Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2012, 11:23 PM

Default 17 hornet your thoughts

so I did alot of searching and reading upon this caliber,
I,m not a savage fan,
or a fan of the accu trigger
but they are the only company chambering the 17 hornet, what are yer thoughts of this model and the caliber?,
I ordered one from prophet river today
what scope would you mount on a gun like this???

Model: 25 Lightweight Varminter-T Series: Lightweight Varminter AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: Drilled and tapped for scope mounts AccuStock : No
Magazine: Detachable box Stock material: Wood Laminate
Barrel material: Carbon Steel Stock finish: Satin
Barrel finish: Satin Stock color: Natural
Barrel color: Blued

Available chamberings:
Sku: 19739 New Chamberig for 2012
Caliber: 17 HORNET Handed: Right
Rate of Twist: n/a Weight:
Overall Length: Barrel Length: 24
Attached Images
File Type: png gQgw49278_N3VP9K9Y4.png (51.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 11:32 PM

On my short list but am holding out for a CZ offering. Are the rounds themselves readily available?

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
On my short list but am holding out for a CZ offering. Are the rounds themselves readily available?
well aint i the brain fart
I never gave that a thought
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Ruger has also agreed to chamber the 77 for this round, and Cooper will have it too.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 AM

sounds like they just need something new to sell as the 22 hornet was a very popular cartridge in its day now they need some thing that will sell as good as the 22 hornet did in its hay day but I wuold bet that the 22 hornet is still a better cartridge than a 17 hornet.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM

I am a huge 22 Hornet fan but the 17 Hornet is not a gimick to sell more guns. This cartruidge has been around for decades as the 17AH and variations thereof. Its claim to fame is it will fire a 20 grain bullet at over 3800 fps, is very wquiet and has virtually no recoil. The 22 hornet will fire a heavier pill, usually 35 or 40 grains, but they top out at abbout 3200 fps.

It is a tremendous gopher and small varmint round, all the way to coyote. Think if it as a 17HMR on steroids. All Hornady is doing is recognising the tremendous commercial potetntial of this wildcat that has been very popular among small caliber enthusiats for decades.

We should all be thanking Hornady for bringing us the 17HMR, 17M2, 375 Ruger, a host of others and now the 17 Hornet. None of the other ammo or gun companies are showing this kind of leadership.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM

quite is a definite plus even though faster than the 22 hornet I still see no real advantage over the 22 hornet and I wuold bet that a slight breeze will realy cause some wild wind drift with a 20gr. bullet at 3800 fps. and a 20gr bullet is not going to have much hitting power at any range beyond what what a 22 hornet can reach. but that is just my opinion as I never realy but any of the 17 cal, to the test.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM

I want one! I love my hmr and this seems like an an hmr on steroids!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

i will have a hard time not going after the ruger sporter weight model when it comes out in 17 hornet, what a great little coyote calling rig with a fixed 4, 6 or 3-9x40 vxII type...especially around acreages etc. certainly the ideal upgrade from a 17 hmr for that niche

its a niche deal for me though, i do like to call for them in tighter spots, nice to have a bit more zang than the hmr but still quiet and the no-ricochet aspect for added peace of mind when using the fast little v-max pills

my .204 tikka will go on more open country calling expeditions but i will seriously want the little ruger, had a 527 american in .204, it was ok, did not like the action, clumsy and slow, bolt lift, mill the bolt to take lower scope rings, even after smoothing the action...a broke in ruger would be pretty snickity snick on the reload and the rotary magazine would also be snickity snick too, i'm waitin
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am a huge 22 Hornet fan but the 17 Hornet is not a gimick to sell more guns. This cartruidge has been around for decades as the 17AH and variations thereof. Its claim to fame is it will fire a 20 grain bullet at over 3800 fps, is very wquiet and has virtually no recoil. The 22 hornet will fire a heavier pill, usually 35 or 40 grains, but they top out at abbout 3200 fps.

It is a tremendous gopher and small varmint round, all the way to coyote. Think if it as a 17HMR on steroids. All Hornady is doing is recognising the tremendous commercial potetntial of this wildcat that has been very popular among small caliber enthusiats for decades.

We should all be thanking Hornady for bringing us the 17HMR, 17M2, 375 Ruger, a host of others and now the 17 Hornet. None of the other ammo or gun companies are showing this kind of leadership.
There are a lot of plus's here Dean, but if the ammo is a dollar per round I don't see it being all that successful.
I have it from a fairly reliable source in the USA that CZ will have one chambered for the fall. FS
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 AM

FS I agree, all factory ammo is getting very expensive. 22 Hornet $46 for 50, 204 $22 for 20 and on and on. Except for the 223 where you can actually still buy good gopher or coyote rounds for $11/20, none of the factory ammo is a deal.

Thank god we reload. I can do 50 22 Hornet for under $15, and the 17 hornet will be about the same. You can easily form 17 Hornet brass from 22 Hornet brass so there should be no brass shortage and there are lots of 17 claiber bullet choices. Reloaded, it works out to about the cost of factory 17 HMR except you have about an hour of your time on top to load them.

I could never afford to shoot gophers with centrefires if I was having to pay retail for the ammo.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM

No need to fire form the 17 hornet.
Hornady has the brass, bullets and loaded ammo on their website, so I'm sure it's available somewhere.
I e-mailed Ruger yesterday and they told me they had no intentions to chamber their rifles to 17 hornet....too bad those Savage 25's look like crap in photos I've seen...?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Not a Savage fan myself but like the looks of the 17 Hornet, if there the only ones chambering it i guess i will own one. Would like to see CZ or Browning chamber it myself.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ruger has also agreed to chamber the 77 for this round
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
I e-mailed Ruger yesterday and they told me they had no intentions to chamber their rifles to 17 hornet
???????

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

If the rotary mag will hold the 17 hornet rounds I'd be ok with a rebarrel
Ruger seems a natural for this not only with the platform already there but relationship with hornady, hmmmmm is right!???
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Thumbs down E-MAIL TO RUGER.....Feb.06/12

Dear Mike Pilon ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 02/05/2012
Request No: 125153

Comment / question:

Will Ruger be chambering any rifles for the new 17 Hornet?
I want to purchase a 17 Hornet rifle and I would much rather own a Ruger than a Savage 25.

Please respond asap....

Mike Pilon,...Trapper
Sudbury, Ont., Canada

Response:
We have no current plans to produce any rifles in .17 Hornet. We appreciate your suggestion. We will forward it to our development section which uses “voice of the customer” input when developing new products.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM

Thumbs up CZ e-mail for building a model 527 in 17 Hornet

I have sent an e-mail to CZ.
Will let you know if they intend to go with the 17 Hornet...

I was given this e-mail address for CZ and that they would consider popular demands from potential buyers......so let's all e-mail them and show them how much interest is in their guns and this caliber.

alex@cz-usa.com
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
I have sent an e-mail to CZ.
Will let you know if they intend to go with the 17 Hornet...

I was given this e-mail address for CZ and that they would consider popular demands from potential buyers......so let's all e-mail them and show them how much interest is in their guns and this caliber.

alex@cz-usa.com
My understanding from the CZ warranty center (CRAFM) is that Canada is supplied directly from Europe and that CZ-USA is their own self contained entity. To contact CZ directly use this link:

http://www.czub.cz/Kontakt.aspx?lang...ge=122-contact

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM

So.....in an effort to find out who is making a rifle for this round I contacted Hornady:

Quote:
Other than Savage are there any other manufacturers chambering a rifle for the .17 Hornet?
To which they replied:

Quote:
Ruger, CZ and Chiappa are also making firearms in this caliber.

Thank you.

Hornady Sales Team
phone 1-800-338-3220
I have turned the Ruger and CZ websites inside out and can not find this caliber offered. ??????? I have emailed CZ directly for clarification.

P&D already has this ammunition in stock, about a buck a round.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Banned

I have a hard time believing ruger wouldn't jump on this, I will wait, don't want savage or cz
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I have a hard time believing ruger wouldn't jump on this, I will wait, don't want savage or cz
Spoke with sales rep crew a few weeks ago. They had just come back from Wyoming where they had been shooting PD's with some Ruger employees; they were shooting 77/17 Hornets. Of course, they were likely prototypes but shouldn't be long before hornady's often partner, Ruger, has some rifles IMHO.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
Spoke with sales rep crew a few weeks ago. They had just come back from Wyoming where they had been shooting PD's with some Ruger employees; they were shooting 77/17 Hornets. Of course, they were likely prototypes but shouldn't be long before hornady's often partner, Ruger, has some rifles IMHO.

better start putting some money aside lol, thanks for that!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 AM

not sure if this will work but you could buy a 77/ horrnet and have re barrled to 17 hornet
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Ed View Post
not sure if this will work but you could buy a 77/ horrnet and have re barrled to 17 hornet
as long as the magazine can hang onto an improved case then it could be that simple, the rebarrel might be better than factory barrel anyhow, just have to wait and see if the magazine is different, i guess just buy barrel and then get the magazines when available if not
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
as long as the magazine can hang onto an improved case then it could be that simple, the rebarrel might be better than factory barrel anyhow, just have to wait and see if the magazine is different, i guess just buy barrel and then get the magazines when available if not
i had a 77/ 22 hornet made in to a 22 K horrnet same mag worked so I would think a 22 hornt mag would work
Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

sounds like a simple rebarrel is the way to go, wonder if my smith has that reamer or if added cost to the barrel hmmm, i may go down that road over the factory ruger anyhow as i'll be needing the trigger/bedding on a ruger done also
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqtFQA45_k

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM

ok I am sold now I need to find some that wants to sell me there old 7/22 hornet for the build . any takers
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Alberta Tactical Rifle is listed as an importer for the Lilja barrels:

Quote:
Established importers in Canada:

Alberta:

Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply, Rick Timmins, is established as an importer of our rifle barrels. He may be contacted at 403-277-7786 or e-mail: abtacrifle@shaw.ca
http://www.riflebarrels.com/canada_export.htm

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
sounds like a simple rebarrel is the way to go, wonder if my smith has that reamer or if added cost to the barrel hmmm, i may go down that road over the factory ruger anyhow as i'll be needing the trigger/bedding on a ruger done also
Buy a tube for that take down TC of yours.