Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 AM

Default BHA Alberta Chapter

I have heard rumblings of a BHA chapter in starting up in Alberta.
I am really keen to become a member does anyone know who to contact? The website has a section for BC but nothing in Alberta yet.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:21 AM

What is BHA??
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:30 AM

Back country Hunters and Anglers I believe. They protect access to public lands for all uses.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
What is BHA??
Back country hunters and anglers as 6mm rem said.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 AM

Thanks
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
Back country Hunters and Anglers I believe. They protect access to public lands for all uses.
For all uses, that is rediculous...so what you fly over and take a picture...oops wait the airplane might cast a shadow and upset the breeding grounds of the great Canadian hairy tortoise

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
For all uses, that is rediculous...so what you fly over and take a picture...oops wait the airplane might cast a shadow and upset the breeding grounds of the great Canadian hairy tortoise
Sounds like you're confused. They have a website if you want to inform yourself. They want to keep access available for hunters, anglers ,hikers etc..
Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Banned

BHA? Is there no end to the # of organizations that are out there. You'd think some would join together to have a stronger voice.
Just let me know where to send my money.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
I have heard rumblings of a BHA chapter in starting up in Alberta.
I am really keen to become a member does anyone know who to contact? The website has a section for BC but nothing in Alberta yet.
Yes, an Alberta chapter is in the process of being formed. Presently, you join through the Montana HQ:
http://www.backcountryhunters.org/
Once the chapter is official, it will be pretty autonomous with funding remaining in the province to pursue local projects and events.
The organization is all about protecting wildlands for quality hunting and fishing opportunities. The chapter has made a submission to the Castle parks planners demonstrating that many hunters and anglers appreciate the hunting opportunities that will be possible in the new parks.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM

That is awesome, I was just looking into joining last week when I saw no Alberta chapter, was gonna write them an email about that but I guess no need now. Really good organization, the kind of which we are in need under the current regime.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Yes, an Alberta chapter is in the process of being formed. Presently, you join through the Montana HQ:
Once the chapter is official, it will be pretty autonomous with funding remaining in the province to pursue local projects and events.
The organization is all about protecting wildlands for quality hunting and fishing opportunities. The chapter has made a submission to the Castle parks planners demonstrating that many hunters and anglers appreciate the hunting opportunities that will be possible in the new parks.
Thanks Don

I am really excited about this!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
That is awesome, I was just looking into joining last week when I saw no Alberta chapter, was gonna write them an email about that but I guess no need now. Really good organization, the kind of which we are in need under the current regime.
Great minds think alike, I was going to email the BC chapter a couple of months ago to ask what it would take to get a AB chapter going, got busy at work and my ADD brain filed it in the procrastination folder.

I started to hear rumblings about it coming down the pipe a few weeks ago.

And would like to contribute in any way that I can to see it become a success.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Think you have the wrong idea there Charlie, are you thinking of Y2Y?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:

What is the BHA's stance on Grizzly hunting? Since they are closely associated with Y2Y, and Y2Y are over the top about Grizzly conservation I don't think supporting BHA will help us see a Grizzly hunt here again.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 PM

I don't think they have a particular stance on grizzly hunting, except it should be done in a quality manner when numbers warrant. See their mission and values statement. So far the Alberta chapter has no stance but I would assume it would be the same.

With regard to being "closely associated with Y2Y," BHA supports Y2Y because they have similar goals in wanting to see large tracts of wilderness to support large populations of all wildlife. And if being "over the top" on grizzly bear conservation means ensuring we will always have bears to see and maybe even hunt, then Y2Y has my vote. See FAQs about who they are.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:31 PM

I wonder what their stance is on motorized vehicles ie: using quads and jet boats to access wilderness areas?
I took a look at their site but didn't see it
Cat
Old 04-13-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I wonder what their stance is on motorized vehicles ie: using quads and jet boats to access wilderness areas?
Cat

Sounds like reduced access in general is their goal.

Stephen Legault, program director for Yellowstone to Yukon (Y2Y)

said " it’s good to see a commitment from the government to lower the acceptable thresholds for the concentration of roads open to public motorized access.
“What we’re seeing is a commitment to lowering the acceptable road density to allow for broader conservation opportunities,” he said.
“The main thing that kills grizzly bears in Alberta is access, and anytime we’re reducing access to core grizzly bear habitat, we’re making progress.”"
Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Cat

Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Cat
Responsible Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Use and Management
Hunters and anglers know that the hike in is usually worth the pack out. Consequently, it’s imperative that motorized vehicle use is balanced with maintaining habitat and non-motorized recreational opportunities. Sportsmen are acutely aware of how illegal off-highway vehicle abuse scars the land, pollutes water, spreads invasive weeds, displaces wildlife and violates the solitude of the backcountry. BHA supports reasonable regulations – and swift enforcement – that encourage responsible OHV use while addressing the needs of fish and wildlife, the security of their habitat and quality hunting and fishing experiences for the general public.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/public_lands

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Good idea, but do we really need the Americans to show us the way ? Canadians will just be just another filing cabinet in their office. Besides all the political and cultural differences,they can't help but put their own priorities first, much like similar organizations, thinking of the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation here.

Grizz
Old 04-21-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Good idea, but do we really need the Americans to show us the way ? Canadians will just be just another filing cabinet in their office. Besides all the political and cultural differences,they can't help but put their own priorities first, much like similar organizations, thinking of the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation here.

Grizz
Yea, you pay your fee to become a member of an organization. Your money goes elsewhere, then any funding you want or need your chapter has to fund raise for the money. That sounds like a great idea!!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
We might learn a few things. Some of those states have public land access figured out. WIN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Yea, you pay your fee to become a member of an organization. Your money goes elsewhere, then any funding you want or need your chapter has to fund raise for the money. That sounds like a great idea!!
Quote:
Don's Website
If I understand Don's post correct the money stays in the province and that the chapter is autonomous.

Maybe Don can chime in?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Default Bha

Hi there,

The Alberta chapter (which is non-profit) is affiliated with the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers group, as the Alberta members share the same values (conserving the experience of wilderness hunting and angling, through the preservation of wild lands and wildlife).

Don Meredith is absolutely correct, that any funds collected by the Alberta chapter remain in Alberta, as is the case with the British Columbia chapter. Conversely, no money is sent by the US BHA chapters to the Canadian chapters. Money is directed towards efforts that our board, and general members, have identified as critical.

We are very much our own entity, as all BHA chapters are, and we pursue causes that affect the core values listed above. I understand that the perception is a US organization is attempting to influence what we do here in Alberta, but the board members that we have are committed to Alberta first, and foremost.

If you are open to further discussion, we will begin hosting pint nights (in Lethbridge, Calgary, Edmonton, and "tentatively" Fort McMurray) on a regular basis, starting in May. Everyone is more than welcome to attend, and see what we are about, and at the least, exchange a few hunting/fishing stories while having a beer.

We can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Albe...ountryHunters/
Twitter: alberta_BHA
email: albertabha@gmail.com
Old 04-22-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
If I understand Don's post correct the money stays in the province and that the chapter is autonomous.

Maybe Don can chime in?
When you go through the registration process on the website provided, no where does it say where would you like your registration fee to go. I think it would go right to Missoula to the headquarters. There is quite a few options given for a membership as well anywhere from $25 to $2500
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM

I am a member and I'm very happy to have an Alberta chapter to push for continued responsible access to public lands! BHA has been very active in pushing back against the sell off of public lands in western states and against consolidation of private lands to block access to BLM lands. And, for what it's worth, I don't for a minute think that Alberta Parks has some secret agenda to ban hunting in the Castle. There are a lot of passionate hunters in that agency...have they ever tried to stop hunting in the Willmore? In Blackfoot? Or in the other 85% of their landbase where hunting is allowed? Relax and come on out to a pint night and see what these folks are really all about before jumping to conclusions.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:51 AM

For those of us without a way to access Facebook, is there another way to learn about when and where any meetings are taking place?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
For those of us without a way to access Facebook, is there another way to learn about when and where any meetings are taking place?
Email is likely the best way: albertabha@gmail.com

I'll send out emails once the next pint night is scheduled. Thanks for your interest!
Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think they have a particular stance on grizzly hunting, except it should be done in a quality manner when numbers warrant. See their mission and values statement. So far the Alberta chapter has no stance but I would assume it would be the same.

With regard to being "closely associated with Y2Y," BHA supports Y2Y because they have similar goals in wanting to see large tracts of wilderness to support large populations of all wildlife. And if being "over the top" on grizzly bear conservation means ensuring we will always have bears to see and maybe even hunt, then Y2Y has my vote. See FAQs about who they are.

Really Don,

Have you forgotten how Mountain Equiptment Coop, the founding financial institution of Y2Y, raised the funds to market the advocacy for the Alberta Grizzly Bear hunt closure campaign?

Y2Y and blood related (financing and sponsorship) organizations learned to clean up their marketing tools of obvious anti-hunting bias, instead promoting the creation of "Sanctuaries" where Aboriginal hunting is allowed, but closed to all else, as happened with the Kluane National park efforts.

Y2Y strongly advocates the elimination of ALL predator hunting.

A person needs to be willfully blind if they research the history and still believe Y2Y is ambivalent towards hunting.

I have heard of the BHA, and first impression was that perhaps it is a group worth supporting. Hearing that BHA is actually aligned with Y2Y, well, that takes them OFF the list.

As an active advocate for maintaining hunting rights for ALL people, there is no way I could suggest anyone support this group.

-------

As to Y2Y policy, a person, and Don SHOULD know, has to read between the lines.

Y2Y Hunting Fishing Policy, between the lines in Red

Y2Y's Hunting, Trapping and Fishing Policy Revised Fall 2012
The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) is committed to the ecological integrity of, and long term health of habitats and wildlife populations within, the Yellowstone to Yukon region. Within this context, Y2Y recognizes that hunting, trapping, and fishing:

 are indigenous rights;
Y2Y will purport support for hunting, but only for Aboriginal harvest. Everyone else, you WILL NEVER get support from us.

 are part of the cultural heritage and economy of the Yellowstone to Yukon region;
So we will finance non-hunting advocacy groups to replace this heritage and economy with non-consultive uses such as Bear photography.

 are appropriate activities within the Yellowstone to Yukon region, provided that they are
conducted in an ethical manner that includes fair chase principles; and
 may be appropriate means to help maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health.
In saying so, we mean that hunting will only be used when prey species become so over-populated in an area that they become a serious problem and non-human predators are not able to provide the control needed. Remember, we advocate No Predator Hunting, so that only "natural" predators can kill prey species. No predators? Well, we will finance a wolf introduction.

In addition, Y2Y acknowledges the legitimacy of wildlife sanctuaries set aside from hunting, fishin,g or trapping where wildlife populations can recover from the impacts of the developed landscape, to protect wildlife genetics from the impacts of selection from human-caused mortality, and which act as source populations for hunting, trapping, and fishing opportunities outside their boundaries.

Remember the Bighorn and now Thinhorn research claiming hunting induced genetic selection, we helped with that. This is part of the strategy to eliminate hunting from areas within 200 km of National Park boundaries, We got Parks Canada on board, too bad the Alberta Gov. disagreed. Anyways, we will continue to lobby and finance the establishment of more National and Provincial Parks, where NO Hunting will be allowed (baby steps), while marketing to the masses that we Actually support hunting. *****ers!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 04-21-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Really Don,

Have you forgotten how Mountain Equiptment Coop, the founding financial institution of Y2Y, raised the funds to market the advocacy for the Alberta Grizzly Bear hunt closure campaign?

Y2Y and blood related (financing and sponsorship) organizations learned to clean up their marketing tools of obvious anti-hunting bias, instead promoting the creation of "Sanctuaries" where Aboriginal hunting is allowed, but closed to all else, as happened with the Kluane National park efforts.

A person needs to be willfully blind if they research the history and still believe Y2Y is ambivalent towards hunting.

I have heard of the BHA, and first impression was that perhaps it is a group worth supporting. Hearing that BHA is actually aligned with Y2Y, well, that takes them OFF the list.

As an active advocate for maintaining hunting rights for ALL people, there is no way I could suggest anyone support this group.

-------

The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) is committed to the ecological integrity of, and long term health of habitats and wildlife populations within, the Yellowstone to Yukon region. Within this context, Y2Y recognizes that hunting, trapping, and fishing:

 are indigenous rights;
Y2Y will purport support for hunting, but only for Aboriginal harvest. Everyone else, you WILL NEVER get support from us.

 are part of the cultural heritage and economy of the Yellowstone to Yukon region;
So we will finance non-hunting advocacy groups to replace this heritage and economy with non-consultive uses such as Bear photography.

 are appropriate activities within the Yellowstone to Yukon region, provided that they are
 may be appropriate means to help maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health.
In saying so, we mean that hunting will only be used when prey species become so over-populated in an area that they become a serious problem and non-human predators are not able to provide the control needed. Remember, we advocate No Predator Hunting, so that only "natural" predators can kill prey species. No predators? Well, we will finance a wolf introduction.

In addition, Y2Y acknowledges the legitimacy of wildlife sanctuaries set aside from hunting, fishin,g or trapping where wildlife populations can recover from the impacts of the developed landscape, to protect wildlife genetics from the impacts of selection from human-caused mortality, and which act as source populations for hunting, trapping, and fishing opportunities outside their boundaries.

Remember the Bighorn and now Thinhorn research claiming hunting induced genetic selection, we helped with that. This is part of the strategy to eliminate hunting from areas within 200 km of National Park boundaries, We got Parks Canada on board, too bad the Alberta Gov. disagreed. Anyways, we will continue to lobby and finance the establishment of more National and Provincial Parks, where NO Hunting will be allowed (baby steps), while marketing to the masses that we Actually support hunting. *****ers!
You have already been proven correct in this thread WB
Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Really Don,

-------

 are indigenous rights;

WB, you really nailed it with that post, thank you!