Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Default Selling a large collection

Just wondering if anyone has sold a large collection of firearms before? I have a large of collection of 30-40 rifles I'm thinking of moving.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

Generally with that many rifles it is best to get them appraised(if there are some collectors in the bunch) and then sold at an auction, or else you could try selling them here a few at a time to break it up.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:15 PM

Any .410 bore o/u or semi's?

Book a table at the next gun show you can attend, or give it to the auction, there is one happening in edmonton mid august and they are accepting sporting goods on consignment.

Or post them here with a price list, excel sheet or scan hand written list. Include pictures like 10 rifles/photo in order to avoid the large amount of picture requests/inquiries.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:09 PM

Auction charge about 30% seller premium. Some also add a further 10-15% range buyer fee (which will impact the bid price)

If you want to max your return I would suggest private sales through local shows or CGN/AO. Some guys will also offer valuations to help you out as well.

If you want to be done with them quickly and are willing to gamble on leaving cash on the table, go the auction route.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Guns

Your best bet is to list a few at a time here or CGN, take great photos and have good and honest explanations. I wouldn't list more than three at a time as its very difficult to manage all the questions etc. Set up a separate email where you'll communicate with buyers so your regular account doesn't get filled with messages. Maybe set up to take online payments or phone payments etc. List every firearm separately with its own thread so you can reply to questions on the thread and keep it all nice and clean.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 PM

We have handled probably 100 large consignments of 10-200 firearms at a time at MilArm. You'll make less than selling them all yourselves and I will save you a ton of time and effort and you'll make more than sending them to an auction
Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 PM

If you have any left handed, feel free to PM me, I'm in Edmonton until the end of the month and hopefully will be heading back up North with a few new shiny things.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 PM

If you have any bolt action 22lr for sale shoot me a PM I'm also looking for a youth deer rifle. :-)
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 PM

If you can hold out, get a table at the Easter show in Calgary. Largest in western Canada. Gun shows are usually your best bet to get rid of a lot in a short period of time. If you're close to Hanna and there's tables left, I hear it's a great gun show. There's also a one day show down in Coleman in August. One day shows are great because it's less time investment with a potentially large financial gain. PM me if you want to shoot the sh*t about gun shows. I may be able to help you price your collection.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
If you have any bolt action 22lr for sale shoot me a PM I'm also looking for a youth deer rifle. :-)
Youth or not, you can't take a deer with anything less than a .243 in Alberta, unless there's some kind of rule I'm unaware of, but imo ethically, you owe your game a clean/fast kill whenever possible and a .22lr wouldn't offer that to a deer.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Youth or not, you can't take a deer with anything less than a .243 in Alberta, unless there's some kind of rule I'm unaware of, but imo ethically, you owe your game a clean/fast kill whenever possible and a .22lr wouldn't offer that to a deer.
Pretty sure that he is looking for a .22 and a youth rifle. 2 guns not 1.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
Pretty sure that he is looking for a .22 and a youth rifle. 2 guns not 1.
You are correct. That's why I said a 22 and also a youth deer rifle. I have no plans on using the 22 to hunt big game.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-17-2016, 08:35 AM

I would be interested in getting a price from you, if you have a Light weight O/U shotgun. My wife wants one but it has to be pretty light or she will start to whine .
Old 07-17-2016, 01:20 PM

im into bipods, and pieces like that..
id consider a used safe but not a french one... id take a lot of ribbing about that

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31