Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2022, 10:29 AM

Default Minnows

Anyone in here catch and preserve minnows for bait ? If so do you use a brine to keep them from sticking together and going soft and mushy when you thaw them out ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2022, 12:09 PM

Default Minnows

I catch almost all of my own bait. Brine them in a solution of salt, baking soda and cold water. I use sea salt, sodium bicarb, saltwater and ice in 4 liter jugs so I don’t dilute the solution. Give them 6-8 hours then freeze. Avoid iodised salt.

You need to dehydrate the cells enough so when the fish freezes and the water expands the cells don’t rupture. If they do, when you thaw them out they’ll be mushy.

The sodium bicarb preserves the colour, sets the scales and prevents bacterial growth.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 06-23-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:18 PM

Thanx I'll give it a shot ,how much salt and soda in the water?

Old 06-23-2022, 12:25 PM

Being as I’m starting with saltwater I use a large handful of salt into a bucket like you see. Idk how much you need into fresh water but I would probably give it two handfuls or salt. If it doesn’t all dissolved into solution use less next time.

You only need about a tablespoon of bicarb. I just grab a little from the bag and throw it in.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:17 PM

Default Minnows

The next question is, where can you catch minnows in Alberta? You don’t see them around like you used too.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
The next question is, where can you catch minnows in Alberta? You don’t see them around like you used too.

You know, I don’t even live there anymore and I wouldn’t give away my minnow spots. I know of a few gravel pits and lakes in central
Alberta with the correct type of shiners in them and will likely guard that knowledge until I die.

Speaking of the bicarb, look at that colour preservation. These have been dead for 8-10 hours. Bait so good it’s better then the fish most people eat.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM

I just put them in a bucket fresh and drain well, then salt the heck out of them (non iodized, coarse). Place in a colander with a water catch under it overnight. In the morning they will be tough and leathery, freeze, vacuum frozen is best. I will have to give coils method a try as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-23-2022, 04:40 PM

They can be salted and mummified if you choose. Here’s an article about that

https://www.fishing.net.nz/fishing-a...salting-baits/

I vac seal my bait too in packages of 6-8 fish. On the boat I keep it in the freezer and thaw them out as required in a bucket of seawater.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:07 AM

Thanx for all the info guys ..much appreciated

Old 06-24-2022, 08:08 AM

Why not iodized salt?
Old 06-24-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Why not iodized salt?
To be honest I’ve never tried it, I’m just parroting what I’ve read. Usually I try something I’ve read so I have my own experience but this one seems easy enough to comply with being as non iodised salt is much cheaper. I get sea salt for free so I’m in no hurry to go buy iodised table salt to do some myth busting.

That said, there are many reports of iodine in the salt turning baits brown, damaging the cells of the bait and making them wash out quicker, potentially changing the taste… the list goes on. Who knows, might not make an inch of difference but I’ll stick to my sea salt.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:31 AM

I've used iodized salts a lot brining anchovies for salmon fishing. Mostly since I didn't have access to non iodized at the time. Never saw any difference myself. It does seem to be a common wisdom you hear all the time but I have wondered if it truly makes a difference or not.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I just put them in a bucket fresh and drain well, then salt the heck out of them (non iodized, coarse). Place in a colander with a water catch under it overnight. In the morning they will be tough and leathery, freeze, vacuum frozen is best. I will have to give coils method a try as well.
Just reread this, the colander should be in the fridge overnight.

Thomas Sowell