Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
anyone shoot a winchester sxp? gas assisted pump?
If you eat a lot of home made chili beforehand, wouldn't that give you a gas assist?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

I purchased a Supernova a few years back and was very happy with it. Got a good deal on a semi a couple years ago so one of my sons has the Supernova now but the gun fit me well, cycled well, and overall was very reliable.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
anyone shoot a winchester sxp? gas assisted pump?
I have one
it has never failed firing or ejecting
it takes a little getting used to the action opening up part way I tend to forget to finish the cycle but the gun itself is a good gun , use it as a spare in the goose blinds and shooting trap
I've had no mechanical problems with mine
and browning invector plus choke tubes fit in it so no problems finding spare choke tubes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM

I'm a right and my twin brother is a lefty. Both got super nova's for our first shotguns and love them to death. He never complained ounce about any issues being a lefty with a super nova. Way better quality and feel than an 870. Also the recoil reduction is very nice. Since then we've both upgraded to autos (him a lefty sbe 2, me a right handed a400) but the ol supernovas still make it out from time to time!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGun96 View Post
I'm a right and my twin brother is a lefty. Both got super nova's for our first shotguns and love them to death. He never complained ounce about any issues being a lefty with a super nova. Way better quality and feel than an 870. Also the recoil reduction is very nice. Since then we've both upgraded to autos (him a lefty sbe 2, me a right handed a400) but the ol supernovas still make it out from time to time!
That's a matter of opinion, I hunted with a fellow who owned a supernova and I did not care for it. We had an ongoing joke for awhile, I would tell him that I felt like we should be shooting storm troopers with that gun instead of ducks, and he would respond that if I just pretended the ducks were space ships it would all seem normal.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboots View Post
Have one, Its not gas assisted, inertia assisted, Awesome Shotgun, hasnt left me down once, shoots everything, solid action and never jammed. I went with the SXP because it looked cleaner then the Mossberg and the 870 express. the pump rails on the SXP also seem more durable.

Hardly any recoil compared to a wingmaster or an over under. shoot a 3.5 and she feels like a 3in.
Could you explain the difference between gas assisted and inertia assisted to me? Something causes that slide to partially open, if it is not the force from the rapidly expanding gas, then what is causing the slide to move? I'm sorry I don't understand. If it is inertia, then from what?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboots View Post
Have one, Its not gas assisted, inertia assisted, Awesome Shotgun, hasnt left me down once, shoots everything, solid action and never jammed. I went with the SXP because it looked cleaner then the Mossberg and the 870 express. the pump rails on the SXP also seem more durable.
x2, I got the SXP field 28" and camp 18" combo, as it seemed versatile and cost effective.
The inertial eject seems automatic and works well with a little practice.

I like the easy break down and removable trigger assembly.
I wish the receiver had been D&T for a rail.
I hope to mount the 'defender' rail with the integral peep.

Good Luck, YMMV.