Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Muzzle brake ?

was just wondering ,,,i sprayed the inside of my brakes with wipe out
the one on the left has holes all the way around the one on the right just has hole on top and a bit on sides ,,,, is this normal? at the range people have mentioned how much the barrel mov es downward and wondering if the bullets r touching the brake and shearing copper off the bullet ?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM

Fred.
I think you are having issues with the one brake. Likely the bullet is nicking the brake while exiting.
Try it without, and if your POI changes drastically, then yup it's getting hit.
Not all that uncommon, some fellers do have issues with getting everthing in line when threading things up.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Could be if you cleaned the barrel previously with the brake installed and foam or copper remover got from the barrel to the interior of the brake and dried, a new cleansing with wipe out would flush it out and it will show blue. Also some barrels and bullets will vaporize some copper leaving copper residue to collect on the brake as it passes gas.

I think if the bullet was striking the break after leaving the bore it would shoot awfully poor. It would have to be machined so poorly that you would see runout wobble as you screw it on the barrel. You should not be able to see the break when looking down the bore from the receiver if you can somethings very wrong or the exit hole is too small. In some cases taking the break off can change the harmonics of the barrel and change the point of impact.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Could be if you cleaned the barrel previously with the brake installed and foam or copper remover got from the barrel to the interior of the brake and dried, a new cleansing with wipe out would flush it out and it will show blue. Also some barrels and bullets will vaporize some copper leaving copper residue to collect on the brake as it passes gas.

I think if the bullet was striking the break after leaving the bore it would shoot awfully poor. It would have to be machined so poorly that you would see runout wobble as you screw it on the barrel. You should not be able to see the break when looking down the bore from the receiver if you can somethings very wrong or the exit hole is too small. In some cases taking the break off can change the harmonics of the barrel and change the point of impact.
I believe you are on the right track here.
If the rifle shoots accurately the chances that the bullets are contacting the brake are about zero.
Removing the brake will not change the accuracy, but will certainly change the POI
There is a small amount of copper vaporized during the bullets travel down the barrel, this will collect as particulate in the brake.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM

i take the breaks off for cleaning ,so i dont think its x contamiation.
p.o.i is 6 inches higher without or with (cant remember that part , i think i shot it without then put it on and had to lower the scope sights ) the break at 100yards.
shoots decent both ways.
next cleaning i will watch it come out blue and see if the end of the break leaks out more blue then the back side ...oh and good idea lo0kin down the bore will have to look.
thanks

oh yea its a 22-250

Last edited by sdeviation; 10-23-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM

well gave it another cleanng
and sure enough the blue comes out of all holes so its probably vapor..
i get more blue out the brake then the barrel.
i couldnt pull my bolt out so i took it apart (action to stock) to clean and lube the bolt realease thingy (lever) and notice the barrel is rally starting to shine up the stock in the fore end. so i decided to drill right threw the brake and get sum gas releasing on the bottom side also ...Pic to come wen i get her back out ...
thnks all

ohyea ,,i rerassembled and looked down the barrel and cannot see the brake...
Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 PM

You drilled more holes in you're brake?

An easy way to tell if the bullets are touching the brake when they leave the barrel is to put a snug fiting cleaning rod or dowel in the bore and see if it touches the brake anywhere.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
i take the breaks off for cleaning ,so i dont think its x contamiation.
p.o.i is 6 inches higher without or with (cant remember that part , i think i shot it without then put it on and had to lower the scope sights ) the break at 100yards.
shoots decent both ways.
next cleaning i will watch it come out blue and see if the end of the break leaks out more blue then the back side ...oh and good idea lo0kin down the bore will have to look.
thanks

oh yea its a 22-250
Don't mean to be a sh1tdisturber or anything, but why a muzzle brake on a 22-250?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 PM

why a break ? i am after that illusive red mist...
actually its pretty neat having no recoil u would be amazed how much the rifle just sits there and vibrates ....

yes i drilled ,,,the brake has only holes on the top and to 180 degrees to the sides,,,and wen i shoot the gas bends the barrel down and bounces of the stock i would presume...so i used the top holes to guide the bit down ,,so now i have 5 or 4 holes on the bottom to help ease that action of bending i hope ..lol
Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
why a break ? i am after that illusive red mist...
actually its pretty neat having no recoil u would be amazed how much the rifle just sits there and vibrates ....

yes i drilled ,,,the brake has only holes on the top and to 180 degrees to the sides,,,and wen i shoot the gas bends the barrel down and bounces of the stock i would presume...so i used the top holes to guide the bit down ,,so now i have 5 or 4 holes on the bottom to help ease that action of bending i hope ..lol
Ok, gotcha. A lot of the guys that I shoot with at the range place their left hand (rh shooters) over top of the barrel. I tell them "hands off". let the barrel go where it wants to go. But if you're barrel comes into contact with the channel of the stock forearm, then you're not showing enough "free float". On rifles that will be used at the range ie: on sand bags or varminters which may use a bi-pod, then you need a lot of free floating space or you need a stiffer stock forearm. Either situations are easily corrected. Bottom line is : don't despair, your gun can be made to shoot well with minimum of expense, if you know what you're doing.