Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
And you forgot to mention...it is made in Canada!!
Very hard to get because they are having trouble filling all the military and LE orders they are getting...it's that good.
All from Halifax of all places.
I very much doubt that TT have many LE sales, as SWAT seldom shoots very far,
but the FBI or DHS may be buying for another Ruby Ridge, and
we can only speculate about TT's military order backlog,
and whether the military is purchasing for their own use, or are gifting the scopes to the Facist Ukrainian Right Sector, or the Kurds or other proxy army, or 'moderate rebels', or are selling to the Saudis (or that other little country, which cannot be named) for supply of ISIS, Al-Nusra or A-Q.

TT seems to be focusing their civilian sales in the USA, and it is reported they can be obtained from US dealer stock, but will require that a Canadian purchaser buy a US Export Permit and pay a Canadian importer to handle the border issues.
Similar to IMR powder, made in Canada, selling in the USA for <$20, but requiring an export permit to ship back to Canada where it is sometimes available for $45-55.

It is all just speculation and rumor.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
Yes, that's right. Tangent Theta is Canadian made in Halifax. There's no confirmation anywhere but rumour has it that the lenses are German made, manufactured by Schott.

The mechanics of the scope are what now set TT apart from the other high-end stuff. Look for Shmidt & Bender, among others, to quickly revamp their outdated designs.
The TT is a VERY VERY nice scope, and the turret is by far the best I have seen but,
the current eATACRs have a 30 moa/rev turret, with more total travel,
the TT is 3oz or 8% heavier than an ATACR F1,
and $1400-2900 more money, and the ATACR is available today.
I actually prefer the NF reticles, but that is an individual matter, YMMV.
The TT is also not available in SFP or with a very thin reticle like the MOAR-T, which some prefer for ELR.

If I could get a TT, I would own one, but I will 'make do' with my NF ATACR (and am purchasing several more).
I will probably buy a TT when I can.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
The TT is a VERY VERY nice scope, and the turret is by far the best I have seen but,
the current eATACRs have a 30 moa/rev turret, with more total travel,
the TT is 3oz or 8% heavier than an ATACR F1,
and $1400-2900 more money, and the ATACR is available today.
I actually prefer the NF reticles, but that is an individual matter, YMMV.
The TT is also not available in SFP or with a very thin reticle like the MOAR-T, which some prefer for ELR.

If I could get a TT, I would own one, but I will 'make do' with my NF ATACR (and am purchasing several more).
I will probably buy a TT when I can.
Sounds like NF is staying in step like they always do. And you're correct about the FFP reticle. The TT is not a long range target scope per se, but a military style ranging scope, built for the world's worst environments including the battlefield. For long-range target shooting on paper, the FFP reticle of the Tangent Theta becomes somewhat cumbersome. However, if you're ringing gongs at unknown distances, or ranging the enemy, it can't be beat.

I'll have to check out the new Nighforces.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Default Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
You haven't seen anything until you've tried a Tangent Theta. My TT525P makes my March and Premier look like kids' toys. A peek through both it and a top-end Nightforce makes the latter feel like a dreary day. The tool-less turrets are the absolute crispest and user-friendly of any turret, ever. Setting zero-stop is a pleasure. And the glass...

I'd take one Tangent Theta over two Schmidt & Benders. Well, maybe not quite.
I have hear great things about them. Were did you get it if you dont mind sharing the info? How was the price compared to other high end stuff?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Default They are Canadian

Go this from there website:

Tangent Theta Incorporated is proud to announce the introduction of a new line of premium quality rifle telescopes for professional marksmen. Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Tangent Theta has acquired the assets and designs of the former Premier Reticles Limited and has for nearly two years been re-designing and perfecting optical and mechanical designs for a new series of military-quality rifle telescopes that will bear the Tangent Theta brand. The initial designs include 3-15x50mm and 5-25x56mm Professional Marksman Series rifle telescopes with 34mm main tubes, as well as a lighter-weight version of the 3-15x50mm with a 30mm main tube. All incorporate non-translating windage and elevation knobs, zero-stop mechanisms and illuminated first focal plane reticles. Adjustment mechanisms and reticles are calibrated in either miliradians or minutes of angle. A unique feature of the 34mm main tube models is a patent-pending design that allows the windage and elevation knobs to be quickly re-zeroed without the use of tools of any kind.

Designed by a combined team of extremely experienced optical and mechanical engineers in Canada and Germany, the new designs are optimized for extreme ruggedness, mechanical precision, and unsurpassed optical resolution and clarity. Tangent Theta rifle telescopes are made in Canada and will be available exclusively through a network of dealers and distributors maintained by Armament Technology Incorporated, the well-known international optical sighting system distributor.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Ok i am now fascinated by Tangent

youtube vid of the owner at 2016 shot show

https://youtu.be/7taa11n-m1g

Good Review of the product

https://youtu.be/pLYZwds5Ymk

i hope you enjoy

Last edited by markg; 07-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have hear great things about them. Were did you get it if you dont mind sharing the info? How was the price compared to other high end stuff?
Mystic Precision is where mine came from. I had it in my hands in 3 weeks. At the time, Mystic Precision was a new dealer and Gave me an incredible intro deal... so good that he made me swear not to tell how much, so I won't. Let me warn you though, Jerry doesn't like tire kickers.

The TT525P is comparable in price to upper-end Schmidt & Benders which is likely in the $5500-$6000 range. That's a lot of scratch for optics but even at that price, they're selling well.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
and whether the military is purchasing for their own use, or are gifting the scopes to the Facist Ukrainian Right Sector, or the Kurds or other proxy army, or 'moderate rebels', or are selling to the Saudis (or that other little country, which cannot be named) for supply of ISIS, Al-Nusra or A-Q.

TT seems to be focusing their civilian sales in the USA, and it is reported they can be obtained from US dealer stock, but will require that a Canadian purchaser buy a US Export Permit and pay a Canadian importer to handle the border issues.
Similar to IMR powder, made in Canada, selling in the USA for <$20, but requiring an export permit to ship back to Canada where it is sometimes available for $45-55.

A friend toured the factory last year...they told them they had LE orders.
So if you want to call anyone a liar...it's them.
Big city police depts and such have pretty deep pockets.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

Even 'little ole' Edmonton Tac has high power NF.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Even 'little ole' Edmonton Tac has high power NF.
I did not call you or anyone else a 'liar',
that is a very specific word that does NOT mean 'mistaken', or 'misinformed'.

I know that police forces pockets CAN be deep, but they are not as bottomless as the US military, and both have many other demands on available resources.

IIRC, most Police/SWAT 'snipers' seldom need to shoot >125 yds. and it would be an very extraordinary situation to shoot >200.
I did note that the FBI and DHS may have 'special' applications.

AFAIK, most US police and military will tend to predominantly select USA built equipment,
Glock being an obvious exception but many suggest that Glocks police pricing and great trade-in policies exist to facilitate importation of larger 'standard' capacity magazines, which Glock can then re-sell to the retail consumer at a significantly increased margin.

Of course I may be mistaken, or misinformed.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I know that police forces pockets CAN be deep, but they are not as bottomless as the US military, and both have many other demands on available resources.

IIRC, most Police/SWAT 'snipers' seldom need to shoot >125 yds. and it would be an very extraordinary situation to shoot >200.

AFAIK, most US police and military will tend to predominantly select USA built equipment,
Glock being an obvious exception but many suggest that Glocks police pricing and great trade-in policies exist to facilitate importation of larger 'standard' capacity magazines, which Glock can then re-sell to the retail consumer at a significantly increased margin.

You are. I watched the RCMP practicing at 200 today.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You are. I watched the RCMP practicing at 200 today.
And I regularily practice with EPS tactical to 300m at SPFGA.
Just because most of the shots a LE sniper takes is at less than 100m doesn't mean they don't practice at, and are prepared for longer distances.
It's not like they go "oh, the hostage taker is 150m away...we're going home".
Least I hope not.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Jeeze some folks take every damn letter to heart. The man didnt say that cops cant shoot, he simply pointed out the fact that "most" cops dont engage true long range targets/ suspects, there is ofcourse exceptions to every tule.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
And I regularily practice with EPS tactical to 300m at SPFGA.
Just because most of the shots a LE sniper takes is at less than 100m doesn't mean they don't practice at, and are prepared for longer distances.
It's not like they go "oh, the hostage taker is 150m away...we're going home".
Least I hope not.
I was responding to Qwerts post. Not commenting in regards to what the LEO's limitations are.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I was responding to Qwerts post. Not commenting in regards to what the LEO's limitations are.
I realize that and was backing you up.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Jeeze some folks take every damn letter to heart. The man didnt say that cops cant shoot, he simply pointed out the fact that "most" cops dont engage true long range targets/ suspects, there is ofcourse exceptions to every tule.
That wasn't what I was commenting on.
My comment was in response to qwert's statement that Tangent Theta's didn't have a lot of LE enforcement sales because they don't need high power because they don't engage at longer distances (at least that is the way his first post reads).
Truth be told most of their engagements in urban areas are at short distances...but I know for a fact that they are prepared (meaning they have high power glass) and practice at longer distances.
It is Alberta...there is always the possibility that they will get called out to a rural location where they may not be able to get under cover closer than 150+m.