Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 AM

Default Dry Fired compound Bow on Accident

So I recently bought a compound bow and was dinking around with it the other day. I had the full weight of the bow drawn back when the cable slipped out of my 3 fingers. Now before everyone harps on me about dry-firing a bow, I know it is rule number one and not to do it. I checked out my bow and the only damage was to the cable which snapped and a few marks on my forearm from it. I brought it to my archery shop the next day and they are going to re-string it for me and check it over. The Limbs seem fine, but i was wondering how safe it would be to shoot after I get it back?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Might be ok. Your bow shop will likely take a good look at it when they are fixing it. When you first start shooting it keep an eye and an ear peeled for anything suspicious. Limb cracks may show up later in life.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliesitDies View Post
So I recently bought a compound bow and was dinking around with it the other day. I had the full weight of the bow drawn back when the cable slipped out of my 3 fingers. Now before everyone harps on me about dry-firing a bow, I know it is rule number one and not to do it. I checked out my bow and the only damage was to the cable which snapped and a few marks on my forearm from it. I brought it to my archery shop the next day and they are going to re-string it for me and check it over. The Limbs seem fine, but i was wondering how safe it would be to shoot after I get it back?
The archery shop, any reputable archery shop, is not going to string the bow and give it back to you to use, if the limbs, cams, axles or anything else is screwed.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
The archery shop, any reputable archery shop, is not going to string the bow and give it back to you to use, if the limbs, cams, axles or anything else is screwed.
...Agreed..We have a super powerful magnifieying piece that we look over all limbs for even the micro cracks... we tear down the bow and check cams/idler wheels for cupping or damage, test Axle for straightness to see if it bent..go over string/cables for damage...reassemble back to bow spec and tune...

Any slight damage and parts are replaced

when you get it back it should be as new...and 100% safe

Neil
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

For future refference I have been to a few archery shops that will only let you draw a bow with an arrow strung, when pointed in a safe direction. I've addopted this pollicy at home, patching a hole in my drywall is far cheaper than buying a new bow, or even a string.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
For future refference I have been to a few archery shops that will only let you draw a bow with an arrow strung, when pointed in a safe direction. I've addopted this pollicy at home, patching a hole in my drywall is far cheaper than buying a new bow, or even a string.
X2. And to add to that, nobody but me ever touches my bow. As soon as people see it they wanna pull it. The answer is no.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM

get a draw check tool by tru fire releases, they are invaluable for drawing the bow safely without accidental dryfires, and they are only about 25 bucks or so
Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Two years ago ...it was the eve of opening day for bow season...i was super looking forward to it and was all ready but i been working past midnight for the last two weeks getting all the bow things done for all the guys that wait until the last minute to get ready [ dont be one of those guys lol]

Anyway I had worked on my new bow and had it perfected and raring to go..and hung it on the shelf with the new bows so it was out of the way...

it was past midnight and I was leaving in the morning and was just finishing up the last two customers when a I heard the bone chillin WHAPPPP!!!!

my heart sunk and I thought "Please gawd dont let that be mine" I went towards the bows and one of the guys came around a rack holding my bow and his face was white...

Now I have huge signs ..eye level both sides that read..IF you insist on drawing a bow and Dry firing it..you own it!!!

But it was totaled ripped a side ourt of cam ripped string and damaged cable...I let him off nicely and just charged him for a string and used cam.. but hunted with my back up..at very least always have an arrow nocked and aimed in a safe spot as mentioned...

Neil
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Yah believe me, my heart sank when I saw the aftermath. It's my first bow and I was a kid in a candy store on christmas eve for that matter lol. I will deffinately take the advice here and nock an arrow from now on. Putting a hole in my wall makes for a story, but putting a hole in my wallet from having to fix my bow all the time will make for a grumpy hunter! Thanks for the advice everyone. Guess I have alot more to learn before Deer season!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Ouch!