Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 AM

Is Lyme disease curable?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:44 AM

No its treatable,but not cureable. My niece has it and that ia what her DR is saying. The outcome can also be much different if diagnosed right away,the soon its treated the better
Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
No its treatable,but not cureable. My niece has it and that ia what her DR is saying. The outcome can also be much different if diagnosed right away,the soon its treated the better
Incorrect. Kind of.

The bacteria is killed with antibiotics. The damage that the bacteria do before treatment, is often permanent. Problem is that it often goes unrecognized here, because it is still somewhat unusual.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmasterjr View Post
What kind of ticks are in Alberta? i heard only deer ticks carry lyme disease is this true? Are they everywhere in Alberta or only certain parts? Never found or seen a tick before in my life, guess I should be more aware when out in the bush.
Ticks can be in wooded or grassy areas in North America.
I was always told that in the mountains, there are lots of ticks just below the snowline on the slopes. Maybe some high country users can comment if this is an accurate statement in their experiences.

2 excerpts from the Public Health Agency of Canada:
"Two types of ticks are responsible for the spread of Lyme disease in Canada: the western blacklegged tick in British Columbia and the blacklegged tick in other parts of Canada."

"Hunters may be at greater risk of contracting Lyme disease because they spend more time in habitats where ticks tend to live. However, Lyme disease cannot be spread by butchering or eating deer meat or organs."

A MUST read for everyone that enjoys the outdoors and wants to be educated about this topic. Good things to know if you have kids or pets, let alone self preservation.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-fs-eng.php

--------------------
The Alberta Health website claims the cases they have seen were found to have been contracted while traveling out of porvince. They do have resources for concerns.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...e-disease.html

Last edited by Red Bullets; 05-12-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 PM

The only tick I've ever seen in Alberta was crawling up the pant leg of my buddy while we were sitting, having lunch, on the summit of the Wedge (heart of K -Country). They are out there.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM

My family travelled to Saskatoon from Edmonton this past weekend. Over the course of the weekend with a few short hikes in the river valleys we found 4 ticks on us. The last one we found was latched on the back of my 3 year old daughters neck. They are here and it seems like there are a lot of them in Saskatchewan this year.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM

We have a lot of ticks here in Saskatchewan. This time of year we find a lot of them on us. The vast majority of ticks that we have are the American dog tick (wood tick). These do not carry lyme disease. I think a common tick in Alberta is the rocky mountain wood tick which is not know for carrying lyme disease either. Lyme disease will be carried by the black legged tick ( deer tick). I think I have read less than one percent of the ticks here are deer ticks. The American dog tick and rocky mountain wood tick will carry rocky mountain spotted fever and a few other diseases although rare.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
--------------------
The Alberta Health website claims the cases they have seen were found to have been contracted while traveling out of porvince. They do have resources for concerns.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...e-disease.html

I find that the Nanny State is infiltrating the government's tone on their webpages. Everything is Red Roses.

Back in 2010 Alberta Health Services stated that they could not confirm the source of infection in all of the 20 confirmed cases from 1989-2009. In 2010, the presence of the bacteria causing Lyme Disease had been confirmed in ticks from Calgary, High River, Androssan and Stoney Plain areas.

The truth is the government does not know the extent of Lyme disease carrying ticks nor are they able to confirm the source of all historical infections in Albertans.

It really is imperative for the public to be "Tick Smart" to ensure their own safety.

The Government link to this Lyme Disease warning has been scrubbed clean.

Quote:
"May 20, 2010

Albertans warned to take precautions against Lyme disease

Edmonton ... Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health is advising Albertans to take precautions against Lyme disease as ticks carrying the disease have been identified in three areas of the province.

Three ticks have tested positive for Borrelia, the bacteria that cause Lyme disease. The ticks were found on dogs in the Calgary, High River and Ardrossan areas, and submitted for testing by veterinarians. Borrelia was first identified in Alberta in 2007, in ticks found on dogs in the Stony Plain area. A bite by an infected tick can cause illness in people, wildlife and domestic animals.

“Lyme disease can be a serious condition if it’s not detected early and left untreated,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. “We advise anyone who is spending time outdoors to take precautions against tick bites. Your best defence against Lyme disease is prevention. To avoid being bitten by ticks, use insect repellents and cover up when walking in tall grass, woods or brush.”

There have been 20 cases of human Lyme disease reported in Alberta from 1989 to 2009. The majority of cases have been linked to travel in the U.S. or Europe. Public health officials have not been able to confirm that any of the infections were acquired in Alberta. Infected ticks reported in 2007 were thought to be carried to Alberta by migratory birds, as neither the species of tick nor the bacteria had been seen here before.

“Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development operates a tick surveillance project that is looking to see if the ticks that carry Lyme disease are established in the province,” says Dr. Gerald Hauer, Chief Provincial Veterinarian. “Ticks that carry Lyme disease have rarely been found in Alberta, and we are currently trying to get a better understanding of their presence.”

Infection with Lyme disease normally occurs in the summer months from May to August. The disease is recognized as a circular, red rash starting at the tick bite 3 to 30 days after the bite occurs. The rash may be accompanied by fever, chills, headache, fatigue and swollen lymph glands. In some cases, Lyme disease results in neurological and muscular problems weeks or months after the original infection. More serious cases can lead to recurrent meningitis, heart problems and arthritis.

If you find a tick on your pet, contact your local veterinarian to remove it, so the tick can be identified and collected for testing. The veterinarian can treat the infection in pets or domestic animals.

For more information on Lyme disease, visit http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...e-disease.html, or http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversitySt...ymedisease.pdf. Anyone who suspects they have Lyme disease should contact HealthLink Alberta - in the Calgary-area at 403.943.LINK (5465); in the Edmonton-area at 780.408.LINK (5465) or, outside the local calling area, toll-free at 1.866.408.LINK (5465).

May 20, 2010
Questions and answers about Lyme disease

1.Q: How is Lyme disease transmitted?
Lyme disease is a debilitating disease that can affect people, wildlife and domestic animals.
Infection of humans with Lyme disease normally occurs during the summer months from May to August after a bite from a tick infected with Lyme-causing bacteria.

Ticks on migrating birds may also carry the bacteria and some common bird species are potential hosts for Lyme bacteria.

The disease is named after Lyme, Connecticut, where the first human outbreak in North America was recognized in 1975.

2.Q: Can Lyme disease be treated?
In the early stages of infection, Lyme disease can be treated with doxycycline or amoxicillin.
3.Q: What if I find a tick embedded in my skin?
Use tweezers to gently remove the tick’s mouth - the part sticking into your skin. Apply steady pressure to pull the tick straight out without twisting or jerking it. Do not squash the tick, as it may inject the bacteria directly into your skin. Check the bite area for at least two weeks. If a red rash appears or other symptoms develop, seek medical attention.
4.Q: What if I find a tick embedded in my pet?
If you find a tick on your pet, contact your local veterinarian to remove it, so the tick can be identified and collected for testing. The veterinarian can treat the infection in pets or domestic animals.
5.Q: How can I avoid Lyme disease?
Use insect repellant containing DEET, and cover up as much as possible when walking in tall grass, brush or woods where ticks may be found. Wear a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, long socks, enclosed shoes or boots and a hat. Wear light colours, as ticks are dark and easier to see against a light background. Some ticks can be as small as a pin-head or freckle. Remove clothes and check your body thoroughly for ticks after being outdoors.

Regularly check pets and children after they have been outside and carefully remove any ticks."

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM

It is so refreshing to read information that is so helpful to everyone. It also keeps the over opinionated ones from trying to derail an educational subject.

IMHO, they never seem to show up when their opinions are outweighed by factual knowledge.

In my case the lymes has a similar side affect to that of multiple sclerosis and it accelerated all my arthritis; I am too old before my time.....

Aside from all the outdoors and areas mentioned in this thread; others to be very careful is the Pacific Northwest, lower British Columbia and Lake of the Woods to name a few.

I was bit in the Seattle Washington region.

Good luck and be careful.......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

Watch out in any dry, grassy area on the eastern slopes from when the snow melts tlll about June. Kootenay Plains seems notoriously bad, as is Waterton.

One time hiking with my girlfriend she picked 6 off her on the car-ride home just crawling around.

I've had dozens of these Rocky Mountain ticks on me in the past 20 years - the good news is they have NEVER dug in and I've always picked them off before they bite - sometimes 3 hours later. They obviously think we are pretty marginal hosts, though so you have a few hours.

Lyme disease sounds very nasty and not to be messed with.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I was lucky to have the target like rash that confirmed the bite. However that target like rash only occurs 25% of the time. Don't simply rely on seeing it.......
Make that 8% of the time that the target like rash appears...

Ticks and lymes is so important that Global News did a segment on it this evening.

Take lots of care folks....

Old 05-24-2014, 06:52 PM

Dang things are sure a battle in southern Sask. Only been out a few weeks from what I've noticed but I've already picked 3 off myself and 13 off my dog. A couple years back I picked upwards of 30 off my dog and myself combined from a one hour hike. Oddly enough I've never once had one latch on to me. I always notice them while they are crawling on me.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 PM

Lots of ticks here in the Crowsnest pass now. I am always looking for them after being outside but not while out there. I sure don't want to let it ruin my outdoor pursuits but .....Lyme disease is nasty.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned

I have found the Lethbridge area to be rather bad.

It seems that dear old Lethbridge is not the only place that this vermin likes crawling on people.

Thanks to the AO forum.

It also appears the government does not really know how big the tick problem really is. And they could care less. A new leader is more important to them.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Dang things are sure a battle in southern Sask. Only been out a few weeks from what I've noticed but I've already picked 3 off myself and 13 off my dog. A couple years back I picked upwards of 30 off my dog and myself combined from a one hour hike. Oddly enough I've never once had one latch on to me. I always notice them while they are crawling on me.
You are lucky.

What is scary is that they will get to the places that you can't possibly see i.e. your back, back of your scalp, inside your ears, crotch, crack of your bum, arm pits etc.

They migrate to the very warm areas of your body.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 PM

CLB and Walking Buffalo make some good points.
The species of tick that transmits Lyme Disease is likely a recent arrival to Alberta (likely carried here by migrating birds) and its distribution is spotty. But it is likely well established so Alberta will likely see more human cases of Lyme Disease in the future. And this disease can be serious.
Here, some information that I have lifted from a book I wrote about winter ticks on moose.
"Ticks are common parasites of mammals, including humans. Some species are also found on birds and reptiles. There are over 800 species of ticks worldwide, but only about 35 species occur on hosts in Canada. Of that number only 10 or so occur in Alberta and of those few, only two [now three counting the tick that spreads Lyme Disease]get much attention.
"The Rocky Mountain wood tick, Dermacentor andersoni, occurs on large mammals such as deer, elk, cattle and humans from south central British Columbia, southern and western Alberta, and east to southwestern Saskatchewan. This tick deserves the attention it gets because hikers and dogs, walking game trails, commonly become infested in spring and early summer and disease can result.
"Wood ticks ascend grasses and shrubs along game trails and ambush large mammals including man. They occur in Alberta’s foothills and mountains from Jasper to the Montana border. Basically, where elk, mule deer, and bighorn sheep are found, so too are wood ticks. Moving east, wood ticks occur south of a west-east line running through Lake Louise and Hanna.
"Wood ticks vector the human disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever, which, in spite of its name, is not very common in Alberta, but rather reaches near epidemic proportions in dogs of the southeastern Atlantic states. The disease, which first produces a mild-to-nasty skin rash often accompanied by headache, fever, general soreness, then more severe signs later such as agitation and insomnia, is readily treated with antibiotics.
A second ailment is tick paralysis, which occurs rarely in humans or other animals in Alberta, but is more common in cattle of British Columbia. Ticks produce a neurological toxin that is passed to hosts, such as cattle and man, during tick bite. Infection results in a gradually spreading loss of feeling from the extremities to the body core.
"In summary, getting ambushed by wood ticks is part of hiking in southern and western Alberta in spring, but infection with Spotted Fever or Tick Paralysis is rare. Nonetheless, these diseases can be serious, which merits taking precautions to reduce chances of tick attack:
▪ avoid resting (that is, sitting or lying down) along game trails or mountain meadows obviously frequented by deer, elk or bighorn sheep;
▪ use repellents containing DEET on clothing below the waist; that is, those areas that might come into contact with low-lying tick-infested vegetation;
▪ tuck pants into the socks, and
▪ do a body search for ticks of everyone in the hiking party during and at the end of the day. Search everyone for ticks, especially young children. It takes several to many hours for disease transmission to occur, so these searches are worthwhile. Wood ticks tend to attach around the ears and back of the neck, often just under the hairline. Check the dog.
If an attached tick is found, use tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and gently pull so as to remove both tick and its mouthparts. By the way, those home-spun remedies such as using nail polish, end of lit cigarette or hot match, petroleum jelly, lighter fluid, do not work when trying to remove a tick embedded in skin. Treat the site with antiseptic. See a physician if you are not certain that the mouthparts have been removed (and one sign that they have not been removed is inflammation at the site of the attached tick), or if you do not feel well following the hike.

"The second attention-getting species of tick in Alberta is called the moose-, elk- or winter tick, Dermacentor albipictus. The common names refer to the hosts on which the tick is noticed most often and the season in which these ticks are observed most often. Humans are seldom, if ever, infested with winter ticks; this tick is not considered a pest of man.

That's my tictoc.

ticdoc
Old 05-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Banned

Thank you Tic Doc.

Glad to see you are still in the neighborhood.

Fellow AO members. Tic Doc is a real cool dude when it comes to ticks and parasites.

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

. . .

It also appears the government does not really know how big the tick problem really is. And they could care less. A new leader is more important to them.
Exactly ^ !

They're more concerned with the 'rats'.

Mac
Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Default Thanks for this Greylynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Thank you Tic Doc.

Glad to see you are still in the neighborhood.

Fellow AO members. Tic Doc is a real cool dude when it comes to ticks and parasites.

Thanks again.
Appreciate kind words.

ticdoc
Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM

Back from SK last weekend. Lots of ticks. First couple days pants treated with permethrin, no ticks. Last two days, no permethrin treated cloths, and two attached to me, & one found crawling. The dog (tick treatment 5 days prior) one attached, & two found crawling (dying?) on his back. Not bad for the volume of them I guess.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM

Default Lyme

Some facts from the leading Lyme disease organization internationally.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/about-lyme.php

Keep in mind that "Lyme disease" means an infection of Borrelia burgdorferi to your doctor. But there are multiple possible co-infections that are often transmitted as well. This can make things really complicated.

Have a look over the symptoms of a common co-infection called Bartonella....
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ult...1;t=062704;p=0

I was negative on the AHC ELISA testing for Borrelia but came back positive on a western blot for Borrelia & positive for Bartonella on a special blood stain test. I only had 2 symptoms - fatigue with agitation and plantar fasciitis that wouldn't go away. After treatment, these went away.

Lessons for me - you don't have to have all these symptoms to have an infection and don't rely on the AHC test as your only way of determining if you have it.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Puts a whole new meaning to that song
I'd like to check you for ticks
now don't it
Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM

Bump

Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Bump

Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
Puts a whole new meaning to that song
I'd like to check you for ticks
now don't it
Maybe, you can put a better case for doing it now tho.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM

forgetmenot ridge (west of Bragg Creek) last weekend I had a tick crawling up my leg. Squished the lil bugger between a couple rocks and checked for more when I got home.

first alberta tick I've ever had on me. Definitely be checking from now on.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 PM

I get a bunch of them, every year. Checking for them is important, especially if you've been walking in long grass. They're pretty common here. Fascinating little buggers, but I'm not too keen on getting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I should have knocked on wood. 6 have latched on so far this year. Not for long, 15 minutes maybe, I get them immediately after we are done hiking. This is shaping up to be one of the worst years I've seen. Not in volume but duration. It's been cool and raining every other day. Usually I see them peak in early June and then start dying off. I think they are still at least a couple weeks away from that yet.

The odd thing is I'm picking more off myself than the dog while hiking , not by much but maybe 10% more. The last 2 years she was out numbering me by about 3 to 1.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Bump

Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Darn mule deer

Had ticks in my Mule deer yesterday. Through him in the truck and got home. Hung him outside and skinned him pretty quick. I noticed most of them around the anus and I was just grossed out. I think most went deeper into the hide as I was skinning and then I chucked it in a grab age bag. I was constantly checking my stuff but never found one. After all was done I changed my clothes and went inside. Had my wife check me and seems ok so hopefully no bites or anything like that. It's been over 24 hrs so hopefully all is good. Don't know if there's any in the grass where I skinned him. How long would they last I wonder. Anyways it still got me grossed out as I have a dog and continuously checking him and the kids. Yuck.