Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2022, 08:08 AM

Default Jasper

I've got an old military buddy coming in for his parents 50th anniversary. They are staying in Jasper the weekend of the 17th. He is bringing his son-in-law who has never been to the Rockies and is a fellow fishing nut. He really wants to catch a fish with the mountains in the background. My buddy told his son-in-law that i'm a good fisherman and has pressed me into service. Only thing is, i've never fished in the Jasper area before.

I phoned Online Sport and Tackle and they say the rivers are blown out right now and best to pick a lake. They recommend Pyramid. Can anyone provide a little assistance so I can get this young man onto a trout? We are only going out for the one day and will not be renting a boat.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
I've got an old military buddy coming in for his parents 50th anniversary. They are staying in Jasper the weekend of the 17th. He is bringing his son-in-law who has never been to the Rockies and is a fellow fishing nut. He really wants to catch a fish with the mountains in the background. My buddy told his son-in-law that i'm a good fisherman and has pressed me into service. Only thing is, i've never fished in the Jasper area before.

I phoned Online Sport and Tackle and they say the rivers are blown out right now and best to pick a lake. They recommend Pyramid. Can anyone provide a little assistance so I can get this young man onto a trout? We are only going out for the one day and will not be renting a boat.

Thanks
I wouldn't recommend Pyramid. It has a good number of inflows and was already really off color on the weekend and tough fishing. It will be very stained like the rivers.

I only fish with a boat. I'm sure there are some good lakes like the valleye of the 5 that are a decent hike but you can fish from shore. Maybe some others on here can pipe up.

Otherwise, Maligne river would be my choice. It was very, very low last weekend. It will be much higher though by the time you go... caution for sure. Also the bears should have moved up by that time so that is another consideration. Maybe talk to Online and see if you can get a guide for a part of the day. It will be money well spent.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:25 AM

Fish Maligne. Rent a boat or better yet hire a guide from Online
Old 06-12-2022, 08:31 AM

Ok, thanks all. I told them not to expect much at this time of the year. Setting expectations
Old 06-12-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Fish Maligne. Rent a boat or better yet hire a guide from Online
This really is the best suggestion. Ice is fresh off the lake. Fish will be in homebay and should be very on.

My first experience for Maligne was a guide as well. Been hooked on the lake ever since. It experience is much more than just catching fish. Think of that for your guests.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:24 AM

Fishing is hot there right now !
Old 06-14-2022, 07:31 PM

I wonder with all this damned rain!
Old 06-14-2022, 08:08 PM

maligne x 2. hire a guide do it right
Old 06-14-2022, 08:17 PM

If you want more of a 'backwoods' experience than Maligne, rent a rowboat (get the key @ On-Line Sports in Jasper) for Moab Lake. Beautiful little dog-leg lake, alway a corner out of the wind, and lots of rainbows.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:56 AM

Tx. I'll check it out
Old 06-16-2022, 05:47 PM

Well, I rented a freighter canoe with and electric motor and couple of batteries. Reasonable price I felt. Anyway, I have most of the gear I need and picked up a few flatfish from Cabela's. That with my wet flies etc., and I'm pumped and know we will smash some fish. I will report back.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:53 AM

A beautiful day on the lake and we never caught a fish. Despite recommendations by many people, including Online personnel in Jasper, they were hitting chironomids only. And i had nothing in regards to that equipment. Never fished chironomids before, though it doesn't look difficult. Oh well, fishing is a constant education. Next time I will know what to being
Old 06-20-2022, 09:15 AM

I was up at Maligne about two weeks ago, before the big rains.

Saw 9 bears in a short order. 4 grizz and 5 blacks. The place is crawling with bears.

Didn't get any fishing in, but was able watch the trout at the headwaters.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
A beautiful day on the lake and we never caught a fish. Despite recommendations by many people, including Online personnel in Jasper, they were hitting chironomids only. And i had nothing in regards to that equipment. Never fished chironomids before, though it doesn't look difficult. Oh well, fishing is a constant education. Next time I will know what to being
Fishing chironomids can be relatively straight forward. If you're using spin gear, you can simply use a slip bobber with a small non-lead weight. Tie the chironomid using a loop knot so it can move freely and start 1 foot off the bottom.

There are a few popular patterns that I find work most of the time (gunmetal, chromie, black and red, olive, etc). Get a few of those patterns in different sizes (sz 14 and 16 are my go-tos).