Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-05-2016, 07:57 PM

Default firearms licence renewal

My renewal this time has got to be some kind of record!

I did it on line on June 20 and it was issued on June 24 !!!

Maybe it helps that my wife has hers too .
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 PM

Damned Liberals messing with what we have become accustomed to. My last restricted transfer took four hours.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Default And the other side

My wife mailed her restricted in. It is now over 90 days. Twice on a calls in they have said nothing wrong just waiting with the CFO.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
My wife mailed her restricted in. It is now over 90 days. Twice on a calls in they have said nothing wrong just waiting with the CFO.
Don't **** off the grumpy old lady or it will take fore ever!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Maybe it helps that my wife has hers too .
yeah they want to make sure you can fight back! haha
Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 AM

Did she send in her range membership? They apparently need that now.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotang View Post
Did she send in her range membership? They apparently need that now.

According to our laws, they don't require a range membership to issue an RPAL, that is just something that the CFO dreamed up. However knowing that they would ask, I attached a copy of my range membership to my renewal application, and when I called to see why I hadn't received my renewal in over four months, they denied that there was a copy attached. Of course they never bothered notifying me during that four months that they wanted to see a copy of my range membership.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Very transparent process!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
According to our laws, they don't require a range membership to issue an RPAL, that is just something that the CFO dreamed up. However knowing that they would ask, I attached a copy of my range membership to my renewal application, and when I called to see why I hadn't received my renewal in over four months, they denied that there was a copy attached. Of course they never bothered notifying me during that four months that they wanted to see a copy of my range membership.
The day I submitted my online renewal, I called the CFC and spoke with a real person and told them I would like to update my membership information. I emailed them a copy of my range membership. There was a electronic trail of receipt by doing so....3 weeks later voila! RPAL received no delay.

LC
Old 07-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The day I submitted my online renewal, I called the CFC and spoke with a real person and told them I would like to update my membership information. I emailed them a copy of my range membership. There was a electronic trail of receipt by doing so....3 weeks later voila! RPAL received no delay.

LC
I will keep that in mind when I need to renew again.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I suspect there are 2 (or more) ‘theys’.

AFAIK, the 1st ‘theys’ are civilian civil servants in Miramichi, who receive the paper forms and process them by optical scanning into a file, it seems there is no place in the file format to scan a separately attached range membership as that is not required for a plain RPAL (no restricted owned). The ‘processed’ electronic file is forwarded to the provincial CFO office, and the paper renewal form and any attached paperwork (such as a copy of a range membership) is then shredded.

The 2nd ‘theys’ are sworn RCMP firearms officers in the CFO office, who receive the electronic file and check against restricted registrations to determine if any restricteds are owned or will be transported. The CFOs (who feel (and in unfortunate fact may be) authorized to regulate as they see fit), have interpreted that the Firearms Act requires a range membership to own a restricted for a purpose other than an ‘approved and registered’ collection.

I have found the best way to manage this process is to copy a page of the standard form to include a copy of a range membership card in some blank space so that it will be included in the scanned file by Miramichi, and forwarded to the CFO. There is no requirement to submit the original range membership card.

Even after all this processing and checking of paperwork, the CFO will not issue a renewed LTATT unless it is specifically requested in an area adjacent to the copy of the range membership, (and probably not even then). Do not expect to receive it automatically or in a separate letter, I suggest a specific request to Email the renewed LTATT with hard copy to follow. Keep a copy of all completed applications and forms for your records and to document your submitted application.

‘They’ are not happy till we are not happy.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:51 PM

I got mine 2 weeks ago . I applied for my renewal on Dec 20 2014. I had to make calls to my m.p . Calls to the cheif firearms office almost weekly. I have no reason at all to not just have it quickly granted. No record or complaints i get along fine with the ex. Owe nobody anything. It was the most pathetic and frustrating thing. There is no way that the cheif firearms office isn't just run by the MEP.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I suspect there are 2 (or more) ‘theys’.

AFAIK, the 1st ‘theys’ are civilian civil servants in Miramichi, who receive the paper forms and process them by optical scanning into a file, it seems there is no place in the file format to scan a separately attached range membership as that is not required for a plain RPAL (no restricted owned). The ‘processed’ electronic file is forwarded to the provincial CFO office, and the paper renewal form and any attached paperwork (such as a copy of a range membership) is then shredded.

The 2nd ‘theys’ are sworn RCMP firearms officers in the CFO office, who receive the electronic file and check against restricted registrations to determine if any restricteds are owned or will be transported. The CFOs (who feel (and in unfortunate fact may be) authorized to regulate as they see fit), have interpreted that the Firearms Act requires a range membership to own a restricted for a purpose other than an ‘approved and registered’ collection.

I have found the best way to manage this process is to copy a page of the standard form to include a copy of a range membership card in some blank space so that it will be included in the scanned file by Miramichi, and forwarded to the CFO. There is no requirement to submit the original range membership card.

Even after all this processing and checking of paperwork, the CFO will not issue a renewed LTATT unless it is specifically requested in an area adjacent to the copy of the range membership, (and probably not even then). Do not expect to receive it automatically or in a separate letter, I suggest a specific request to Email the renewed LTATT with hard copy to follow. Keep a copy of all completed applications and forms for your records and to document your submitted application.

‘They’ are not happy till we are not happy.
LTATT is now a special condition of the RPAL, they are now attached and they arrive together at the same time

LC
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 PM

Default Website

What is the address to renew your firearms license? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
What is the address to renew your firearms license? Thanks.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...renouv-eng.htm
Old 07-11-2016, 05:49 PM

Mine came back within 6 weeks It was for long guns and hand guns. So no complaints here
Old 07-11-2016, 11:53 PM

I transferred a restricted last week. Less than 24 hrs start to finish!
Old 07-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Pal

Firearms centre received my xpress post non restricted app on June 20, received my PAL in the mail today, July 12.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Yup did mine online and had it a week later, no issues or tissues.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM

I mailed my non-restricted renewal and my application for my RPAL on May 13, and had my new license in the first week of July, i was pretty happy with that. I called the CFC shortly after waiting a month and a bit and the lady said the were just waiting for my references to be called. She told me that i could have one of the my references call in and refer to my application number that they would do the interview then and would speed the process up rather than waiting for someone to call the reference. I did that, and a couple of days later the license was issued and mailed out.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:18 AM

My old man's renewal came in the mail last month after sending in his app 6 months prior. It was fun though, he had to take me to the gun range with him every time and lets just say I 'accidentally' forgot the trigger lock keys to my guns at home a couple of those times got plenty of trigger time on his dime