Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 06:27 AM

Default Wabamun

Went there Sunday for a father's day fish, finally a day without much wind. As usual lots and lots of small walleye. Measured one of the largest ones out of curiosity and it was just about 42cm. Still not much growth going on. It would be nice to see this lake open to retention for one month, even if just for one year in the summer to get the walleye population to a reasonable level fast where they can start growing. Tag sales don't look to be stellar.

Did get a decent pike about 4lbs. Looked healthy, maybe big enough to snack on small walleye.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2022, 06:39 AM

I caught 15 pound pike there and some big eyes but nothing big in the last few years
Old 06-21-2022, 09:35 AM

There are some nicer walleyes that I’ve found hangout at a spot along the south shore that are typically 18-20” with the biggest ones going 23-24”(although fairly rare). On the whole though they do tend to be small. I’d suggest giving them a go with a fly rod since the fight is better.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:39 PM
Banned

Fly rod is fun for them
Old 06-24-2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Went there Sunday for a father's day fish, finally a day without much wind. As usual lots and lots of small walleye. Measured one of the largest ones out of curiosity and it was just about 42cm. Still not much growth going on. It would be nice to see this lake open to retention for one month, even if just for one year in the summer to get the walleye population to a reasonable level fast where they can start growing. Tag sales don't look to be stellar.

Did get a decent pike about 4lbs. Looked healthy, maybe big enough to snack on small walleye.

Was out there the same day and same experience......we bonked our 6 (Grandpa, son, grandson) but I dont think offering 2 tags a year is going to do anything to knock the population back. There's alot of misinformation for the uninformed about Wabamun, and more than a few people have a tendency to shy away from the thought of eating fish from there. I think at the very least they could say 2 tags/month (or even week) until the allotted number is sold. Not much interest in Class C tags to begin with, add the fact its Wab to that and I dont see them selling them all this year.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:30 PM

I like that idea. For Wab may as well let people buy as many as they want. $11 for 2 tags I can't justify myself.

Old 06-26-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Was out there the same day and same experience......we bonked our 6 (Grandpa, son, grandson) but I dont think offering 2 tags a year is going to do anything to knock the population back. There's alot of misinformation for the uninformed about Wabamun, and more than a few people have a tendency to shy away from the thought of eating fish from there. I think at the very least they could say 2 tags/month (or even week) until the allotted number is sold. Not much interest in Class C tags to begin with, add the fact its Wab to that and I dont see them selling them all this year.
Or ditch the tags and go to a 1 walleye daily limit
Old 06-26-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I like that idea. For Wab may as well let people buy as many as they want. $11 for 2 tags I can't justify myself.

Lol! 11 bucks gets you a whomping 5.8L of gas around here. That might be enough to run a gas powered skooter to Wab....one way.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Amen! Or 2 in a certain slot range.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Yes sir, even better
Old 06-27-2022, 06:46 AM

Open it up until half the walleye are gone, then go to one a day.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:05 PM

got one whitefish at 20"