Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Default Anchor sites

I've read a couple threads on here and they seem to get good reviews. As a new archer I'm thinking of getting one if it will help me improve my shooting. Should I get one and try it out? How exactly do they work? Does it negate the need for my peep sight? Are they easy to install?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Hogie they are easy to install and help a lot of shooters that dont want a peep...it will help eliminate the peep...its a system that you look thru and line up a dot in a circle telling you bow is level and your sight line is optinum..its a little slower than using no peep at all...but better than a peep IMHO

Neil
Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM

I've never used a peep. I put on an anchor site a few months ago. Have only shot my bows in the basement since then. The reason I put one on is primarily to double check my form when in a tree stand or wearing heavy clothes....especially a hat that covers my ears (since I anchor with my index finder knuckle into the hollow underneath my ear). It tells you if you are torqueing the bow or not using your usual form. Similar to levelling a compass with a bubble device.....you adjust it so that the dot of the anchor site is centered in the bubble when you are in your usual shooting form. It's all about maintaining consistency of form. I hate peeps..............never have used them and never will.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Hogie,

This morning I took delivery of my new mathews bow from Lost Arrow (Hurray)who had also installed for me an IQ Retina anchor sight. Prior to this i used the usual peep sight but after reading some threads I was interested in eliminating the peep and opening the field of view - I find trying to look through a narrow apperture at multiple pins whilst simultaneously trying to track a deer overly cluttered and sometimes, especially in limited light, confusing.

I tuned up the IQ sight in about 20 mins and after shooting about thirty arrows I can not believe the positive difference. The anchor sighting system IMO is much more intuitive and is excellent at promoting good grip and posture. I have only tested at 20 yards but already shooting 3 inch groups with a bow that is new to me. More importantly for me the FOV is open and lining up the pins with the target is much quicker with elimination of the peep.

I am also fairly new to bow hunting and recommend you try this system - for me it is much easier to group, and at the same time understand whether the bow is being held and released in a consistent and proper manner.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Glad it made it and your happy with it...the IQ and bow should treat you very well..the combo will make a very accurate bow for you...post the Hood pic when it comes ...lol

Neil
Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM

love my anchor site my anchor feels 100 times more consistant
Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM

I like them both...personally I would use the Anchor Site as an older shooter as there is much bigger view for us reading glasses gang ...lol

Both are the best in achieving the same results...the IQ gives you the combo of sights and anchor type sight ...whereas the Anchor is much bigger and allows the use of your favorite sight...

Both will achieve not using a "training wheel" ..errrr.. I mean peep sight...lol joking guys...

Neil
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Hi Neil (lost arrow),

Love the bow and how you have set it up. The kisser button, sight line up and rest where all spot on for my draw. Just had to dial in the IQ and I was set to go. The quiver should arrive later this week and I will post a picture with it all set up.

Thx again for all your help.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Hi Neil (lost arrow),

Love the bow and how you have set it up. The kisser button, sight line up and rest where all spot on for my draw. Just had to dial in the IQ and I was set to go. The quiver should arrive later this week and I will post a picture with it all set up.

Thx again for all your help.
Outstanding...do post that pic... don't wreak too many arrows...lol

Neil