Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
This is how it looked when I received it in the early seventies. When I was a kid I shot factory KKSP bullets and they worked perfect, but of course they are long gone. With a 1 in 14 twist it would not stabilize 100 gr bullets very well. Groups with hand loaded Speer were decent, but again not using 100 gr bullets.

I had it re-barreled with a Smith gain twist 1 in 10 cut to exact contour. It shot awesome but unfortunately my daughter that I was holding it for has absolutely no interest in shooting or hunting.

She is a very gifted guitar player however and had her heart set on a quality classic instrument. As if guided from above, along came an awesome gentleman with a minty American made Gibson J-45 with his heart set on a vintage 99.

Long story long, he sent me the J-45 and insisted she play it while I considered his straight trade offer. Crazy like a fox, the guitar sounds like it is being played by angels in her little hands and the 99 is off to hopefully make memories for another 100 years. Under win/win in the dictionary I think you would find this transaction. I only miss the 99 about 1/100th of the amount she loves the Gibson and when she is playing it I don't miss it at all.

Your a good Dad.... That rifle is a beauty tough to give up, but your doing what makes her happy . That's pretty cool.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 AM

My first big game rifle was a Savage 99. I still own it and it is a fantastic rifle.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Many of the manufacturing methods used by Savage, are used in order to be able to build their rifles at a lower cost. Many other companies are now doing the same thing, the new Remington 783 actually uses some of the same design features as Savage. Tikka chooses to reduce costs by using synthetic magazines, CZ now has synthetic floorplates on some models, to cut costs. Howa(Weatherby Vanguard) is one of the few companies that still makes a lower priced rifle with mostly machined parts, and a minimum of plastic.

The end result, is that the lower priced rifle market is very competitive these days. Many people will be very happy with any of these lower priced rifles, but that doesn't change the fact, that all of these rifles are built the way that they are to reduce costs, and that if you want a rifle that is built to higher standards, with less compromises made to reduce costs, you are going to have to spend more. How much you are prepared to spend, and what features you demand in a rifle are up to you.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM

The thing I hate about the Tikkas is they cut costs by going to plastic mags and bottom metal....but they charge an arm and a leg for replacement plastic mags!!!

.....ironic that they cut costs in manufacturing by using plastic yet charge a premium for plastic replacements.

LC
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
The thing I hate about the Tikkas is they cut costs by going to plastic mags and bottom metal....but they charge an arm and a leg for replacement plastic mags!!!

.....ironic that they cut costs in manufacturing by using plastic yet charge a premium for plastic replacements.
The plastic Tikka magazines might seem expensive, but they are much lower priced that the metal Sako magazines.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
My first big game rifle was a Savage 99. I still own it and it is a fantastic rifle.
X2, would not part with for anything.