Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-18-2015, 04:19 PM

Default burbot?

If one was heading out in search of burbs tomorrow afternnon/evening where would you suggest trying within a couple hrs of calgary
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM

was at sylvan today the ling are starting to gather for the spawn.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:16 AM

Default Burbot

In General where do burbot spawn, in shallow flats or out in deep water where they normall hang out, sandy bottom, rocky bottom? Thanks dale
Old 02-19-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesilvertip View Post
In General where do burbot spawn, in shallow flats or out in deep water where they normall hang out, sandy bottom, rocky bottom? Thanks dale
X2?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
X2?
In general, they spawn during the winter under the ice (December to March, depends on the lake). Yes, they do spawn on the bottom, sometimes shallow, sometimes deep.........sand/ gravel/silt/ whatever is available, it all varies from lake to lake. Location wise, if you want to keep them I recommend Lake X, otherwise Gull. Last time guys publicly broadcast a good burbot lake online it was fished out over 2 winters so don't expect much for specifics...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Sitting on cvr since 2:00 this aftrnoon and so far only walleye
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Hey guys just remember to check your regulations if you intend to keep some burbot as both Gull and Sylvan have a zero retention from Feb 1 - March 31.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Yup, phrased that a bit funny. The burbot fishing would be very good but you have to let them all go. So glad I can still keep burbs and wallies where I fish!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Hey guys just remember to check your regulations if you intend to keep some burbot as both Gull and Sylvan have a zero retention from Feb 1 - March 31.
X2 Burbs are on at gull, been out lots including last night and again tonight, I've had all my luck shallow over a gravel / rocky bottom and nothing untill after it's dark not a nibble then boom their all over the cam and hit till I leave 9:00 9:30 pm. I've noticed u have to be right on top of them out of 3 rods yesterday only one caught the fish and they were all about 10-15' apart? Also tried worms and minnows were the ticket. Good luck oh and not sure if this happens much and I'm embarrassed to say but I got creamed a few times (gross) if u know what I mean, ya bring a towl or rags it nasty
Old 02-20-2015, 08:07 AM

Burbs are broadcast spawners .... you will find them "doing their thing" over bottoms that will let the eggs settle safely between nooks and crannies of rock, timber, gravel usually.

Many Alberta lakes don't have too much of this structure ...... so they tend to spray and cloud up shallower areas, doing their thing, over muddy shorelines where the eggs might settle in the silt.

They are quite active this time of year .... so finding them should be pretty easy.