Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Default New bow sights

This past weekend i mounted my anchor site and went out to tune my bow and get some practice in. I gotta say the anchor sight is pretty slick. The only problem I had bought myself a new 8-pin sight for christmas and I just find it wayyy to congested. So i took it off and gave it to my little brother. Any suggestions on what kind or model of sight i should look at... I really liked the AXT Driver 4 pin, has anyone used this sight. Any suggestions/help is appreciated
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Most common is the five pin..20-30-40-50& 60 yd pins... further than most can shoot efficently....a good quaility fiber optic for low light...the are all not equal...to mentionm a couple the Axion AX-505AP GLX or the Montana Black Gold..tuff and brightest out there...

For flat ground 1st and 2nd axis is great for hilly or mountains a third axis sight with level may be more suitable...

Neil
Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM

I just picked up a G5 optix RX. It has 3 fixed pins and one adjustable floater. I have the 3 fixed sighted into 20,30 and 40 and leave the floater at 50. In the rare case where I might shoot 60 or 70 I can dial the bottom pin in. I like this set up because my sight is not congested with pins but sill have the ability to zero in for a longer shot. It is available in several colours. I went with lost camo to match my Helim which was another plus for me.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Spot Hogg. Check them out!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Im thinking about the Trophy Ridge React when I pick out my new bow.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Spot Hogg. Check them out!
X2...they are all but bullet proof.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 AM

get something with micro adjust, i find the individual pin micro adjust on the spott hoggs to be a PITA tho, but thats probably just me lol

-wally
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM

I haven't shot it yet but just picked up a Black Gold Ascent with a 5 pin head. First 4 pins are 20, 30, 40, and 50 and the last one can be dialed in for long range gopher hunting. They are bright and well built, I'd definitely recommend them.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
get something with micro adjust, i find the individual pin micro adjust on the spott hoggs to be a PITA tho, but thats probably just me lol

-wally
No, I think if there was one thing they could imporve upon it wold be that. You are not alone!

Norm
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Im thinking about the Trophy Ridge React when I pick out my new bow.
I might think twice about that. I was wondering about how they compensate betwen the difference in ballistics between a bow that goes 260 fps and a bow that gos 350 fps so I emailed thm and asked. Their reply was that "the speed did not matter, it worked for anything in that range". I emailed them back and asked if they were trying to tell me that the external balistics for the same arrow doing those 2 drastically different speeds were exactly the same, meaning that the arrow will follow the same arc no matter what the speed is? Their reply was " that they had no way to compesate for speed differences in their sight and that it just worked for those speeds". I laughed and wrote them off.

Norm
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM

Thats y i ditched the spothogg hated that sight heavy to extreame sights r the ansewer light easy to adjust simple
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Spothogg makes one of, or the best sights out there for hunting. And you can addjust it to any speed of bow. read the manual. Most of the best archers in the bowhunter class, shoot Spothogg. Like the national champion. Why because once you set them and they dont move on you later.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Spothogg makes one of, or the best sights out there for hunting. And you can addjust it to any speed of bow. read the manual. Most of the best archers in the bowhunter class, shoot Spothogg. Like the national champion. Why because once you set them and they dont move on you later.
Yep, they are great sights, and a top notch product. But if they could improve them I would have to say the micro adjust is where they should look. Both of my hunter hogg-its are a pita to micro adjust. Once they are set, they never ever move, unless I want them to.

I like them and I use them. Have for the last 10 years or so. Just not a fanboy and can accept that they aren't perfect! The National Champion of the Bowhunter Release Class likes them too. He uses them on his hunting bow too.

Norm
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM

If you are looking to shoot some longer ranges without the clutter, looking into fixed pin slider sights. A few of them that come to mind are Sur-loc, CBE, Montana Black Gold, HHA.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I might think twice about that. I was wondering about how they compensate betwen the difference in ballistics between a bow that goes 260 fps and a bow that gos 350 fps so I emailed thm and asked. Their reply was that "the speed did not matter, it worked for anything in that range". I emailed them back and asked if they were trying to tell me that the external balistics for the same arrow doing those 2 drastically different speeds were exactly the same, meaning that the arrow will follow the same arc no matter what the speed is? Their reply was " that they had no way to compesate for speed differences in their sight and that it just worked for those speeds". I laughed and wrote them off.

Norm
I don't have this sight, but I've read up on it. You first sight in your 20yd pin. Then sight in your 30yd pin. The 40, 50, 60 yd pins will automatically be adjusted to follow based on the trajectory of the arrow according to your bow speed. So if your bow is shooting the arrow at 260fps, your gap between the 20 and 30 yd pins will be greater than a bow shooting 300fps and the gaps between the 40, 50 and 60 yd pins will widen proportionally as well. Again, don't have one, just what I understand from what I've read.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
I don't have this sight, but I've read up on it. You first sight in your 20yd pin. Then sight in your 30yd pin. The 40, 50, 60 yd pins will automatically be adjusted to follow based on the trajectory of the arrow according to your bow speed. So if your bow is shooting the arrow at 260fps, your gap between the 20 and 30 yd pins will be greater than a bow shooting 300fps and the gaps between the 40, 50 and 60 yd pins will widen proportionally as well. Again, don't have one, just what I understand from what I've read.
How does the bow know the speed of your arrow?

If they are using a micro dial type setup to compensate....then technically they would need to use a different worm gear based on different speeds IMHO......the frequency and pitch of the threads would have to differ based on the speeds.

Normanrd forwarded me the email that he was sent and it was laughable....based on what they had to say about THEIR sight....I won't entertain the thought of buying one and I have used Trophy Ridge sights since they became a company on all of my bows....I will continue using them, just not this particular model.

LC
Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 PM

I've got a Black Gold Flash Point Red Zone 7 pin sight and have found exactly the same thing as you. Too much congestion in the sight window. Especially if your bow is capable of some speed. Pins gaps start to narrow up making the target hard to see. I recently went to a HHA slider type sight. It is a single, vertical pin, and you adjust the yardage that you are shooting on the slide. Clean sight picture. Love it so far. But I just sold my bow, so it may be awhile before I get to use it again.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If they are using a micro dial type setup to compensate....then technically they would need to use a different worm gear based on different speeds IMHO......the frequency and pitch of the threads would have to differ based on the speeds.
LC
Not sure how they do it, or how accurate it is, but it sounds like a neat idea. I not sure if you can manually set up your 40, 50 60 yd pins either, or if their locked into "the curve".
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM

I recently switched to the HHA Optimizer Lite Ultra single pin and I absolutely love it - a few people have commented that they don't like not having fixed pins for specific ranges or why spend time having to set the pin before you shoot but so far I have found that if you have time to get out a range finder to range your target th extra second it takes to turn the dial does not seem to matter much. The only downside is not being able to compensate for range changes at full draw. However with modern compound bow technology and arrow technology I have found that unless the target is moving around a lot or very quickly I can still holdover and make enough adjustment to compensate. I have also been a long time practiced of ranging out solid landmarks in shooting lanes so if the target is between landmarks I already have a fairly good idea of the distance ahead of time
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear74 View Post
Not sure how they do it, or how accurate it is, but it sounds like a neat idea. I not sure if you can manually set up your 40, 50 60 yd pins either, or if their locked into "the curve".
Point is that they don't "do it". Its a gimmick. If you have to individually adjust the pins it kinda defeats the gimmick of not having to sight all the pins in, no?

The instructions I found say to adjust the 20 then lock it down. Then sight in ANY other pin, not just the 30, then the other pins will be set.

This means there is a fixed mechanical relationship between the pins. As arrow speed varies this relationship changes. As I said, I emailed to see if they had a method to change this relationship, and they had no idea what I was talking about. If the calculations that they used to make the mechanical relationship are based on the speed that your bow shoots then your ok. If not you are out of luck. They had no idea what speeds the calculations were for
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Check out the review on Archery Talk about it. Like I said before don't know anything about it other than what I've read.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...p?p=1066614491
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM

What if you want to use 25 yards for your first pin and not 20?

LC
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
What if you want to use 25 yards for your first pin and not 20?

LC
Probably can be as long as each gap is in 10 yd increments after that.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM

It is kind of neat....realize that this technology has been on the market in the other Trophy Ridge sight called The Judge for at least 2 years so it isn't new.....they have those on sale at Cabelas and WSS right now.....clearing them out.

I think the react is a new marketing campaign on the previous Judge sight....

LC
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM

Trophy ridge alpha 5 light,sturdy,simple,crystal clear
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
Trophy ridge alpha 5 light,sturdy,simple,crystal clear
X2

That's what I have on 2 of my bows right now.

LC
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBear74

We do that on the same concept with bow set up...once the shooter has their 20 and 30 dead on we can guessimate the 40-50-60- etc pins close...than micro adjust...it a starting point like any other wopuld be..

On the clutter point ...I use six pins...since we should all be picking that spot or staring a X in our target and not looking at the pins per say...I dont see the other pins at all..focus on the spot not the pins...

As I shoot off the string my right eye is on the right side of strings between cable and string when I aim...yet I dont see string, cable or other pins ..all i see is my target X clearly...

A huge mistake many shooters undertake is they look at their pins when they shoot...that blurs target and clutters pins...focus on target and Peripheral vison pins

JMHO
Neil