Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow
Default Its that time in the winter again....

....when you start to look forward to fly fishing season!!!!!! Who has had enough of winter and is ready to hit the slopes? Hopefully we don't have the horrendous runoff we have been having these past summers. Red deer river by Ya Ha was totally wasted and scourged from the runoff. Only found one fish.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Beauty chinook day in CGY this afternoon,the kind of winter day that screams "Go fishin!!"
Got off work unusually early this afternoon and was quite tempted to strap on the waders and hike down over the hill,but after wokn 90+ hrs last 7 days I sensed a storm front on the horizon,and sure enough,some heavy beer clouds rolled in.......and that was the end of that.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM

Based on the snow that the mountains have been seeing since early October, it is likely to be a pretty big run off this year.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

I can't wait for summer fly-fishing!!! So excited
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM

I had enough of winter after our first snow storm hit which was early this winter. In November yet.
Older i get the less i like winters. Time to do the snow bird thing soon me thinks.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM

I felt like for a little bit, edmonton was going to get super early spring with all of last week melting everything and the temp being so warm. Wake up on saturday morning. NOPE.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I felt like for a little bit, edmonton was going to get super early spring with all of last week melting everything and the temp being so warm. Wake up on saturday morning. NOPE.
Well at least we havnt had many -30 days which is a pleasant surprise. Hope i didnt jinx it now.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Yep, the bow was good for fishing during the chinook. The river muddied up quite a bit on the last day. I was surprised to see the fish were actually rising for midges.

Looks like I'm not quite finished tying yet this season, as the fly swaps are in full force in the forum! It's certainly helping with the cabin fever!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM

on friday i got what looked like a bow crossed with a bull trout thought i was brining in a boulder just couldnt get him in and when i told my self that i was jammed on a log or rock i tried to breack my line and then poof he pulled back and took me down to my backing and after 10 to 15 min finally saw him great fish on the bow in the winter

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM

The springs in and around Canmore are still running strong - usually they're just about dried up by this point in the winter. That tells me that the upper Bow aquifier is full, which means that if we have a fast snowmelt this spring - the water has no place to go but straight down the Bow River.

It'll be great for avoiding forest fires this spring & early summer - but no so good for fishing the lower Bow.