Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM

Default 280 Rem Ballistics ?????

Hi to all, I'm shooting a T.C. Pro hunter in a 280 Rem. 28" barrel.I'm am using 150gr. Nosler Partition at this time but I am finding it harder and harder to find and the cost is getting up there.I was thinking of going with Hornady's 139 SST-M LM which I can purchase at S.I.R or WSS. at a better value and more easily purchased .Acording to some of the hunting mags. I've read they claim I can get 2612 pds. of energie at 100yrds. not too shaby if its correct. Now I realize this was tested with a 24' barrel . How does this compare to a 28" barrel? would the energie at 100yrds change all that much ? Does anybody have any experience with these Hornady's Good or bad I would appreciate your input. ( how they hold together, mushrooming at impact, etc... ) thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Default 280

You will most likely gain some velocity, as well as energy having a 28" barrell, impossible to say how much without a chrono.I have shot the sst bullets , they are extremely accurate ,but a little fragile for my likeing. I would recomend either the hornady interbond or nosler accubond, more expensive but , a far superior bullet.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM

If you know anyone who handloads there are some great choices for you to try.I have always had good results with hornady interlock bullets....my .280 loves the 154 grain offering.I've never tried the sst but have seen a few guys use them....some love them some not so much.I have recently switched to nosler partitions in 140 grains, great bullet and have achieved some impressive results on a few big bodied bucks this year.I'm not sure what hornady offers in factory loads but i would not be scared to try any of them...specially interlocks or interbonds.Best of luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM

Default 280 ammo

you should pick up between 30 -50 fps per inch of barrel length. Once you have that you can do the math to figure out the energy gain. My 280's shot 140 gr Noslers, both partitions and accubonds really well. With the longer barrel you could step up to the 160 gr offerings and give them a try, you might like what you find. They were my go to bullet, flew well over the longer distances and did a great job on quite a few deer and 1/2 dozen elk. I had a problem with some Hornady bullets blowing apart and switched to Noslers.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM

The only way to tell for sure is to chronograph your rifle.

Differences in chamber and bore dimensions makes providing a pat answer akin to reading chicken entrails.

FWIW: any gains of 100fps or less in muzzle velocity amount to nary a hill of beans difference in trajectory and on targey energy.

Practice with the loading of your choice, and become familiar with how it performs at different ranges. That's even after chronographing it.

The 280 regardless of loading is a good caliber, and should provide you with ample energy and falt enough trajectory to take all N. American big game to ranges typically refered to as normal (big bears excluded)

Now go forth and practice lots.

There are no absolutes