Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Furled Leaders

Was reading and looking around about Furled Leaders, I Haven't experienced it so I was wondering if someone around know about it. Are they good? Someone that knows where to get it? local fly shops carry them?

Even was reading about how to make it...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM

I've made a ton of them, the thread ones are much nicer than the mono ones. The one thing about them is that they are far easier for the fish to see, mono is worse for that. They will turn over like nobodies bussiness, if you want to try a couple, pm me your address and I'll send you a couple. Thread ones is all I have, I threw the momo ones out. Oh, one the house.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Banned

What is the reason for making furled leaders?
Is it to save money?
I have never heard of them b4 this post.
How many fishermen actually use it?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
What is the reason for making furled leaders?
Is it to save money?
I have never heard of them b4 this post.
How many fishermen actually use it?
I like to try everything. Is not for the money, is to understand why some people prefer it over the regular ones. If furled leaders are out there is for some reason, no? I dont think someone just said..ohh lets invent a furled leader because yes, because today is a beautiful day.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by osedma View Post
I like to try everything. Is not for the money, is to understand why some people prefer it over the regular ones. If furled leaders are out there is for some reason, no? I dont think someone just said..ohh lets invent a furled leader because yes, because today is a beautiful day.
I watched a few u-tube segments on making them....it seems kool, and maybe I'll try it for interest sake.
Ya it's good to learn new things.....and I just did
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
I watched a few u-tube segments on making them....it seems kool, and maybe I'll try it for interest sake.
Ya it's good to learn new things.....and I just did
Yeah! I watched some you tube videos tonight and it looks great to try. I'll keep looking around. I make my flies, I did try making a floatant (didn't work), I make dubbing, tan feathers..... and now I even want to try making my fly own rods...I need some one who teach! learn learn learn...that's life.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM

I use them all the time, really aid in turn over. Work great close in tight fishin' where you only have your leader and a foot or or two of flyline out the tiptop. I use mono and fluro, more durable than the thread leaders for my style of fishin'.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM

For anyone interested in making them these inst. were the best I found. I used a dremel instead of the hair twister, and a drill for the reverse part.
http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...led-leader.pdf

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
For anyone interested in making them these inst. were the best I found. I used a dremel instead of the hair twister, and a drill for the reverse part.
http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/h...led-leader.pdf
Thank you!!!! great tutorial. I'll try soon, I'll post my process and result.
Is there any neutral color for it?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 PM

The thread you want is unithread 0/6, it's available it a ton of different colors. I ended up buying a few spools of white, then you can rub weeds whatever into it to color it a little. Trust me on the unithread though, I tried a few other things to save money.

Thomas Sowell