Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 05:16 PM

Default Sako S20 in 30-06 or 7mm

I do apologize if this was posted earlier but did not scroll through all of the pages to check.

However, I was looking into some of the S20 that are up for sale. Recently (throughout the last year or so) I've seen that there are quite the few of them for sale. Generally gun looks good and the idea in general is good as well. I was and still am proud owner of Sako and Tikka's for almost 20 years. S20 was the only model since 75 that is not in my possession.
Long story short what are everyone opinion of this particular model and if you could share some pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:24 PM

I have one in 6.5PRC…….pros - ergonomically comfortable to shoot, accurate as heck, obviously nice action. Cons - let’s get real, they’re fairly ugly, not a rifle you’re going to strap on the pack. That’s about all I got, I like it but it’ll never be even close my go to, I’ll likely never hunt with it, my son does though.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:39 PM

A friend of mine bought a S20 300wm a couple years ago when first released…he loves it!! Beautiful rifle …fit and feel is great in my hands…I want one !! 6.5 CM maybe. My friend gave his T3 camo 270wsm to his son.

All I have are m75 Sakos so a new model might be in order for the collection. I see now Sako has a few new versions of the S20. A Roughtech Pro or Camo version I would like to see in person.

Maybe look at the new Sako 90 rifle.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:40 AM

Of the 2 calibers you mentioned, since I am not a 7mm RM fan I would go 30-06
Old 11-19-2023, 09:27 PM

I have one in 308, I like it,the stock is great except for its cheap plastic finish, even plastic stocks can have a nicer finish than that. It's not light, which I like. 8 pounds? Around there I think. When I first got it I had to tug back on the bolt a bit to pull out a spent round but that issue is gone now. Nice 2 stage trigger, five round mag feeds good. I have the 20 inch barrel and put a sako brake on which looks and works good and was pretty cheap, 90 dollars I think
Old 11-20-2023, 09:50 AM

I have one in 6.5 CM and its awesome, tack driver as it should be but a tad heavy. I dont care though as it has a longer havier fluted barrel and isnt pencil thin.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:50 AM

Perfectly balanced though
Old 11-20-2023, 11:02 AM

If you already have a bunch of 7mm bullets ,brass then I would go 7mm .
If you have no components is 30/06 components cheaper or more available? If so go 30/06
30/06 is great round and a lot of people don't realise its a great cast bullet gun so with today's prices and availability problems cast bullet s might be a great option down the road.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daka View Post
I do apologize if this was posted earlier but did not scroll through all of the pages to check.

However, I was looking into some of the S20 that are up for sale. Recently (throughout the last year or so) I've seen that there are quite the few of them for sale. Generally gun looks good and the idea in general is good as well. I was and still am proud owner of Sako and Tikka's for almost 20 years. S20 was the only model since 75 that is not in my possession.
Long story short what are everyone opinion of this particular model and if you could share some pros and cons it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead.
I have owned a 7MM S20 since early spring.

Pros:
*Accurate at the range
*Ergonomically the best rifle I've ever shouldered
*Low recoil, even for a 7MM (also a con because the mass of the rifle helps here)
*Nice smooth action

Cons:
*Heavy/cumbersome to hunt with - true of most 7MMs though. This model has a 24" barrel and I'd say my Browning 26" is comparable in mass
*Adjustable stock piece is cheap plastic - mine broke and while it was covered via warranty I did have to pay shipping

If you are used to carrying a longer barreled rifle or a heavy stock, or are fit, you will love this rifle in a hunting setting. If you are used to a lightweight rifle, there will be an adjustment period or you may not want to jump into this one.

They don't get big by being dumb.