Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2008, 07:10 AM
2430M

Default Firearms licence renewal

Just thought I would give a heads up. I had been waiting for awhile for mine to come in, 190 days now. I renewed early so I'm not "in need" of it right away but I was starting to wonder what was up. I called yesterday to find out the hold up. After talking to the Alberta lady she said the only hold up was they were awaiting a copy of my range membership. I asked why no one informed me of the missing info and she said "they would have, in a while. Right now we are so backed up on these you are better to call after 60-90 days to check in on it".

I know we shouldn't have to keep on them but alas, we do. So if you need yours right away and have been waiting, get on the phone.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 AM

That is good advice 2430M. I recently renewed my PAL as well and it was nowhere near as quick as I expected. I thought that a routine renewal would be 4 weeks max but it was a lot longer. If your PAL is set to expire I would get your renewal in at least 3 months before it expires. Track its progress on the CFC website and start calling at 45 days. They will eventually put you in touch with the Chief Firearms Office in Alberta if that is where your application is hung up and you can find out what else they want from you. If you have a restricted PAL, it would be wise to include a copy of your membership at an approved range. Nowhere in your renewal correspondence does it say to include it and I can't find anywhere that it states that it is required but it will only help the processing time of your application.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Mine was set to expire in early Aug. so I sent in renewal forms early June, (they recieved it june 3 in the far east). I got a letter from them because I put NA in a space for "...married or lived with another partner in the last..." So I had to ask then to put NO in that line. Then I started calling them back once in awhile. The application went from N.B. to Edmonton and then to Calgary and I called the fellow there a number of times and got his voice mail.

I finally got him on the line and he rummaged around on his desk and then on his computer and looked over the application and said looks fine I'll send it off to N.B. and you should have it in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 AM

2430M. CFC did the same crap with my renewal. Waited and waited for my card. Called New Brunswick and they said all was good, just needed final processing in Edmonton. Waited some more and finally got hold of them and they told me the same thing. You need to send proof of range membership or fill out a form saying I was a collector. I think they wait until your card expires to get you in illegal possesion of handguns to take them so they are "Off the street".
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM

Exact same thing happened to me. i phoned the cfc after 60 days-they said that they were waiting on the alberta firearms officer to ok it-said phone back in a couple weeks. Phoned back after a couple weeks-was told the same thing so I asked to be put through to the alberta firearms offiicer. Lady there told me they needed a copy of my range memebership for my restricted license. Faxed her a copy and 2 weeks later I had my new license-10 days before it was set to expire. Would be nice if they put this on the application form so we would all know that they need this.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 AM

Friend of mine applied in mid-June. Still nothing. Gotta love bureaucrats!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:21 AM

I had same issue
applied early and waited and right up till the last 2 weeks i called....
same thing we r waiting for a copy of a range membership...
no one informed me either ,,, it arrived 3 days before me birthday .....
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned

Please be more clear and concise with this post fellas. The fellas that need proof of range membership are the fellas that are reapplying for their RESTRICTED LICENSE For those not in the know, you do not need a range membership to reapply for your NON RESTRICTED LICENSE

...............just wanted to clear the air for others.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM

The sad part about this kind of thing is that you can become a criminal and lose your firearms because of something beyond your control. Thank you Allan Rock!! What an *****Clown.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
Please be more clear and concise with this post fellas. The fellas that need proof of range membership are the fellas that are reapplying for their RESTRICTED LICENSE For those not in the know, you do not need a range membership to reapply for your NON RESTRICTED LICENSE

...............just wanted to clear the air for others.
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention I needed it for both non and restricted.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM

Don't wanna be the odd man out but I renewed mine, previously non-restricted, to both- last spring and received it in 4 weeks. At the time I didn't even belong to a range! They did call me and my references...they wanted to know why I wanted the restricted portion... I didn't say home defense lol.

I didn't think the law said anything about having to belong to a range before you receive a permit to transport.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpack View Post
Don't wanna be the odd man out but I renewed mine, previously non-restricted, to both- last spring and received it in 4 weeks. At the time I didn't even belong to a range! They did call me and my references...they wanted to know why I wanted the restricted portion... I didn't say home defense lol.

I didn't think the law said anything about having to belong to a range before you receive a permit to transport.
You need to say why you want the restricted. You have only 2 options to choose from target shooter or collector.

"Criteria For Each Purpose

Depending on which purpose you select, there are some specific criteria you have to meet, as follows.
Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact your provincial CFO by calling 1 800 731-4000.
Collectors of Restricted Firearms

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, you must:

* Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in your collection
* Consent to occasional inspections of the place where your collection is stored
* Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms"

The reason most people go with the target shooting and join a range is to keep away from the random inspections that will come with the collector status. And no, you don't need a range membership for an Att but I'll be darned if I can think of a reason to have an ATT without belonging somewhere you can shoot it.

Glad to hear you got yours back fast
Old 09-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Guess I got lucky, again I didn't think the range requirement was there until I actually acquired a restricted firearm. Goes to show that no matter how careful we are, between the voluminous hunting regs and the goshawful firearms laws I bet half of us are breaking laws and don't even know it!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM

PS I did say "target shooting" and I now belong to a range
Old 09-16-2008, 02:49 PM

So someone set me straight here,

I have a PAL that is restricted and non-restricted. I only got the restricted before cause I was applying to be a park warden and other such jobs. Now, when I renew I want to keep the restricted as an option in case any of these positions come up again, but I don't own a handgun and probably never will, so do I still need to be a member of a range to have a restricted PAL??

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM

I am certainly not an expert but I originally passed the test for both but for my first PAL I only got the non-restricted. This time, on my renewal I changed it to both. Nowhere on the application does it say anything about a range. The authorities phoned and asked what I wanted it for and I replied "target shooting". I still haven't acquired a non-restricted firearm but have heard that the range membership (and of course the restricted PAL) is necessary to get 'er home. Anyone else weighing in?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Pleasent Renewal

Don't rely on Snail Mail. If you are close to the local Firearms centre, go and see them in person. When I got my notice for my PAL renewal, I went into the Edmonton Office. The girl there took my paperwork, went into the back, came back and said, "I will only renew this till your birthday" I asked her why and she replied, "Then you can come in (Another trip to the city??? Now I am %$#@ed) and we will renew this AND renew your ATT (Authorization to Transport) at the same time as it expires on your Birthday as well. Then she makes them both out for Five years (I thought they were only for three) So that was good on her part. Now, if I can only get my WIN card to expire in the same year as these do, I would be set.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:29 PM

I have heard so many stories about this kind of stuff, it's crazy. My bro sent his renewal TWICE (non-restricted only) over 6 months, and both times got told that they (Miramichi) had never received it. He will soon be in the position of trying to transfer his firearms to others, because his license has expired, and he can't get anywhere with the CFC.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Don't know why my wife and I don't seem to have any problems. Usually 30-35 days turn-around time. Found out from my first PAL, fill in every line and send back every page that is in the application form and no problems.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 PM

I sent mine in 1st august got it back 10 days ago. Restricted and non restricted renewal didnt see anything thing about range membership in there.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
Just thought I would give a heads up. I had been waiting for awhile for mine to come in, 190 days now. I renewed early so I'm not "in need" of it right away but I was starting to wonder what was up. I called yesterday to find out the hold up. After talking to the Alberta lady she said the only hold up was they were awaiting a copy of my range membership. I asked why no one informed me of the missing info and she said "they would have, in a while. Right now we are so backed up on these you are better to call after 60-90 days to check in on it".

I know we shouldn't have to keep on them but alas, we do. So if you need yours right away and have been waiting, get on the phone.

Same thing for me, i sent in 3 months early, they rec it March 26th, finally called Ab CFO and talked to a nice lady. Same thing we are waiting for your Membership blah blah, I asked "ok but why would i have been contacted for this info?" she said we should have in April, but forgot....lol what a joke the system is. Oh well the wife is happy about it, she now has 3 more guns registered in her name lol
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Default range membership

Good thing I red this, Theyve had my renewal app in edmonton since July, mine is restricted and I have pistols, my pal expired 2 weeks ago, they said i had nothing to worry about because they recieved my application before the the old one expired, I was worried about it for a bit, i was out of town for a month, the wife said it came in the mail but when i got home it was my new WIN not Restricted PAL, thought i was gonna be in shi* and lose my handguns.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 AM

I renewed my PAL after letting it slide for 2 years. My application was officially received on August 5 2008 and I had my new PAL in hand the first week of September...probably a new record judging by the other responses on this forum.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM

Sent mine in a month ahead of time,watched on the www for 3 weeks,kept saying it was received and in the finall process.At 4 weeks to the day I called in and after many transfers I talked to the RCMP lady and she found a comp. glitch that had me flagged.She fixed it,said it would be in the mail in two weeks.Ten days later it was here.About 6 weeks all told.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 AM

Both my wife and I renewed our non/restricted PAL's this year. Both of them were done in 3 weeks flat. Granted we already knew to include proof of range membership so we did that. I'm not aware of anyone who has everything in order from the get go who hasn't had it turned around within a month (until reading this thread that is).