Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Banned

Default Whats The Best Firearm for Ducks!

Just wondering what firearm is good for ducks ; i would rather not get a shotgun. I was thinking a 22 .so i would like some info ;before i go out and buy any 22... i would rather go home with something instead of empty handed when i head out hunting..
Old 07-13-2016, 11:31 PM

I think reading the hunting regulations would be a fine start. Check out the 2015 since the 2016 arent out yet and you will get a good answer.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 PM

You really need to read the waterfowl regulations.
It is illegal to use a rifle fir ducks, gotta be a shotgun
Cat
Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You really need to read the waterfowl regulations.
It is illegal to use a rifle fir ducks, gotta be a shotgun
Cat
Yup , rifle firing a single projectile is illegal , however you could go with archery equipment if up for the challenge .
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime pops View Post
Just wondering what firearm is good for ducks ; i would rather not get a shotgun. I was thinking a 22 .so i would like some info ;before i go out and buy any 22... i would rather go home with something instead of empty handed when i head out hunting..
Yah....shotgun or archery is your choice.

LC
Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Banned

Kinda scary that you have a firearm license and ask that question let alone passed hunters Ed
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM

.50 bmg
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM

Recurve all the way. Old school or nothing.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:34 AM

I think most firearms small enough to be operated by a duck would be prohibited. Plus, you might have to have a gunsmith custom design a trigger to be operated by the webbed foot.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Does the duck in question have a PAL?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:46 AM

OP l like your question, it goes well with your tag-line. You were kidding right?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:52 AM

If you don't want to use a shotgun just sexualy identify as a duck. They will then give you special consideration and you can use you 22 lr instead of a shotgun.

If this was a serious question then read up on the regs is my only real suggestion.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Kinda scary that you have a firearm license and ask that question let alone passed hunters Ed
This...
Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM

it's illegal to use one projectile gun for waterfowl. If you don't like 12 gouge kick use smaller caliber shotgun (e.g. 20).
Old 07-14-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
.50 bmg
Beat me to it.

Or how about the .950 JDJ?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I think most firearms small enough to be operated by a duck would be prohibited. Plus, you might have to have a gunsmith custom design a trigger to be operated by the webbed foot.
Made my day!

Too funny.

If people are going to customize shotties for ducks..

I'm gonna have to weld me up a new blind for this fall.

Either way... They better be restricted to not use rifled projectiles either. Don't need them taking long range potshots at us. We got to have a sporting chance..
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-14-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Probably something that's "minute of man"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Made my day!

Too funny.

If people are going to customize shotties for ducks..

I'm gonna have to weld me up a new blind for this fall.

Either way... They better be restricted to not use rifled projectiles either. Don't need them taking long range potshots at us. We got to have a sporting chance..
I've got one of those buddies that always tells me "hunting isn't a sport until the animals can shoot back"..... Damn ...I can't believe I have to make this phone call!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 PM

I sure hope Donald's gun isn't fully quackomatic. He is sure to be crossing lucrative waters

Sent from my photon beam particle emitter
Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Native?

If so ruger 77/22 and have at it.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:36 AM
Banned

Default Is this a Forum?

Quote:
Is this the Alberta outdoors forum.... im sure i can ask what is the right firearm...& if it requires a shot gun;..ill get.... Idiots shoot targets and leave it hanging there all littered with shell casings and leave live rounds littered on ground & i sure hope Isaac or Slim Jim aint your daddy... lol

Last edited by fulltime pops; 07-15-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 AM
Banned

Default Shot gun it is! 👍

Will buy a shot gun... never wanted get one; but if its for ducks and 100% legal . I will get one.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
No doubt.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Will buy a shot gun... never wanted get one; but if its for ducks and 100% legal . I will get one.
You might want to read all of the regulations as well. And if you haven't held a hunting license before, you will need to take the hunter education course.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 07-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

Fulltimepops...why ask a question like that when you know the answer then? Hope I never encounter you in the field. Btw make sure they are ducks you be shooting at and not bald eagles
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Btw make sure they are ducks you be shooting at and not bald eagles
Or decoys around my blind!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 AM

Smile A different idea.

You don't hunt, I get it. If you just want some ducks and don't own a gun, get a dog. When I was a young fellow I used to hunt ducks east of Calgary and I had a very good dog. If I went out after work during the week she would often pick up 4 or 5 cripples before I got my tie off. I'd shoot a few and that would be my limit.

Any duck habitat near a big city will have cripples on the water in the rushes left by hunters who don't have a dog, don't be one of them. So once the season opens you will be able to get lots of ducks without firing a shot.

So buy a breed of your choice and spend some quality time with man's best friend.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You might want to read all of the regulations as well. And if you haven't held a hunting license before, you will need to take the hunter education course.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Also maybe go out with someone willing to teach you the basics after you have all the correct courses . Hire a guide maybe ? If you rather not I hear there are some really good places that sell duck
Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
You don't hunt, I get it. If you just want some ducks and don't own a gun, get a dog. When I was a young fellow I used to hunt ducks east of Calgary and I had a very good dog. If I went out after work during the week she would often pick up 4 or 5 cripples before I got my tie off. I'd shoot a few and that would be my limit.

Any duck habitat near a big city will have cripples on the water in the rushes left by hunters who don't have a dog, don't be one of them. So once the season opens you will be able to get lots of ducks without firing a shot.

So buy a breed of your choice and spend some quality time with man's best friend.
And don't shoot the dog either
Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

And if you want pheasants to go with the ducks, visit a larger release site late on a Saturday afternoon with a good dog, and you will likely have your limit of pheasants in short order without firing a shot.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Banned

Default ⚠discussion is now closed ⚠

All done ; got all helpfull info... thanks to all who responded positively & never ment to ruffle any feathers...
Closed Thread

Tags
ducks, firearm, hunting