too
JUST DONT RUSH/PUSH IT. Shoulders, knees, etc. are a b$%&* as you know.. pick a nice name for those exercise bands and swear at them often. I blew my shoulder and tore 75% of my bicep. Doc told me I wouldn't be wiping my own Hiney anytime soon or lift more than 15 pounds for eight months-year. I was doing all of that in half the time. We all heal differently. Like I said just don't push it - too hard
Old 07-16-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
I'd be interested to know too. Left shoulder is being done on the 27th and right one in about 6 months depending on how rehab goes on the left.
Take it slow bud. I had my right one done for the 4th time on May 27th. I will not shoot anything bigger than a .22, until I have to start preparing for the upcoming season.

The next one is a total replacement soooooo I do not want that.
Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:36 AM

contact Alpine Guy, think he had the same a couple of years ago.

Grizz
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM

I have been doing intense physio (3-4 days a week) for the last 15 months trying to avoid the surgery i just had. Start physio again next week to get the shoulder moving again and start the process of recovery.

I do see alot of small bore in my future and my CZ and Anschutz .22s will get a good workout until i get the go ahead to move up again. Looks like it will be a race to make hunting season so its good to have a goal.

Thanks to all that responded.