Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Default .358 Win or .350 Rem Mag?

I'm looking for a short light carbine in either of these calibres. Not too impressed with the .338 Fed and my .35 Whelen came back from the 'smith with a much longer heavier barrel than I really wanted. So.....wait for Rugers' Frontier in .358 or find a Rem model 7 in .350? The Ruger would be pretty much ready to go and the Remmy would need a Sako extrcator and then a laminate or 'galss stock.

Opinions??
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 02-18-2008, 01:29 AM

Neither, get a 9.3x57 or 62 I just ordered a 62, and the suspense is killing me

But seriously, since you want small and light I'd go .358, and I do have a thing for those stubby little rugers, though I don't have one. But a lightweight old Husky in 9.3x57 would be a very nice alternative, provided you handload.

I guess the one other option would be a Ruger Mark II in .350 and get it chopped, assuming you could find one.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:36 AM

The 9.3X57mm is a very good cartridge, as is the 358win.
I dismantled an original Kynoch round at one time to check the poeder and bullet - this was before the 9.3 bullets were available to us.
the case had a full load of some time of ball powder and a 258 grain bullet IIRC.
In the old Mauser Sporter I ws shooting it was a keller at BOTH ends!
The rifle only weighed about 6 - 6.5 lbs.

I've done quite a bit of load development on a friend's 358 winchester and really like it, a tad smaller than the 35Whelen, but bullets with a bith of weight to them.

I like the 9.3 caliber better however, (for no particular reason) so would get on of those if I were putting a rifle together in tha caliber size.

Tradeex has lots of them for cheap, and the '98 Mauser has lots of aftermarket stuff for upgrades...
Cat
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM

I can't say whether or not its still there, but I'd seen a Remington guide gun in .350 Rem Mag at Backcountry Sports in Red Deer some # of months back, it had a 2-tone laminate stock, real wood colours in light and dark brown with a vented rib and open sights. It was a 700 action, but I can't recall the model # anymore, nor can I find a link on Rem's website anymore, as I had also seen it there previously available in a few calibre's.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 PM

What are you planing on killing? Moose and bear with that big magnum calibers.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Moose, bear, deer elk, you a typical Alberta day out in the field. Actually I've been using a Tikka M695 in 6.5x55 for a number of years and have an assortment of other calibres, BUT all of the rifles are getting heavier every year. I like the idea of a big heavy slower moving slug and a light weight rifle 6-7 lbs so these two rifle/calibres seem pretty good. I find the vented rib and high from sight absolutely hideous on the Rmington Guide Gun, that and its been dropped for '08 (WSS had one but I'd rather be dipped in hot oil than purchase there). Really wish Savage/Steven would produce one of their economically priced Model 200 rifles in .350 or .358, that would be perfect. Tikka makes the T3 in .338 Fed, but there's enough about the T3 I don't like, not to purchase it. The CZ 9.3x62 was very high on my wish list last year but the importer told me that they might be able to get me one in '08 so I went with the .35 Whelen. It is an absolute tack driver but is longer and heavier that I wanted.

After speaking with the former Western Canadian Warrenty shop for Remington and Savage, I am really leaning to the Ruger, as Remington is putting out a "lot of junk" lately and begining to wish for a .358/.350 Savage lightweight.
go home from us in peace.
We ask not your counsels or your arms.
Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams 1775
Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Found it!

Remington 673 Guide Rifle.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._673_specs.asp

I wasn't yet equipped for reloading when I was looking at this gun. I thought it quite tempting, but the low selection/availability of ammunition was a concern to me at the time.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Gone Hunting

A REALLY nice option is the Swiss Arms SHR from Tradex in Montreal!

I initially had some bad luck with mine (the stock cracked at the wrist), but Tradex came through with a replacement stock (no charge, not even shipping!) and I am now back in business.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up Thumper

I'm kind of new to this, but I'll give it a try. You were asking about a 350 rem mag., I can say, if you can find a 673 Guide gun, you can't go wrong. I live in Alaska and pack it hiking in bear counrty. It is not a long range smoke pole, I have a 340 for that. But hiking through thick brush, the 22" bbl is nice. It has a laminated stock, so no worry about wood warpage. I had put a little 2-7 compact scope on it, but have since taken it off. The rifle is good out to about 250. If you set it up, 3" high at 125 yards, it will be about 6" low at about 260 yards. That is with the factory 200 grainer.
I hope you made a good choice. I recently purchased another 673 in 6.5 mag.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM

358Win has a more favorable expansion ratio, therefore it lends it's self to a short barreled carbine, than it's belted cousin.

20" barrels will net you 2400-2450fps with 200gr, 2300-2350fps with 225's, and 2200-2250 with 250's.

Brass is easy to make.(reform 308Win)

And sight in a 200gr. Hornady SP for +3" @ 100yds, dead on about 200yds, and 5-6" low at 250yds.

good luck

There are no absolutes