Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Are The 20 cal Rifles Sill Popular

It's 15 years since Ruger brought out their 204. Several other 20 cal versions followed.
The 204 quickly gained popularity for its 4000+ velocity, low recoil and low muzzle blast.
I resisted the urge to jump into a 20 cal rifle. My thinking was that I had a super accurate 223 Rem so why buy yet another varminter. In hindsight maybe I was too rash in my judgement. I just finished reading a number of technical discussions and it seems that the 20 cal will outperform the 223 in most, and perhaps in all situations.
Most of my varminting is shooting prairie dogs in Montana. After a shot or two there are no pd to be seen under 300 yds. The 223 with 50 or 55 gn bullets are good to about 350 yds. Then, it's time to pull out the 22-250 and then the 6 mm cal rifles.
Maybe I should add a 20 cal varminter that would not replace the 223 but supplement it. When the shooting gets hot and heavy it becomes a must to allow a rifle to cool and pull out another. Ah, such fun!!!
And of course there is the question of which 20 cal be it 204 Ruger, 20 preactical, 20 tactical and others.
Bill
I'm anxious to hear what experiences and recommendations AO members can share with me and fellow varminter b