Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 10:30 PM

Default Best Skinning Knife for $200

Grohmann, you don’t need to keep on sharpening every now and then. I also like Outdoor Edge Knives and you can buy a set for around $40.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat93 View Post
Grohmann, you don’t need to keep on sharpening every now and then. I also like Outdoor Edge Knives and you can buy a set for around $40.
I can’t believe no one has asked Clint to make a version of a Grohmann. Bet it would be nice. They are nice knives, but after having a stainless Grohmann, I’d want the carbon steel version.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I can’t believe no one has asked Clint to make a version of a Grohmann. Bet it would be nice. They are nice knives, but after having a stainless Grohmann, I’d want the carbon steel version.
It would be a sweet knife for someone to order. The only bad thing about the knife I ordered from Clint is every single knife I look at now I think wow that would be awesome if Clint made a version of this for me. HAHA

I love my hunting knife from him but I am really looking at an all around knife that I can just clip on my belt every single time that I go out into the bush. I'm just not really sure exactly what style I want yet.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I have been considering having a small canadian belt knife pattern made with full flat grind and secondary bevel...something like 2.5" blade...skinning beavers, coyotes and the like... but then again that pattern you had made in a 3.5" length would be fantastic too.....
Old 01-09-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
It would be a sweet knife for someone to order. The only bad thing about the knife I ordered from Clint is every single knife I look at now I think wow that would be awesome if Clint made a version of this for me. HAHA

I love my hunting knife from him but I am really looking at an all around knife that I can just clip on my belt every single time that I go out into the bush. I'm just not really sure exactly what style I want yet.

Lol..a one knife to do it all is pretty hard to find..welcome to the obsession lol
Old 01-10-2024, 05:52 PM

So awhile back, I decided to design a short general purpose hunting knife, as some outdoors people prefer them over longer blades.

So this is made out of CPM Magnacut. I just got it back from heat treat, and it is hardened at HRC 63.

The cutting edge is approximately 2 3/4" long, the width is about 1 1/8", and thickness is 3/32". Overall length as per the pic.

Thought I would share...

Old 01-10-2024, 06:42 PM

He does very nice work guy’s! He has done 4 knives for me and my son, and friends. Great to business with, always willing to Listen and give his comments! A+++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
So awhile back, I decided to design a short general purpose hunting knife, as some outdoors people prefer them over longer blades.

So this is made out of CPM Magnacut. I just got it back from heat treat, and it is hardened at HRC 63.

The cutting edge is approximately 2 3/4" long, the width is about 1 1/8", and thickness is 3/32". Overall length as per the pic.

Thought I would share...

Old 01-10-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Lol..a one knife to do it all is pretty hard to find..welcome to the obsession lol
I completely agree with you there. I am more or less looking for a fixed blade that I can wear to use for things such as cutting rope, peeling bark for making a fire, maybe some food prep for camping.

I was wondering if something like the Benchmade Bushcrafter would be good for something like that. What do you all think?
Old 01-10-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with you there. I am more or less looking for a fixed blade that I can wear to use for things such as cutting rope, peeling bark for making a fire, maybe some food prep for camping.

I was wondering if something like the Benchmade Bushcrafter would be good for something like that. What do you all think?
Have Clint make you one of these up in Magnacut. Walk in the park for him.

https://houseofknives.ca/benchmade-s...shcrafter-162/

Nice knife, btw.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Have Clint make you one of these up in Magnacut. Walk in the park for him.

https://houseofknives.ca/benchmade-s...shcrafter-162/

Nice knife, btw.
That is kind of what I am thinking. I look at it as a knife that I could just use as a workhorse while I am out and about. I may need to email Clint again soon. LOL
Old 01-10-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:

https://www.bladescanada.com/Cold-St...-Sheath-36LPCM

The sheath kind of mediocre, but it is a great knife. Unless you are looking for something larger.
Old 01-11-2024, 11:46 AM

Just finished this one.

It is a semi skinner type blade. CPM Magnacut heat treated to HRC62. Cutting edge is approximately 3" long. Sharpened at 17 degrees.

Handle is Dymalux (Southwest pattern). Main colors are Reddish Brown, Dark Green, and Beige. Finished with brass pins.

Will be in the Buy and Sell soon...

Old 01-11-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That is kind of what I am thinking. I look at it as a knife that I could just use as a workhorse while I am out and about. I may need to email Clint again soon. LOL
I know its not a custom but i have a BPS bushcrafter from amazon that i paid like $40 for a number of years ago that has become my absolute go to for all things bushcraft/ camp.. mine is in carbon steel and i keep a true scandi grind on it( no secondary bevel at all) its a fantasic knife with a really well built leather sheath.Great value knife! I keep a small flat 400 diamond card with a ceramic back that keeps the scandi honed to a razor.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I know its not a custom but i have a BPS bushcrafter from amazon that i paid like $40 for a number of years ago that has become my absolute go to for all things bushcraft/ camp.. mine is in carbon steel and i keep a true scandi grind on it( no secondary bevel at all) its a fantasic knife with a really well built leather sheath.Great value knife! I keep a small flat 400 diamond card with a ceramic back that keeps the scandi honed to a razor.

Do you have a link to the exact knife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link to the exact knife?

BPS Knives HK1 CSH - Utility Knife - Fixed-Blade Outdoor Knife - Camping Bushcraft Knife With Leather Sheath - Carbon Steel Full-Tang Fixed Blade Knife https://a.co/d/boBqmGD

Pretty sure this is the one. They do have slightly different blade profiles as well.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:44 PM

^ I think both, that ^ knife and the Benchmade offered earlier, won’t do anything (reasonable) that the one Dom got from Chisan won’t do. So I, personally, do not see a point besides having another knife. The Chisan is essentially different but the same knife that can perform the same function. I think the Cold Steel I offered as an option makes sense because it is different and a very capable little knife (from personal experience) (edit: just to note, the steel is CPM 3V in the link I provided, but it comes in other steels that shouldn’t be considered). I’d use the Chisan for everything if looking at the other two options.

Another neat knife, considering cooking is one of the tasks, is Benchmade Raghorn in Cruwear steel (also comes in S30 or 35VN, maybe others, but I wouldn’t consider those for the tasks specified), but it is a more expensive option compared to the other offering. Such as this one: https://www.reliablegun.com/en/bench...ferro-rod-loop

Great looking knife there Phil!

Last edited by fishnguy; 01-11-2024 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ I think both, that ^ knife and the Benchmade offered earlier, won’t do anything (reasonable) that the one Dom got from Chisan won’t do. So I, personally, do not see a point besides having another knife. The Chisan is essentially different but the same knife that can perform the same function. I think the Cold Steel I offered as an option makes sense because it is different and a very capable little knife (from personal experience) (edit: just to note, the steel is CPM 3V in the link I provided, but it comes in other steels that shouldn’t be considered). I’d use the Chisan for everything if looking at the other two options.

Another neat knife, considering cooking is one of the tasks, is Benchmade Raghorn in Cruwear steel (also comes in S30 or 35VN, maybe others, but I wouldn’t consider those for the tasks specified), but it is a more expensive option compared to the other offering. Such as this one: https://www.reliablegun.com/en/bench...ferro-rod-loop

OK OK. I understand but you didn't have to be so realistic.... There's always a reason for another knife isn't there?!

Maybe I should just use the one I have now like you said because it is a pretty nice little unit and it shows lots of pride. I love when people ask "that knife looks great! Where did you get it?"
Old 01-13-2024, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

I get your perspective but i view a camp.knife a bit different than a hunting knife. Battoning, striking a ferro rod, carving/ whittling ect put different requirements on a blade than skinning/ breaking down an animal. Scandi grind is ideal for this kind of work. Its not about the blade shape but grind imo. I wouldn't batton my Chisan through a chunk of wood or carve out a set of tent stakes or feather a stick for starting a fire because it grind is not ideal for that task. If we are just talking about slicing your sausage and cheese i totally agree that what he has is all he needs...when im camping/ bushcraftling/ quadding/ hiking/trapping i generally use my blade harder than skinning and gutting...i totally agree that the blade shape/ design of Dom4s custom is about ideal for bushcraft jobs i would say the grind is not and there is chance of edge damage simply because of geometry. Plus im all about enabling people to spend money on great knives.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I get your perspective but i view a camp.knife a bit different than a hunting knife. Battoning, striking a ferro rod, carving/ whittling ect put different requirements on a blade than skinning/ breaking down an animal. Scandi grind is ideal for this kind of work. Its not about the blade shape but grind imo. I wouldn't batton my Chisan through a chunk of wood or carve out a set of tent stakes or feather a stick for starting a fire because it grind is not ideal for that task. If we are just talking about slicing your sausage and cheese i totally agree that what he has is all he needs...when im camping/ bushcraftling/ quadding/ hiking/trapping i generally use my blade harder than skinning and gutting...i totally agree that the blade shape/ design of Dom4s custom is about ideal for bushcraft jobs i would say the grind is not and there is chance of edge damage simply because of geometry. Plus im all about enabling people to spend money on great knives.
This is good advice right here. You start hacking and whacking with that skinning knife and your gonna mess up that edge.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
This is good advice right here. You start hacking and whacking with that skinning knife and your gonna mess up that edge.
I am sort of leaning towards the custom Chisan like the Benchmade style. I just don't really know if I should go with a standard grind or if I should get it made as a scandi so that it can get used for a little bit more tough work and I don't have to feel bad using it for that. It would still be tough using a Chisan knife to hit a ferro rod though. HAHA

I am probably leaning towards a hollow grind but I am curious to know what you guys think for that one. I think it might be a little bit more useful for me but that is just what I am thinking.

Last edited by Dom4; 01-13-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I am sort of leaning towards the custom Chisan like the Benchmade style. I just don't really know if I should go with a standard grind or if I should get it made as a scandi so that it can get used for a little bit more tough work and I don't have to feel bad using it for that. It would still be tough using a Chisan knife to hit a ferro rod though. HAHA

I am probably leaning towards a hollow grind but I am curious to know what you guys think for that one. I think it might be a little bit more useful for me but that is just what I am thinking.
That is the last grind I would want on a bushcraft knife.

Knife grinds explained…

https://agrussell.com/knife-articles/blade-grinds
Old 01-13-2024, 10:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That is the last grind I would want on a bushcraft knife.

Knife grinds explained…

https://agrussell.com/knife-articles/blade-grinds
Scandi grind is good for jobs where an edge is abused (like chopping etc) and you need to sharpen without a jig and use the bevel itself as a guide, but for primarily being a skinning/cutting knife it is definitely not a superior edge. I actually have a knife with chisel grind I like a lot and would do something like that if it needed to do double duty over a scandi grind.

For something exclusively for chopping like a machete I would go convex bevel for strength 100%.

That said, if I am making a knife for me personally, hollow grind would be my choice for something primarily used for slicing/skinning with flat grind being a close second.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-13-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Scandi grind is good for jobs where an edge is abused (like chopping etc) and you need to sharpen without a jig and use the bevel itself as a guide, but for primarily being a skinning/cutting knife it is definitely not a superior edge. I actually have a knife with chisel grind I like a lot and would do something like that if it needed to do double duty over a scandi grind.

That said, if I am making a knife for me personally, hollow grind 100% would be my choice for something primarily used for slicing/skinning with flat grind being a close second.
For what Dom is wanting, scandi is the way to go methinks. He’s got a gorgeous new skinning knife.
Old 01-13-2024, 10:56 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
For what Dom is wanting, scandi is the way to go methinks. He’s got a gorgeous new skinning knife.
Ha! You got a quote in before my ninja edits... lol!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-13-2024, 12:15 PM

I’d be willing to bet that the lions share of those knives coming from Clint’s shop are headed to AO or 24hr Campfire members Should be interesting to see if some pics show up in the next couple weeks. He’s a busy guy. So easy to deal with.

Last edited by sns2; 01-13-2024 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
100 percent agree. Make sure you get a good sharp 90deg spine for throwing big sparks off that farro rod! Run a true scandi its by far the best grind for all things wood and rough use and easiest to maintain in the field with a flat stone or diamond. Depending on what kinds of things you do add in things like a tang spur that can be used for prying ( like on leg holds and such)
Old 01-13-2024, 12:36 PM

Also ad a dangler to whatever sheath you use.. for a working knife while moving around its much nicer tha having it fixed on your belt. Good thing is you can wear it either way!
Old 01-13-2024, 01:37 PM

Ok thank you for the advice guys. I’ll lean towards the Scandi grind then with a 90 degree spine for the Ferro rod. I’ll send Clint an email and see what kind of sketch we can work up.
I also second. SNS2 that Clint is an absolute pleasure to work with.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you for the advice guys. I’ll lean towards the Scandi grind then with a 90 degree spine for the Ferro rod. I’ll send Clint an email and see what kind of sketch we can work up.
I also second. SNS2 that Clint is an absolute pleasure to work with.

Also would you guys go with Magna cut again or would you go with a softer steel for something like this particular knife?

Old 01-13-2024, 07:48 PM

I would probably choose magnacut but... i sure do love the patnia on a good carbon steel camp blade

Last edited by obsessed1; 01-13-2024 at 08:02 PM.