Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Default how to de-bone a pike fillet!!!

all of these years i have enjoyed a great pike feed. I usually hack it up into little morcels of which 50% still have a few bones. Well, i was at utikima this weekend and caught a few 7 to 10 lb pike and decided to keep them and try again. I can cape out a wtail in 20 mins or fillet a walleye in 2 mins, but always been a hack at pike. lol... I went on you tube and searched filleting a pike. or taking the y bones out of a pike and wow! a couple great videos and it is really as easy as it looks on the videos. And as most of us know, pike from under the ice on a clean lake are great table fare! So check it out. there is whitefish, pike etc....
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Yep. Not very hard.i find the easiest way is to not clean the fish at all. but cut the fillets off in one whole. right off the side of the fish. Leaving the guts and everthing witht he tail fin Spine and head.(I find you have more controll of the knife. Then just take off the skin/scales cut out the Y Bones. Done. Its all in one peice and its alot less messy.
Iv seen a billion ways of getting boneless or nearly fillets.
But i find that one the easyest.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 PM

You tube is awesome for that. A really cool vid is a guy cleaning perch. Says it only takes 10 seconds a fish.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Ya go to you tube and watch how they do it ive always throne them back but after watching how to do it on you tube ill never throw another one away.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholic523 View Post
Ya go to you tube and watch how they do it ive always throne them back but after watching how to do it on you tube ill never throw another one away.

Practice C&R Gurllz And Boiiz
just Kidding. Keep Only What you Need!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:16 AM

IMHO pike are the best eating fish out there after perch, but thats only if you can get the bones out. Not to hard once a guy does a few, I find the biggest thing is to have a really sharp knife.