Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Thumbs down Is anyone trading trucks off lately?

I have a 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 with under 100km, and a 2016 F150 Lariat with 51km. I was talking to my son about trading one or both off, the 1 ton because it has a sunroof that takes away valuable headroom, and the 1/2t because I never use it.
He recommended TEAM ford, and told a buddy there I was maybe looking to trade.

A day later I get a text from a salesperson asking about the trucks. I sent him pics and VIN's, got back a very excited 'WOW those are Mint! You will get HUGE money for them!!!
I asked him what HUGE money was for the 1 ton, he said 'HIGH TEENS!!!'

I said Pardon? (in my best The Champ voice)

That pretty much ended it with TEAM ford. No, actually, that ended it.
I was talking about it with friends online, and half a dozen dealers are calling me this morning, wanting pics and VIN's.

I just hate selling high dollar items here, you get the tirekickers, traders, no-shows and the worst ones; 'well what would you take today, right now CASH???'
I had a couple message me saying they buy and sell, but they had to make a buck too so I HAD to give them the best deal today. Wow. You aren't going to make money spinning my trucks, sorry.

CASH?? 'well, I was really hoping for gold bullion or chickens, maybe turnips or rare earth magnets, but I suppose I would look at cash.' Seriously? What do they think saying cash is going to do?

Salespeople drive me nuts.

Has anyone taken a vehicle to the States and traded it off? The Dealerships all say the same thing; they have a guy in the States that is looking for trucks RFN!!!

Why should we lost $5000-10,000 by delivering the truck to TEAM so they can drive it to the south side of the border?

I am seriously thinking about going South with it, our dollar sucks so there is a huge advantage. That is why the dealers here are loading semis south.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Ken have you tried D&D fleet in Camrose? I got a very good deal from them on my 08 3/4 Chev when I wanted to move it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Team ford is the worst-will never set foot in there again
Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Team ford is the worst-will never set foot in there again
SAME HERE.

I was very close to signing the papers on a new truck there a couple years back and overheard another sales guy bsing with co-worker and the words out of his mouth were “hopefully that idiot signs for the extended”
And that’s when I walked out.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
SAME HERE.

I was very close to signing the papers on a new truck there a couple years back and overheard another sales guy bsing with co-worker and the words out of his mouth were “hopefully that idiot signs for the extended”
And that’s when I walked out.
Wow, losers.

Same kind of bs when I was in GP looking for a Corvette. Snotty little feminine product holder wouldn't give me the time of day, was too busy polishing his own demo corvette.
I ended up buying mine from Leduc, was telling Tom (sales manager) about the little snot bag, IT WAS HIS SON!

He called him while I was in his office, gave him the what for on speaker phone.

Salesturds bother me.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM

I've been wondering the same thing Its pretty bad when they offer you HALF of price to comparable vehicles on THEIR used lot.

Like you said selling anything privately or online is just a pain. Offers for less than half of a fair asking price.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I've been wondering the same thing Its pretty bad when they offer you HALF of price to comparable vehicles on THEIR used lot.

Like you said selling anything privately or online is just a pain. Offers for less than half of a fair asking price.
What people don't get is that they provide a warranty that you don't get with a private sale.
So when joe blow buys a used vehicle from a lot with a warranty and two weeks later the tranny drops out of it...it's fixed.
So they make a lot of profit on what they sell to cover warranty repairs.
It's either bit the bullet and take what they offer...or deal with all the tire kickers on kiijiji.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
What people don't get is that they provide a warranty that you don't get with a private sale.
So when joe blow buys a used vehicle from a lot with a warranty and two weeks later the tranny drops out of it...it's fixed.
It's either bit the bullet and take what they offer...or deal with all the tire kickers on kiijiji.
Most dealers provide a short warranty on certain used vehicles. Some used vehicles still have remaining factory warranty, and even some dealers don't offer a free warranty on all used vehicles.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Yeah 30 days 50/50!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Had similar experience when asked Dodge ram dealer in Stoney what I would get on my Ram diesel. He said $2000, I replied you have just bought my Duratrac tires, now lets talk about the truck.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:05 AM

This is why I always used to buy 5 year old trucks and drive them till they puke. Unfortunately now 5 year old trucks are just about ready to implode on themselves. Things sure rant made like they used to be. I have inquired about trade ins in the past....it's a joke what they offer.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM

You can definitely make some real good bucks selling desirable pickups South of the line. They go for nearly the same U.S. as they sell for in Canadian dollars and you pick up 33% on the exchange. Your F-350 Lariat is advertised for around $30-35,000 U.S.. Advertise it down south on Autotrader's U.S. site or get a set price deal setup with someone before you head down. There is paperwork to do if you want to leave the truck in the States.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

Last edited by Dean2; 03-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You can definitely make some real good bucks selling desirable pickups South of the line. They go for nearly the same U.S. as they sell for in Canadian dollars and you pick up 33% on the exchange. Your F-350 Lariat is advertised for around $30-35,000 U.S.. Advertise it down south on Autotrader's U.S. site or get a set price deal setup with someone before you head down. There is paperwork to do if you want to leave the truck in the States.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
Thank you, I sent that link to a couple dealers telling me what my truck is worth, the stories are starting now. Too funny. "oh well they err umm" are they related to Trudeau?

Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM

A guy could make a pretty good living buying loaded, diesel, low mile Ford and Chev pickups here in Alberta and selling them into the states. With the two of us being retired maybe we should think about that.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-15-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM

If you are willing to take SOME risk, Ritchie Brothers Auctions. Ask if they will give a guaranteed minimum.

Make Sure that you leave lots of brochures in the truck outlining it is not Damaged - Repaired, ie carfax.

There are alot of US buyers at Ritchie Brothers who are picking up yellow iron and selling across the line. Another piece on the lowboy means nothing to them.

The heavy equipment guys know what these trucks are worth down south, so it should be no surprise that they will bid pretty hard to get a good truck to take home.

Drewski
Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
A guy could make a pretty good living buying loaded, diesel, low mile Ford and Chev pickups here in Alberta and selling them into the states. With the two of us being retired maybe we should think about that.
Guys have been doing this for years now, since 2015 when dollar shot down and patch died.

Bought a slip tank off a guy in 2016 who was moving oilfield trucks down south by the semi load weekly. He’d take off the toolboxes, slip tanks, wood box liners, decals, try and make them look as non-patch as possible then sell them for a good premium. Offered to buy the diesel I had at the time right there for cash (and it was a good price too).

Dealers have been sending most of their used inventory down south for a good while also.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Guys have been doing this for years now, since 2015 when dollar shot down and patch died.

Bought a slip tank off a guy in 2016 who was moving oilfield trucks down south by the semi load weekly. He’d take off the toolboxes, slip tanks, wood box liners, decals, try and make them look as non-patch as possible then sell them for a good premium. Offered to buy the diesel I had at the time right there for cash (and it was a good price too).

Dealers have been sending most of their used inventory down south for a good while also.
True, but has been going on for a lot longer than that. Back in the mid 70s, when the first oil shock hit Europe, a buddy and I were buying used sports cars in Italy, Germany, Spain and France. There was zero market or demand for them in Europe as gas quadrupled in price and these got poor mileage relative to other cars. We brought them back to Canada in container loads and re-sold them here for between 2 and 5 times what we bought them for. Have done the same over the years in the States, Germany etc depending on availability and exchange rates. Other than one personal car a few years ago haven't done any lately as I was far too busy at work. Now that I am retired, starting to think it might be time to take another run at it.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

CASH?? 'well, I was really hoping for gold bullion or chickens, maybe turnips or rare earth magnets, but I suppose I would look at cash.' Seriously? What do they think saying cash is going to do?
LOL iam going to use that when someone mention cash and lowest price i would take and what the lowest i would go...
Old 03-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Default Make a vacation out of it!

Quote:

Why should we lost $5000-10,000 by delivering the truck to TEAM so they can drive it to the south side of the border?

I am seriously thinking about going South with it, our dollar sucks so there is a huge advantage. That is why the dealers here are loading semis south.
Stop thinking about it and drive it south problem solved .
Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Stop thinking about it and drive it south problem solved .
Yeah, the timing is good. Warming up, just before boating.... dollar sucks. Might have to!

Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I have a 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 with under 100km, and a 2016 F150 Lariat with 51km. I was talking to my son about trading one or both off, the 1 ton because it has a sunroof that takes away valuable headroom, and the 1/2t because I never use it.
He recommended TEAM ford, and told a buddy there I was maybe looking to trade.

A day later I get a text from a salesperson asking about the trucks. I sent him pics and VIN's, got back a very excited 'WOW those are Mint! You will get HUGE money for them!!!
I asked him what HUGE money was for the 1 ton, he said 'HIGH TEENS!!!'

I said Pardon? (in my best The Champ voice)

That pretty much ended it with TEAM ford. No, actually, that ended it.
I was talking about it with friends online, and half a dozen dealers are calling me this morning, wanting pics and VIN's.

I just hate selling high dollar items here, you get the tirekickers, traders, no-shows and the worst ones; 'well what would you take today, right now CASH???'
I had a couple message me saying they buy and sell, but they had to make a buck too so I HAD to give them the best deal today. Wow. You aren't going to make money spinning my trucks, sorry.

Salespeople drive me nuts.

Has anyone taken a vehicle to the States and traded it off? The Dealerships all say the same thing; they have a guy in the States that is looking for trucks RFN!!!

You should get back to the dealer and tell them that you'll take the deal if it's paid in the face value of $50 bullion gold coins.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 PM

My nieghbour brought his 2010 f250 into Cam Clark ford in Airdrie to trade on a new car. It had 176000 km on it they offered him. $2000 bucks. He laughed at them and told the salesman” just for that I am going to buy a Toyota” he sold it privately for $16000. Then he bought a new RAV4. Screw the dealerships. They are scum.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Wanted to trade in my wife’s Toyota Sequoia Platinum. 8 years old with 180,000 in good shape with brand new tires. Dealer offers $13,000. I say that is pretty low, considering you have one on the lot, with 80,000km more and a year older for $26,000. Salesman says “well, we have to wash it and.....”
I say “....and what? A wash costs $13,000
Salesman says “ well, maybe an oil change too....”
I think we will keep it for now.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 AM

Good for you. That’s one industry that can go belly up for all I care. They would deserve every thing they get. Hope they starve. Sorry to rant but that’s what the those scum deserve.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Wanted to trade in my wife’s Toyota Sequoia Platinum. 8 years old with 180,000 in good shape with brand new tires. Dealer offers $13,000. I say that is pretty low, considering you have one on the lot, with 80,000km more and a year older for $26,000. Salesman says “well, we have to wash it and.....”
I say “....and what? A wash costs $13,000
Salesman says “ well, maybe an oil change too....”
I think we will keep it for now.
I mean to be fair, they probably are willing to deal $3-4 grand on that used Sequioa, and if you’re looking at trading in and going new, they can work your trade-in value a bit. Then of course they need to make a margin to make ir worth their while—they don’t operate for free.

Then you need to realize how often people trade-in their vehicles that are JUNK. I’ve known guys who have traded in trucks with bad headgaskets, electrical gremlins, fuel pumps on their way out, pooched fuel injectors. Dealers pretty much always assume if you’re trading in, you’re giving them a junker. If it wasn’t junk, you’d be able to sell it for full value on Kijiji.

Overall all though, we all have to realize dealers aren’t in the business of doing you a favour and have no obligation to buy your vehicle for what you might perceive as full value. Don’t like what they are offering, don’t gotta sell it. They offer the quick convenience of taking your vehicle off your hands but it comes at a cost.

Imagine some guy coming to your door offering to sell you a big tackle box of fishing gear worth $1000 and then having them call you an a-hole because you don’t really need it and said you’d give him $300 for it.

Not saying that there aren’t a ton of shady dealerships and scummy salesguys out there, but I don’t see why anyone gets upset.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Also, just wanted to say I don't mean to pick on you Immigrant or anyone else, just throwing some food for thought out there.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM

I drive mint shape beater trucks,,, I buy privately that saves me coin,,, then drive the wheels off them till they become autowrecker specials. Ha.

Both of my lumber wagons will fill our family needs for years to come,,, then I'll buy another used truck to cap off the Golden years.

Nothing like saving funds on things I already own.

A win win in my books

👍
Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Also, just wanted to say I don't mean to pick on you Immigrant or anyone else, just throwing some food for thought out there.
No worries jstubbs. No offence taken. I realize that dealerships aren’t charities. They need to pay staff, utilities, rent etc. I get that. But why be so greedy. They could have “washed” and parked that vehicle on the lot just like that. Even if they sold it at $20,000 they would have made $7000 profit on 1 sale. Plus sell me a new unit, upgraded tires, rims, command start etc. and make probably another $4000 on that sale. Total of $11,000 off one guy. I know many hours of work I have to put in to earn $11,000.....But instead they made nothing. And I walked away and will never go back. Why, because I felt he insulted my intelligence by trying to convince me a wash and an oil change is worth thousands of dollars. And yes, it’s a free country. If the price aint right, we can both walk away. And we did. No harm done other than hurt feelings. The trade was more a “nice to have” than a need. At the current $13,000 evaluation we will drive it till it quits.

Last edited by Immigrant; 03-19-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 AM

Said in jest.... sort of... have a gopher hunting derby and have the 2012 F350 Lariat 6.7 for first prize. 500 entries at 100 bucks each. First person to bring in 1000 fresh gopher tails wins a truck. Derby runs for 2 weeks. If no one brings in 1000 tails no one wins the truck. Closest to 1000 tails wins 5K. Then take the truck to the States.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets