Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Steyr Rifles

Hey just wondering on what everyone thinks of the Steyr Rifles?

I might be intrested in the pro hunter anyone have any experience with these rifles?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

spendy guns, don't know of many around our parts so good luck getting much for reviews but hopefully some guys will chime in, might wanna ask on gunnutz, from what i've read on them they are excellent guns and accurate, i was interested in them for awhile, i liked the one with the extra magazine storage in the butt stock....was thinking for predator action but went with a custom auto-loader instead....
Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Why

Might as well pay full price for my Sako m75 custom next October if you want a Steyr. Or find a Sako m75 and custom it up!! would be my suggestion.

But if you want to be really different, buy the Steyr-then custom the barrel.

Later Mike
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Default steyre

yes i owned one, a stainless camo in 300 win it was the same price as a sako 75 stainless.one thing i didn't like was the very small loading port and the trigger wasn't very good,some creep.the gun is heavy but shoots good i liked the butterknife handle and look of the barrel and the clip.I shot a nice 5point elk with it.I did sell the gun and something lighter,weatherby 300win ultra-light,i own a 300wby sako stainless 75 and a sako 85 stainless 338win.If you are going to spend 1700 on a gun then get a sako,best quality out of the three
Old 11-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Banned

Default steyr

I agree, there have been too many problems with the Steyr rifles for me to want one and my buddy, a highend gear nut, like me, will no longer buy them. I DO have an original Mannlicher-Schoenauer and have had a couple of others, but, they are almost impossible to find now and were superb rifles.

The Steyr is another of these modern designs with tolerances too tight for a hunting rifle, difficult to impossible to single-load quickly from the top and too much plastic which sometimes fails. I do not see these as HUNTING rifles comparable to many of the older models from years ago and consider them over-priced for what you realistically get.

The Sako 85 is, IMO, a FAR superior rifle for serious hunting and my choice if I were to buy a new rifle. I had one in sts-.338WM put away for me at Italian Sports here in Vancity, where I deal, but, decided that, with five .338s on hand, it was foolish to buy another. So, I will go without one, but, they seem a fine piece.