Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Hanna gun show

Another good outing at the show in Hanna yesterday. Anyone looking for powder, should make an attempt to get down there. I honestly believe there was thousands of pounds of powder available at this one show. Also, a good assortment of bullets from the various vendors.
Gun prices were the usual assortment of highs and lows, but I thought for the most part, they were reasonable. Even saw a couple pre-64 model 70's
under a thousand bucks! The negatives, would have to be rimfire prices (.22 ammo at 8-10/box) and old cooey rifles that have been found in a closet for 350.00!
Myself, I like going to these shows for the odd and unusuals. The treasures that are found in the junk boxes of odds and ends. Anything from unique knives, vintage reels and lures, optics, and of course my biggest addiction of late; hammer guns!
I did not find any suitable hammer guns at this show, but not for lack of trying. In all honesty, I have never seen such a collection of dinged up barrels on vintage guns ever! A word of caution to anyone searching out these old guns (or any shotgun for that matter) you go looking for a set of barrels. The rest of the package is just "pretty"! Without solid barrels, they are wallhangers, and I buy them to hunt!
What I did find at the show for myself, was a Puma "little buddy" in near mint un-sharpened condition for 150.00. Also picked up a swarovski BT scope, and about 90% of the reloading components I came in search of.
I should have known it was gonna be another great show, when I started the day over breakfast with Lee and Redfrog. Froggy, it was great to meet you in person!
Old 07-17-2016, 12:16 PM

Went there yesterday afternoon with two of my girls.
There was definitely some interesting stuff there to look at.
Always worth the trip.
It's my favourite gunshow.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:16 PM

my intention was to visit the event, but the alternator couldnt be trusted on my sunday-go-to-meetin' car. so i resolved to go hmr'n gophers instead.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-17-2016, 01:53 PM

Default No body told me there was a dog trainers breakfast meeting

In Hanna yesterday? Got too busy with birds and dogs to go up including shooting some trapped chukars over my latest little puppy and a friends 5 month old lab with your "old" 101 410 Jim.

Was kind of thinking of sneaking up today after chores until the wife reminded me that our daughter had booked a restaurant for our 39th anniversary dinner tonight. For some reason she didnt feel I could be trusted driving to a gun show in Hanna and getting back on time??
Yesterday would have been easier to do!!!
Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Gone Hunting

We missed you ROb. Your ears must have been burning.

Met Lee and Jim and Lloyd at Cactus. We had breakfast and talked for an hour about guns and dogs and women and how fast those trucks can go.
The more we talked the more I realized how small the hunting world is and how many mutual friends and hunting places we shared.

We made our way to the show and once again I was impressed on how many people were there. It's a good show with some regular 'gun show' vendors as well as some not so regular

I didn't need anything but when a vendor asked me what i was looking for, I said 'I'll know it when I see it."

I have far more knives than I need, but I was standing in front of a table of beauties, all custom made and shiny like, The vendor said , "you can touch them, they won't bite" HAAAA! That's what yes dear told me many years ago. Ended up married.

A lot of guys travel to get here. I met guys from Brooks, Camrose, Donalda, Provost Etc.

A great way to spend a day.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM

Default my ears are always burning, have to start wearing a hat!

and the hair is getting thin so it no longer protects my scalp, length didn't help at all unless I roll wrap it. I have been going to Hanna for the last 2 years so this year was an exception and of course the whole gang shows up! With 2 deuce shooters I would have felt intimidated anyway. Next you will tell that there were some good chocolate labs there for sale.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 PM

Default switching horses?

Rob, you switching up on us? I invested a good deal of time promoting Goldens to Redfrog yesterday, and here you are switching horses
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM

Sounds like the usual gun show.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...nna-AB-gunshow

Grizz
Old 07-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sounds like the usual gun show.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...nna-AB-gunshow

Grizz
What a bunch of whiners.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Some good chocolate labs???? Is that even a thing?

OGP had me just about convinced I needed a golden, but then I remembered 'Yes Dear " is going to "Bath etc" this week, and will likely pick out her own bathmat.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 AM

I also thought Hanna was a great show. A little disorganized at the set-up, but that soon settled down. Sunday was sloooow, as is predicable.
Found some fairly priced shot-shells for the 16 gauge, and a few other small things.
Bought a few (books that is), sold a few, had fun. Visited with many people that I only see at Gun Shows, and caught up on the saga of wives, kids and shooting fun.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Default equal opportunity employer

Still have goldens and labs Jim, yellows and blacks out of Six Pack but never a chocolate. Whatever gets the job done. Latest pup is also a golden female.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:14 AM

I drove up from Medicine Hat and had a great time got to visit with some friends picked up some small enfield parts as well as a Hakim and AG42B at a really good price. I'll go to that show again for sure.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Rob , many years ago in a land far, far, away I was running a black in field trials. Having fun with the young dog and winning enough that some guys were not happy when we showed up.

I met a guy in the Hat who was running a chocolate the same age as my black. I've always liked the looks of the chocolates, but this was the first that I saw that could do the work and do it well. We beat him soundly in the derbies that year. He came back the next year and smoked everything around. Won back to back opens.etc. I haven't seem a chocolate like it since, even though there were a ton of his genes around the field trial game.

I did get a chocolate of my breeding that went back two generations to him as I wanted a chocolate with a black 'heart'. He was a good dog for hunting but could not compete.

It really doesn't matter what colour or breed a dog is, if he is happy where he is and the owners are happy with him.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

My dearly departed Dad who trialed retrievers fir years used to say
" any dog will do as long as it's s black Lab"
Cat
Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM

Default the key is "chocolate with black heart"

Ebonstar Mack was an incredible chocolate but he was a recessive dog from a yellow male (Waldorf Hitech and a black female). The problem we see far too often is back yard breeders breeding for the recessive chocolate color and no brains or heart. The gene pool on recessive colors (YY) is very small and more often than not the people I deal with go looking for a brown lab (chocolate) without any or little regard for the dogs trainability or pedigree to work. Most often these are new buyers who do little but play with the dog until the dogs true colors come through at 8 -10 months and the wife says "either it is the dog or me". By this time the cute little chocolate is often a 60 pound mess of no manners. There are good chocolates out there but they are incredibly hard to find. In 10 years I have had one black for correcting behavior problems (admittedly caused by the new owners). In the past 5 years I have had 5 chocolates brought to me to address obedience/behavior problems.
The designer color breeders have a steady supply of uneducated buyers but if you want to train the dog yourself it is easier to find a biddable field quality black or yellow.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Ebonstar Mack was an incredible chocolate but he was a recessive dog from a yellow male (Waldorf Hitech and a black female). The problem we see far too often is back yard breeders breeding for the recessive chocolate color and no brains or heart. The gene pool on recessive colors (YY) is very small and more often than not the people I deal with go looking for a brown lab (chocolate) without any or little regard for the dogs trainability or pedigree to work. Most often these are new buyers who do little but play with the dog until the dogs true colors come through at 8 -10 months and the wife says "either it is the dog or me". By this time the cute little chocolate is often a 60 pound mess of no manners. There are good chocolates out there but they are incredibly hard to find. In 10 years I have had one black for correcting behavior problems (admittedly caused by the new owners). In the past 5 years I have had 5 chocolates brought to me to address obedience/behavior problems.
The designer color breeders have a steady supply of uneducated buyers but if you want to train the dog yourself it is easier to find a biddable field quality black or yellow.

Just curious, but what kind of behavioral problems are you referring to? Before I chose a Drahthaar, multiple people told me to get a lab, because they were so easy to train. My pup is headstrong, but he is very eager to learn, and picks up skills very quickly.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Default eh

I guess the behavior problems run from lack of interest in retrieving, to gun shyness and even stubborn to the point of intentional disobedience. Stubborn would be the polite word for some of them. Most labs are biddable in that they are eager to learn and please and respond well to praise as well as can take a correction and bounce back.
I have had pointers that I considered stubborn but that was because early on they believed they knew better than I about what and where the birds were that we were hunting. Some of the chocolates I have seen have gone way beyond that as in intentional refusing to pick up a bird, enter water or return with a bird. One was so hard mouthed you had to race to get the bird before he plucked and ate it.
Most can be fixed with patience, force and repetition but it is often more time consuming and harder on both dog and handler than the average new owner wants to take on. Sorry for the derail we should have just started a dog training/behavior thread instead of taking the gunshow right off the map.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:25 PM

Somebody start a gun dog thread before I ban us all!
Cat