Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Calgary Transit...when are the trains going to run?

It would be great if they could provide a damage assessment to date, remaining to be assessed and time to get things fixed.

They are often the slowest to react. When it takes 1 year to replace a platform...do they have the skills to work quickly? 80,000 people cannot all drive to the downtown core. It will be a huge mess second only to the flooding.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-24-2013, 03:11 PM

I was wondering the same thing. From the pictures going around, I'd say it will be awhile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-Train1.jpg (34.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

We are working on the transit system daily doing the upgrades.

Now it will be repairing any damage.

Cant tell ya how long to finish....this weather has definitely slowed the process.

Each station is being expanded to accomadate 1 more rail car right now.

It will eventually go to Cochrane....but not yet.

And obviously....its going to the airport.

It all takes time and its still early for a damage assessment.....
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM

I heard with the damage to the tunnel under the core that the city cant even get the required parts till November. Is that accurate?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Saw a pick today of the C-Train tracks... It looked like rolling waves more than it did train tracks... Can't see it being up any time soon
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
I heard with the damage to the tunnel under the core that the city cant even get the required parts till November. Is that accurate?
Thats not in my field.....sorry

I should have mentioned that I am only involved in the steel and concrete building trade.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 PM

It will be a long time for the south leg. It will run up to heritage only. Shuttle buses will circuit from heritage to downtown. Other lines have shuttles in to downtown. Detours and closure info is on the Calgary Transit website. I am getting up early for sure.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM

One of my buddies is a C-train mechanic and I asked him. His response was that they have pumped all the water out of the flooded tunnels but the sediment has gotten into everything and it's going to take awhile. He said they guys are going full tilt to get it back up but it is going to take a bit.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
One of my buddies is a C-train mechanic and I asked him. His response was that they have pumped all the water out of the flooded tunnels but the sediment has gotten into everything and it's going to take awhile. He said they guys are going full tilt to get it back up but it is going to take a bit.
Good to know. I hope the city spares no expense fixing the tracks. Huge impacts not having the train running.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It would be great if they could provide a damage assessment to date, remaining to be assessed and time to get things fixed.
One of hubby's best friends is a maintenance supervisor on the c-train lines. I'd love to pass on a timeline, but (strangely enough!) he's been incommunicado since Friday. He didn't even show up for BBQ rib-eyes on Sunday! He must be either a) dead, or b) really, really freakin' busy.

I'm sure once they have time to catch their collective breath, and actually determine the true scope of the damage, we'll have a timeline.

Buses will be good options for the time being. There are a few bridges that are only open to bus traffic.

I'm on the fence about pulling out my bicycle. It would be a 14km commute each way . . . maybe I'll stick to the bus.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:37 PM

It may be awhile before anything is happening downtown let alone the C-trains.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Shaw news just reported south Ctrain lines will open in two weeks
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
One of hubby's best friends is a maintenance supervisor on the c-train lines. I'd love to pass on a timeline, but (strangely enough!) he's been incommunicado since Friday. He didn't even show up for BBQ rib-eyes on Sunday! He must be either a) dead, or b) really, really freakin' busy.

I'm sure once they have time to catch their collective breath, and actually determine the true scope of the damage, we'll have a timeline.

Buses will be good options for the time being. There are a few bridges that are only open to bus traffic.

I'm on the fence about pulling out my bicycle. It would be a 14km commute each way . . . maybe I'll stick to the bus.
Sadly...buses don't work effectively during rush hour... People should get used to double or worse travel times.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 PM

From nenshis twitter:

@nenshi: Big news: C-train service back in downtown tomorrow! Blue line (NE/W) back except city hall and centre street, NW line to 8th street.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post

If you're riding a road bike 14km isn't very far at all, do that distance all the time for recreation.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Sadly...buses don't work effectively during rush hour... People should get used to double or worse travel times.
I've regularly ridden the bus to work going on 14 years, now, during rush hour. It did get a bit tedious when I lived in Copperfield, but otherwise I've never had any real complaints. I actually really enjoy it most days. It gives me time to read and not feel guilty about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If you're riding a road bike 14km isn't very far at all, do that distance all the time for recreation.
No road bike. The ride to work would be great, the ride home not so great (almost all up hill, and the wind would be mostly in my face). I'm not sure what my MTB weighs anymore. I'd guess around 33lbs (including rack and panniers) . . . but it could be more.

I'm still mulling it over.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM

I rode the C-Train into Downtown this morning. The NE. NW and West legs are all running. No stops at City Hall or 1st E. Guess the South will take a few weeks to repair Earlton.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM

the progress they are making at stampede station is amazing . I have a photo from this morning and it's totally excavated and filled . I am not allowed to post the pic until tonight though
Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/24...-for-two-weeks

South train not working for 2 weeks. Yikes.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

IMG-20130625-00259.jpg this is the shot from this morning , hope I don't get fired
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Heard today that the south leg will not be running for a minimum of two weeks. Hope that helps. Source: country 105
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
Attachment 74781 this is the shot from this morning , hope I don't get fired
They cant afford to fire you