Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 02:14 PM

I have used my 30-06 with 180 gr. pills. I think they all will work within there limits . Use what is most comfortable and go hunting, is what I have always been told. My problem is I get easily distracted and curious with everybody else guns. So I have to try them out. I never win.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post
Because he said he wanted another rifle in a little bigger caliber that he could use for elk and possibly even bigger or dangerous game someday. Doesn't sound like he's looking for a change, but a second good hunting rifle. Hunting elk is a plenty good reason to buy another rifle
Got a great deal on a new Weatherby lazerguard yesterday in 300WBY mag. I'm a sucker for pretty rifles and this is no exception, hope it's a good shooter. I know the cartridge has good capabilities and ammo is expensive, but due to the large recoil (only warned, haven't shot one yet) I won't be shooting it that much anyway. Can't ever have too many guns now can we?!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:06 PM

That's a good choice of rifle and cartridge. Just make sure you use good quality bullets. I used Nosler Partitions in 3 of my 300 Weatherby guns. My current one likes Barnes TTSX.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I have used my 30-06 with 180 gr. pills. I think they all will work within there limits . Use what is most comfortable and go hunting, is what I have always been told. My problem is I get easily distracted and curious with everybody else guns. So I have to try them out. I never win.
The 10th commandment is not specific in mentioning coveting firearms so I think it is OK
Old 02-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Got a great deal on a new Weatherby lazerguard yesterday in 300WBY mag. I'm a sucker for pretty rifles and this is no exception, hope it's a good shooter. I know the cartridge has good capabilities and ammo is expensive, but due to the large recoil (only warned, haven't shot one yet) I won't be shooting it that much anyway. Can't ever have too many guns now can we?!
The shape of the Weatherby stock will lessen felt recoil a lot. No need to worry about it at all...
Old 02-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Got a great deal on a new Weatherby lazerguard yesterday in 300WBY mag. I'm a sucker for pretty rifles and this is no exception, hope it's a good shooter...
Most of them are - Good Shooters that is.

Although this choice does have a fair recoil, the stock design, and being aware, both help with that. If you manage to find it unbearable, there is always an after-market muzzle brake consideration, or worst case find it a new home...

As per your original inquiry regarding favorite elk calibers, I prefer the 300 Weatherby myself. Although I have shot them with a 270, 30-06 and one or two others, the 300 WeeBee continues to be my first and foremost choice. Of the twenty-nine I have taken thus far, probably 23 or 24 fell to the same particular Mark V (German production early '70's).

I've always run 180 grain Nosler Partitions through it, with either 82 grains of 4831 or 84.5 grains of 7828 behind them. Of course work up lower and find just what your particular rifle wants.

Every elk it has taken has pretty much been Bang Flop. With damn few exceptions, near or far the results are generally the same.

Methinks you will Like!

Finally, there is NO Such Thing as "too many guns"!!

Cheers & Welcome to The Club...
Nog
Old 02-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I'd say you're in it to win it... enjoy your new rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Yep, that'll work! If you can shoot it well, I don't think anyone would say that isn't good for anything in North America. Let us know how she shoots . Now you've got a great excuse to set up for reloading. If you're shooting 300 wby, you can get your money back pdq.

Damn it, now I want a new rifle

Congrats, btw - I love stories with a happy ending...
Old 02-20-2017, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words gents. I love the looks and feel of it so far, damn it's a gorgeous piece of wood. Now hopefully tomorrow I can manage to sneak out and get a few pieces of lead downrange...

I will for sure let you all know how she shoots!

And yes, at $85/box of 20, this baby is going to get me into reloading. Now there is a whole new world for me...
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I'd say practice with it as much as anything else... you owe it to the animal you are hunting. To.many variables out in the field that you won't experience on the bench.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
That'll wack'em real good!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words gents. I love the looks and feel of it so far, damn it's a gorgeous piece of wood. Now hopefully tomorrow I can manage to sneak out and get a few pieces of lead downrange...

I will for sure let you all know how she shoots!

And yes, at $85/box of 20, this baby is going to get me into reloading. Now there is a whole new world for me...
Of all the Weatherby cartridges the 300 Bee is the cheapest to load for.
Before the dollar dropped off 50 Bee brass was only 10 bucks more then 300 win brass. Just need to keep your eyes peeled and scoop up a deal if it comes along.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 AM

My 7mm rem mag with a 139gr GMX did good work on a cow elk this year. Tons of blood and a dead elk 50yds away.

The 30-06 we used the previous day with 180gr Winchester soft points didn't do so good. It was a really nice shot, lots of blood coming out as the elk ran, we watched it lay down so we went to the truck and 15 mins later the elk was still alive.

Not sure what happened but the bullet hit a lung and exited.