Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Wink Decision is down to two

For starters... I received outstanding service from Trophy Book archer today..... wow.

I have been to a few bow shops, and tried many bows.... models from PSE, Bear, APA, G5, Parker, Bow tech, Diamond, ....but today I finally got to shoot some Mathews. They blew away anything I have tried in the past couple months.

Its going to be a tough decision. But its going to be between the Mathews Creed, and the Mathews ZXT. Outstanding. Smooth, and quiet. At 60pounds, the ZXT drew back with no effort, as did the CREED with a smidge of ooomph, if that makes sense.

Im no small guy and have always shot on the heavy side So asked to have them cranked to 70 pounds to try out. I asked the store worker to watch for which one seems easier for me to draw. And she said they both looked effortless for me to draw. I noticed that on 70 pounds they felt the same.

I will say that I enjoyed both, and I dont know how I will decide. The ZXT seems more comfort and carry... slim limb design appealing to the eye. The creed feels good to aim and seemed to float out there on the target.... The ZXT seemed I had to bring up the sight to the target from below.. Dont know what thats all about.

The ZXT is shorter axle to axle is 28inches with 7.375” brace height, Creed is 30 inches.... with 7 inch brace height. Which would be more forgiving??

I have a feeling new age compound shooting is going to be too addicting, and Ill drop my fishing off the face of the earth all together, lol.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Did you try out the Helim BB?It is also a very sweet shooter at 3.5 lbs and 30'ata.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevy View Post
Did you try out the Helim BB?It is also a very sweet shooter at 3.5 lbs and 30'ata.
No.. i ran out of time. But i was super impressed with these two so far. I have time as I am giving myself from the end of the month to the first two weeks of April to make my decision. But I have a feeling one of these two will be coming home.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 PM

Both are awesome bows, cant go wrong with either choice. Try the Mathews Helim and Chill next time your out. If it was me I would get the ZXT and use the couple hundred you saved and put it into some good accessory's. Not sure if the ZXT is legal for Pope&Young entry if thats your thing.Personally I wouldn't care....
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppershot View Post
Not sure if the ZXT is legal for Pope&Young entry if thats your thing.Personally I wouldn't care....
out of curiosity why would the ZXT not be legal for pope and young?
thanks
Schian
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Alberta Bigbore you may want to give a shout out to Lost Arrow,
I'm not possitive but think Neil may have done some reviews on those
two bows.

I've been shooting a Switchback XT and a DXT for a while now and
wont part with eiter of them. Great shooting bows both of them.

Not sure on the P&Y requirements but could be the Reverse Assist on
the newer Mathews bows could be an issue ?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
out of curiosity why would the ZXT not be legal for pope and young?
thanks
Schian
#4 on the Pope&Young website under definition of a bow states and I quote, "The bow shall be no shorter than 30 inches" Not sure if this is an axel to axel measurement or if the cams are included as I have found conflicting information online stating both are true? There are a few other obscure rules such as the use of lumenoks disqualifying your entry....
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Let us know which one you go with!
Don't need a new bow but if I had the money I would get a new one each year!
And yes when you get into bowhunting/shooting your fishing suffers. Used to go fishing 15 times in summer but now with scouting and practicing I'm lucky if I manage 3 times.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppershot View Post
#4 on the Pope&Young website under definition of a bow states and I quote, "The bow shall be no shorter than 30 inches" Not sure if this is an axel to axel measurement or if the cams are included as I have found conflicting information online stating both are true? There are a few other obscure rules such as the use of lumenoks disqualifying your entry....

coppershot ...as with the Mathews Xtreme, P&Y deemed it legal with overall lentgh..

I also agree on tring the HeliM and Chill..if your looking at solo cam I would go HeliM all the way...

Generally the longer the ATA the more forgiving it is...hence long target bows..

wish ya luck with your decision Alberta Bigbore...you are deifinatly on the right track and choice IMHO...

Neil
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 PM

I am loving my HeliM!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
I am loving my HeliM!
x2
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM

I just bought the Mathews Creed at Jim Bows ... how sweet it shoot's.
I had less problem pulling the Creed in a 70lbs tuned down to 60 lbs, compared to a 60lbs tuned down to 50 lbs Bowtech Experience ... not sure why that is, but just felt really nice ... so even though I did not want a 70lbs bow, well that's what I got now :-)

I have to say, I liked the grip on the Bowtech much better ... but this Mathews Creed is awesome !!!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM

I have owned a couple of Mathews bows and currently am shooting the RH Creed @ 70#, and I have to say I love it. I tried the Chill and Helim as well but found the Helim a little light for my personal taste and the Chill felt like it took a little more oomph to pull it back to the let off point. The Creed is just a nice smooth straight pull and I was shooting nice tight groups within 9 arrows.

I will second the excellent service from Trophy Book in SG. I have purchased 4 bows from them in the last 2 years and they will continue to be my first choice in the future. When the local "sporting goods" store here could not get me the parts I wanted for one of my trad bows Trophy Book got it in for me and they did it quickly.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Im really thinking the Creed might be coming home with me..My gut says the ZXT. We will see. Since im so un decided.. the little lady says give it a few more weeks or so.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 PM

.. For.you AB..Creed at cost..call me

Neil
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Thank you for the offer, I will consider it.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM

Talking

Shoot an APA again.