Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Do you fletch your own arrows ?

I used to use a Jojan Multi then switched to Bitzenburger both work
great but the Bitz let me refletch a single arrow quicker and was
easier to work with, didn't have to be quite so careful when dropping
in an arrow.

I've fletched with 4 to 5" veins and for a while now have using 2" blazers.

What's your setup and why do you like it ?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

I have an Arizona EZ Fletch, by far one of the best investments I've made. I refletch my buddies arrows for them I like it so much and have fun doing it. Takes me under an hour to fletch a dozen arrows.

Stik'em
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about the Arizona.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Default Here's mine.

Easton FMJ 400s with a white Bohning wrap, 3 x White Blazers and Blue X nock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2785.jpg (55.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Those FMJs look sweet!

Here's a few I did, they may be old and gray but fly true if I do dare say.

The one with a little grey matter on it is likely left over Coyote fat I didn't
quite get cleaned off.

2 degree right hand off set.
These are Bemans 400s ICS Hunters will be going to 350 spine FMJs maybe.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 03-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 PM

Very nice, I love my FMJs I would recommended them. I have a 3 degree helical right on mine as well.

Stik'em
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM

Attachment 69619
Here is my newly fletched x weave pro's with white snakeskin wrap and orange blazers
image.jpg

Last edited by chironomidkraut; 03-21-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM

i use the bitz, but imthinking about getting a tower jig of some sort

-wally
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 AM

I used to use an Arizona Ez fletch.It was great for vanes but not so for feathers. I switched to JoJan Multi fletchers for a couple years and had no real complaints ,I still have 1 Multi set up for the Kid arrows. Now I have a dozen Git-R-done fletchers mounted on a board. These are a nylon copy of a Bitz. I realy like them after 3 years and many arrows. I also cut my fletches from Full length feathers. Banana, Shield, Parabolic, and Flu Flu with a Vario Cutter.It has many blades and I can do fletches from 2" to 6" in low or high profiles.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 AM

I used to fletch. Had an original Arizona EZ fletch that allowed me to do 4" vanes. Then switched up arrows to FMJ's and decided to go with 2.5" vanes and bought an Arizona EZ fletch Mini to accomodate that.

Now I've switched to FOB's. Can't see me going back to fletching, even though it's fun and allows me to enjoy a Rum and Coke while doing it - but the FOB's are very fast, always the same and tough as nails. Still have the EZ Mini and all the components just in case.

J.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Default Arizona

Have a few fletchers but I have been using the Arizona exclusively. Have a few of these too...... feathers, FluFlu feathers, vanes, left helical, right helical, carbon, aluminum, wood, crossbow bolts...

I have more arrows than common sense...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0670.jpg (64.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0671.jpg (39.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0673.jpg (59.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 01:23 PM

We have 8 Jo Jan Multi fletchers and fletch with as much offset as vane and arrow allow full contact...

works very well for us..

Neil
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

i got a bitz that doesnt index accurately, did i read somewhere you can get some sort of kit for these with new gutz so it will index properly, just sits on a shelf for now, anyhow, i digress

i used the single bohning jig for blazers for quite awhile but slow, excellent but slow, tried the arizona ez fletch mini for blazers and i'm not sure you could improve on that set up, it was perfect every time, awesome helical, super fast to whip up a dozen that it is fun and i have offer out to do a buddies who shoots blazers as it is so easy, the hard part will be stripping old fletch

i got the longer arizona ez fletch for the flex fletch sk300 vanes i'm using now and i've made do, the gap in the arms is too fat for such thin vanes so bit of a learning curve there, got a couple dozen done but not as much helical as i was expecting after using the mini on blazers...the thick blazer vanes fit perfectly in the arizona....would like to see arizona give a flex fletch capable set of arms

and learned that crazy glue types are the shiz for holding on slick shafts! i used the flex fletch zing primer and their glue which is a crazy glue type...delicate process and i think i'd prefer to use the bitz so i could follow a tip i read by dabbing excess crazy glue of the ultra thin flex fletch vanes before clamping on and the bitz would work great for that and i could live with the added time....i just remembered...it the kit for the bitz called the zenith kit maybe? anyhow, maybe L.O.S.T. knows what i am talking about?

but for guys shooting blazers and like helical...arizona ez fletch would be really hard to beat! and even longer regular type vanes using the longer arizona ez fletch would work great....these flex fletch are just soooo thin, i was scrapin excess glue off the arms u name it, i'm not even as hamfisted as many guys i know...its delicate process with those...awesome vanes though...the arizona mini might be excellent for the flash 2.0 flex fletch vanes but again i think the slot will be too fat and just won't be as sweet/easy as doing with blazers
Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i got a bitz that doesnt index accurately, did i read somewhere you can get some sort of kit for these with new gutz so it will index properly, just sits on a shelf for now, anyhow, i digress

i used the single bohning jig for blazers for quite awhile but slow, excellent but slow, tried the arizona ez fletch mini for blazers and i'm not sure you could improve on that set up, it was perfect every time, awesome helical, super fast to whip up a dozen that it is fun and i have offer out to do a buddies who shoots blazers as it is so easy, the hard part will be stripping old fletch

i got the longer arizona ez fletch for the flex fletch sk300 vanes i'm using now and i've made do, the gap in the arms is too fat for such thin vanes so bit of a learning curve there, got a couple dozen done but not as much helical as i was expecting after using the mini on blazers...the thick blazer vanes fit perfectly in the arizona....would like to see arizona give a flex fletch capable set of arms

and learned that crazy glue types are the shiz for holding on slick shafts! i used the flex fletch zing primer and their glue which is a crazy glue type...delicate process and i think i'd prefer to use the bitz so i could follow a tip i read by dabbing excess crazy glue of the ultra thin flex fletch vanes before clamping on and the bitz would work great for that and i could live with the added time....i just remembered...it the kit for the bitz called the zenith kit maybe? anyhow, maybe L.O.S.T. knows what i am talking about?but for guys shooting blazers and like helical...arizona ez fletch would be really hard to beat! and even longer regular type vanes using the longer arizona ez fletch would work great....these flex fletch are just soooo thin, i was scrapin excess glue off the arms u name it, i'm not even as hamfisted as many guys i know...its delicate process with those...awesome vanes though...the arizona mini might be excellent for the flash 2.0 flex fletch vanes but again i think the slot will be too fat and just won't be as sweet/easy as doing with blazers

There is a kit put out by Zenith Archery that fits theBitzenberger Jigs ...the kit with the new Zenith nock receivers will allow a tighter fit and indexing...a must for the older models...unfoutunately by time you get it ...it will be half the cost of the jig...

http://www.zenitharchery.com/home.htm

Neil
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM

You all have done some very nice fletching, cresting.

Something I should have added in my original post is how important
it is to match the feathers or veins before you start to glue them.
Since some of the guys on here shoot trad. and fletch with feathers
I'm sure they already know just how important matching feathers is.
The same is true with plastic veins, plastic has a kind of memory so
to speak, so a hand full from a box can end up varying on how they
stand upon their base.

Another note about glues... I used to Goat Tuff was great to apply
and remove but does solidify or thicken quickly and seemed to dry
with a white cast lately, so I've switched to Crazy Glue, holds ok
but is harder to clean off than Goat Tuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Still have the EZ Mini and all the components just in case.

J.
Ya just in case u decide to go to a bisquit, if I could live with a drop I'd probably give Fobs another shot tho check out flex fletch sk300 the r stiff but super thin they will be fast blazers r soft fat piggies compared to flex fletch

As for colors I like 2 and 1 not fussy just wanna see cock vane in heat of moment to ensure I dont lose speed to second shot if needed

Ehntr those blue ones look like foc monsters!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM

I use te Jojan Multi. have for te last 15 years or so. works good!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM

The Jojan Multi I had worked great but sold it off set the cost
of buying the Bitz. When I first started reflecting I thought I'd
be doing at least 1/2 doz at a time.

When I started closing my groups and then decided to shoot spots
instead, I only needed to refletch maybe 1 to 3 arrows at a time.
That's when I decided to check out the Bitz.

Side note ...
Adding on a peep sight really made a diff. here on tightening groups.
To reverse the effect take the rear sight off your favorite .22 and
try to shoot it sighing down the barrel.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Fletching

I have a Bitz and it is great but I wish the dials and moving parts had more marking on them so when you want 2 degrees offset or what ever you can see a line. The way it is you have to guess then mark the jig with a marker so you can return to the same spot.
Just don't understand how they can overlook something like that on what is supposed to be the best. Cheers Roscoe
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM

RoscoeP, I agree.

The marks are not very clear.

Either way horizontal or vertical.

What I have found is once you use it a few times you can figure out
the best way to locate the starting point (from nock to fletch end)
and simply rely on the detent of the nock reciver to locate the next index
position will work very well. Don't try to over due it when you index to the
next fletch position. Let the reciver find it's own next position.

That seems to work best for me, give it an easy turn and let it pop into
the next stop groove.

Don't push.

The only thing the messed me up was when my veins were not
matched.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 03-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Ya just in case u decide to go to a bisquit, if I could live with a drop I'd probably give Fobs another shot tho check out flex fletch sk300 the r stiff but super thin they will be fast blazers r soft fat piggies compared to flex fletch

As for colors I like 2 and 1 not fussy just wanna see cock vane in heat of moment to ensure I dont lose speed to second shot if needed

Ehntr those blue ones look like foc monsters!
You noticed the brass inserts. Not really a FOC monster. 125gr broadheads and 100gr brass inserts. Arrow length from throat of knock to beginning of insert is 28.75 and from throat to balance point is 20.75 inches. = 22.17% FOC. Ttl finished arrow weight is 475 grs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0690.jpg (30.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0691.jpg (46.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0692.jpg (58.3 KB, 6 views)