Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Default Remember to check for ticks after an outing

http://www.wltribune.com/news/258322...ml?mobile=true

Just a reminder to always remember to check for ticks
Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 AM

Tick Check!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=tick+check

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Ranks right up there with West Nile Virus as things I don't worry about.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Default Ticks

I'd worry about it. I got " tick fever" in Africa and it's not pleasant and neither are the medications to save your life. Not something to be blasé about.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I'd worry about it. I got " tick fever" in Africa and it's not pleasant and neither are the medications to save your life. Not something to be blasé about.
I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symtoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

And that is not the only case, I know of three other people that were misdiagnosed, some have been told they had MS, yet years later they find out it was Lyme disease.

IT is NOT something to brush off.. Check your kids/spouses regularily.
You never know.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM

a very real issue. a local rancher around here contracted lyme's disease. miss diagnosed by the doctors. finally figured it out, but he's had to sell his spread because of it.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Default I don't know why?

I've spent my 55 year life hunting, trapping, playing in the bush and have never seen a tick. And my dad before me the same.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwtfanatic View Post
I've spent my 55 year life hunting, trapping, playing in the bush and have never seen a tick. And my dad before me the same.
Crazy!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thats what my parents say too but theyre out there. Early last spring I went for a quick scout trip & had 35 on me when I got back to the truck. I cant stand them.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:49 PM

It's a good idea to check your dogs too!

Mac
Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Every spring we find ticks on our grey horses, have a sorrel and a bay horse in the same pasture. Never find any ticks on these two. Three weeks ago we picked about a hundreds ticks off each grey horse. Applied tick powder on the horses and one week later only found a couple live ticks.
Anyone else notice this with animal colour and tick infestations.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 AM

Aside from Lyme disease ticks also can inflict rocky mountain spotted fever (RMSF) on a person or pet.

These are the stats for RMSF for the last 90 years in the USA. The last few years have sure spiked. Causes fatalities every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rmsf_incid.jpg (39.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM

Default Ticks

I had a friend who worked on a ranch near Nanton who got RMSF and the doctors had a heck of a time figuring out what he had.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:42 AM

Those little buggers tick me off. (someone had to say it)
I was looking for moose while walking through some tall grass and willows last fall. Got back to the vehicle and noticed a couple hundred of them on my clothes. They were tiny and when I got home I started google searching info... Quick search now got me to this (one example site of many)
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-seed-ticks.htm

Scraped them off with a knife and crushed a few for good measure
(it would have been illegal to go burn the remaining ticks in a wildfire ) They freak me out. I know two guys in their thirties, that have Lyme disease from tick bites. It can be a surprisingly debilitating disease.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM

Talking

Someone should write a song about this
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Ranks right up there with West Nile Virus as things I don't worry about.

ARG
I would and I will worry about it FOREVER.....

I was bit and contracted Lymes disease and I am here to tell you it is HORRIBLE. The tick had to be surgically removed.

Similar to you, I never gave the tick much thought yet I was aware of them.

Not a day goes by when I am not reminded why I should have inspected myself or taken more precaution while I was outdoors.

Rather than sit back, research the topic of Lymes Disease and then tell me "I don't worry about it". If you don't care then think about your kids and pets.

It is serious and painful.......IMHO...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symtoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

And that is not the only case, I know of three other people that were misdiagnosed, some have been told they had MS, yet years later they find out it was Lyme disease.

IT is NOT something to brush off.. Check your kids/spouses regularily.
You never know.
Where in Alberta did your nephew get bit? I work with people who do tick research and are doing field sweeps now and collecting ticks. They maybe interested in going to that area.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symptoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

IT is NOT something to brush off.. Check your kids/spouses regularly.
You never know.
I was lucky to have the target like rash that confirmed the bite. However that target like rash only occurs 25% of the time. Don't simply rely on seeing it.......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Someone should write a song about this
Hah, no tick discussion is complete without a little Brad Paisley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OctrGD4JW8U
Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
I've never seen a million dollars either, but I know it and ticks exist in Alberta. Your reasoning is very sound,lol.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM

Creepy crawlers don't freak me out but ticks is another story. Hate them critters.

Only had a few in Alberta, but Manitoba is the capital of ticks, I refuse to work there no more.

We got a late season moose one time in Northern BC, hung it in my shed for a few days dang man you should of seen the dead ticks on the floor . 100's of em. Dang moose probably would not of made it threw the winter.

That's all I got to say bout that.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Dog picked up a tick by Calling Lake and another co-worker's dog got a tick in the same area and the tick tested positive for Lyme's disease. I have seen moose with them before but never have I seen a tick before I found one on my dog and I worked in the bush daily for 15 years.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Full of my blood - yuck

Old 05-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Ticks

Lots of those little buggers around Red Deer Lake , when wife had taxidermy business the tanning barrel had lots in it mostly Mule Deer from that area..Anybody seen the cattle troughs in Mexico where the cattle are swimmed thru and inoculated and tagged as they swim the water is laced with some potent insecticide, after 50 head they skim the ticks out ,there are literally mountains of dead ticks at these sites really nasty , when i worked in the bush in Mexico you just looked at a bush and you had ticks on you ,every day down there was a tick pic
Old 05-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
... when i worked in the bush in Mexico you just looked at a bush and you had ticks on you ,every day down there was a tick pic
Yeah, one of many reasons to avoid Mexican bush.....

Seriously though its a good reminder to do a quick check, also keep in mind if someone gets sick and they can't figure out what it is.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:46 PM

What kind of ticks are in Alberta? i heard only deer ticks carry lyme disease is this true? Are they everywhere in Alberta or only certain parts? Never found or seen a tick before in my life, guess I should be more aware when out in the bush.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Must rank right up there with the samsquatch, they're just a fiction of peoples imaginations!!!!

I know of 6 people and three dogs that have contacted Lyme disease. Same thing no diagnosis till much later when things got worse.

They're out there and should not be discounted by anyone.

From what I've read they've migrated north and largely due to our climate being similar to where they originated.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulie4x4 View Post
Where in Alberta did your nephew get bit? I work with people who do tick research and are doing field sweeps now and collecting ticks. They maybe interested in going to that area.
Don't know specifically, but they have an acreage just south of valleyview.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Default Bugs

3BLADE... good one
Old 05-12-2014, 01:35 AM

Awe god thats so gross. I would seriously hate to find one of those on me! Lol