Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Default wipe-out patch-out

got a bottle of this in my stocking this year..anyone ever use it?? opinions??
Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Yup, I use it and really like it.
I do not use it on a regular basis however, only when I need to realy clean out a rifle.

One thing I would suggest is to take the action out of the stock so the finish doesn't get wrecked!

Cat
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM

It's all I ever use now, it's just to easy.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM

I really like it. Run a wet patch through, run a brush in and out, let it sit for a half hour, then run dry patches through 'til they're clean. It really works well, the first time you use it, you'll be surprised how much you were missing before. Good product. Eric
Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 PM

cool, thanks guys.

i know this is going to be taboo for many, most or all of you..haha...but anyone use it with a boresnake??
Old 12-27-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
cool, thanks guys.

i know this is going to be taboo for many, most or all of you..haha...but anyone use it with a boresnake??
???!!

one piece rod and bore guide good - boresnake BAD!!
Cat
Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
got a bottle of this in my stocking this year..anyone ever use it?? opinions??
Love it...and no bore snake for this fella either
Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 AM

In my opinion a boresnake is a field tool, only to be used if necessary. One piece rod with a bore guide otherwise.

Don't be scared to leave the wipeout in overnight if you have a really dirty/fouled barrel.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Boresnakes are GREAT!!! They damage more rifle barrels than any other manner to clean a firearm, which keeps me very busy.
I would rather sandblast my Johnson than use a boresnake in any gun I own.
As for WipeOut or PatchOut, I have yet to find a better cleaning product. Great stuff, but as Cat mentioned it can be harmful to some wood finishes, use with care or strip the stock off the gun before use.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 12-28-2008, 08:03 AM
2430M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
I would rather sandblast my Johnson than use a boresnake in any gun I own.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Tactical Rifle View Post
Boresnakes are GREAT!!! They damage more rifle barrels than any other manner to clean a firearm, which keeps me very busy.
Care to elaborate...... Is it the tool itself or the way that it is used?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM

SD, the boresnake rubs against the crown on the way out, not a good thing.
Also, unless it is washed out each time it is used, junk and crap gathers in it and that goes into the barrel.
I have heard of numerous accounts of people actually getting the danged things either stuck or breaking them off as well!
I do use them for my shotguns however, but that is a different kettle of fish.
Cat
Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Care to elaborate...... Is it the tool itself or the way that it is used?
In the last 2 years we have had no less than 7 guys who Boresnakes break inside the barrel, despite proper snake for caliber. In 5 of these it was impossible to get the broken parts out so rebarrelling was required. Bear in mind we are speaking of 1 small shop, I am sure every gunsmith in the country has had some similar experience, so the numbers are far higher than just the few I have direct experience with.

In all fairness the not being able to remove the broken bits were compounded by the guys trying to drive them out on their own, which did not help things and contributed to the need of rebarrelling.

The 2nd issue is that with a dirty patch that costs a few pennies, you throw them away when they are dirty, Boresnakes retain the solvents and oils used for cleaning, the oil then retains and attracts grit and dust from the the area they are used in, as well as the copper and carbon you are getting out of the barrel. Typically on the bench at the range is where I see them used, they are exposed to fine sand and grit from the surrounding environment. Then guys will just put them into their range box, whuich is typically less than surgically clean. Due to the cost they do not use 1 time and discard.

Try and imagine a Boresnake, now coated with dust, copper fragments, oils and carbon fouling being pulled through a barrel, not only does the precious rifling get abrased but then the crown and throat gets eroded by this piece of crud impregnated abrasive rope not being pulled 100% straight through the bore.

I will stick with a clean coated rod and cheap disposable patches with my rifles thankyou.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 12-28-2008, 12:36 PM

while i can see and agree with your points...especially the breaking. i am one of the guys that washes his bore snake every time...and i am not sure how much damage or even how much of a crown my old cheapy .22 has haha. if and when i ever get a real rifle....then i will change...but for now...i am ok with it.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Wipe out Patches, I've never used them. I've only used the Wipe Out Foam.
As already stated, Wipe Out really works well and it isn't needed every time you clean your rifle. Well, that depends on how often you clean I guess! I run a patch dampened with Butch's Bore Shine down the barrles of my rifles every 20 - 30 rounds. Butch's works well for me when I stick to the "20 - 30 shots then clean" routine. Wipe Out is used usually initially only on any used toys I aquire or on my varmint guns after a day of gopher control.
If the patches are anything like the the foam, I'm sure you'll be happy with them.