Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM

Smile .410 for Pheasants?

I got the wife and I an electric trap, and it works great. My friends show up with a 28 ga. and a 410. I surprised myself with the little gun, very surprised.

I reload my hunting ammo, and I could easily make a hunting load in .410, but before I go to all that trouble, I'd appreciate any advice. Is the 28 as low as I should go. I hunt over a very good pointing dog and the shots are at short range. The 20 I'm using now is more gun than I need for the birds.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM

I killed quite a few sharptails with a 410, but I would much rather use one of my 28 gauges for pheasant. The 410 would be adequate at short ranges, but the 28 gauge is a significant step up for hunting.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 AM

I've used the 410 for pheasants and ruffed grouse before, and over a close working dog it is a fine gun if a fella can shoot, but I much prefer the 28 gauge for them.
It seems that the cut -off point between the payload of the 410 and the 28 is a bit wider that it is with say, the 20 and the 12 , as far as lethality goes.
Cat
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Depends on the shooter

In the hands of an expert shot or ranked shooter a 410 is deadly on pheasants.

Average shooter not so much.
Ask me how many pheasants I see missed and wounded in a year Bob with a 12 or 20 gauge so most should avoid the 410.
Did have a crow fly over last year at altitude when out with the boy and dropped him with a 410 but you know sometimes you have to be lucky to be good and good to be lucky. My son claimed "bullchit luck"!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Smile I don't want to cripple birds

The dog would get them, but all I'm asked to do is make a clean kill. so 28 will as low as I go. At least for now.

Rob you can tell your son the crow may have died of natural causes.

Bye the way our friend Ray 89 years old, told me his is retiring his present dog and will be running his 1 1/2 year old next year. He is an inspiration to all of us.