Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Thinking of getting into re-loading

Guys like the title says, I am thinking of getting into re-loading. I have been talking to a few guys about it. Anyways long story short in my internet surfin I was able to find this http://www.cabelas.ca/show_prod.php?...eo1cibkccftc75. Is this set up worth looking at it seems pretty cheap?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM

It'll definitely do the trick. Get a reloading manual. I personally don't have enough room in my house to set up a bench so i got the Hand press that lee makes. Works great and it's small and easy to store/transport. Lee is a great brand and is'nt too expensive. Like I said before make sure to get a manual and read up on reloading. Good luck
Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

The Lee set up will get you going economically. Just a warning though, that press will break when you least expect it to and at the absolutley wrong time. Like the night before a hunt. The linkages are made out of a pot metal combo that is rather soft and i never had a lee press last longer than a year. That is reloading about 500 rounds of 4 different calibers so easily 2000 rounds in all. While i definitley got my use out of them, the two that broke on me did so at the worst times.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM

That'll get you started, you'll need lots of additional bits and pieces though.

LeverBoy does have a point. It'd be money well spent to get the upgraded LEE kit with the Classic Cast press, IMO. That is one LEE product built to last.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM

I bought this kit last year when I started reloading and it works fine. I have run about 1000 rnds though it with no problems. I did go and buy a proper case trimmer, lube pad, deburring tool, brushes, primer pocket cleaner and a few other items to help round the kit out but I would reccomend this for someone else who is starting and doesn't know if they will do to much of it.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 AM

Default Lee: fine stuff

TDW, I've been reloading about a year now and use a few of the Lee products included in the Anniversary kit you're looking at, and they are fine. I also use tools from four other brands iirc.

The Lee "Perfect Powder Measure" is inexpensive, yet it delivers a predictable amount of the two powder types I use. Not exactly the same amount, but consistently safe charge under-weights that a quick topping up at the scale with a trickler will fine tune. With Lee's PPM, my limited experience is that the charge does not vary by a mission critical amount. I still end up weighing all my charges - many do even with powder measures that are 4x to 6x the price. Before you first use yours, wipe down the insides with an anti-static dryer sheet, to prevent powder cling. I also dusted a bit of graphite in mine.

The Lee Chamfer Tool is very efficient, compact & lightweight, fast, easy to control the exact amount of chamfer. It does not tire the fingers, and is easily flipped end to end for inside and outside deburring/chamfers. Chamfers well for flat-based and boat-tailed.

The Lee Primer Pocket Cleaning Tool needs but a finger twist. It too is small and efficient for what it is.

The Lee Safety Prime I don't have. If it works like the Lee Hand Prime, it should give consistent seating depth - but you need to stay alert and make sure the primers stay bottom-side down above the ram. Don't point the cartridge at your face when you prime, and wear safety glasses. A cleaned primer pocket greatly facilitates consistent & safe seating.

I will assume you have or will purchase a manual or two. The Lymans one covers the process quite well, has recipies for many bullet and powder brands. The pictures could use more definition, but the text is excellent.

Finally, may I suggest a couple reloading blocks, to keep your batch process organized.