Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2020, 01:24 PM

Default Floating the Bow

Hi guys.

Just inherited a clackacraft drift boat. Have fished the bow with guides a few times but first time taking boat alone. Is there any stretches open this time of year that are a nice easy float to practice? Doing some research in the meantime and checking the regs. I do plan on hiring guide when that becomes an option again.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Bow Floats

The Bow downstream of Calgary is not a difficult piece of water to navigate. The bigger issue is that all government launches are now closed due to Covid 19 The only 2 still open will likely be shut down soon because of social distancing rules and people not adhering to them ie ...... more than 1 person in a boat which if you are new to rowing is not a good idea for your first time out on the river. Once social distancing rules are relaxed I would be happy to show you the ropes with regard to rowing a drifter and the river etiquette rules that go along with using and owning a drift boat.... I have been floating the river since the early 70s and own 2 drifters myself which likely won't see water till we get through this crisis ...... congrats on the new boat
Old 04-13-2020, 04:33 PM

Likely no shuttles available, as well (unless you do your own)!

-Confucius
Old 04-13-2020, 06:00 PM

Government sites are closed because of Covid. That’s Fish Creek, McKinnon and Carseland. Not sure if anything in Calgary is open.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:03 PM

Get out there and fish.
The issue with your request is the closure of launches. The Bow is a piece of cake to row, and you would have to work hard to get into trouble as long as you keep pointed in the right direction.
That said the take out at police wipes out a few inexperienced boats a season and that would be your take out point.... don't do that it will kill you faster than the covid.

PM me I'll give you the details of where you can guerrilla launch, if you're into that, you'll need a winch, come along or a crew and that's a no go right now.

I'm pretty cavalier, but many years ago Uberfly suggest I take swift water rescue. In my opinion it should be required for all who own a drifter.

Last edited by Jayhad; 04-14-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Went for a float today and had the wife shuttle me. Boat was very easy to maneuver and didn’t have any difficulties in the areas you guys suggested. Only one fish but was nice to get out of the house. Lots to learn still but that’s part of the fun. Thanks again.

For those who offered to help educate; I will gladly take you up on your offer once this covid thing is over.

Cheers
Old 04-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Hi
Don't own a drifter but have floated many sections of the big bow, mostly police to mac and carseland. 100 trips in my pontoon and 20 or so in the drift boat taking turns on the oars. Great experiences.
Get in touch when things restore and I would love to get out with you. As many mentioned the lower bow is quite safe but never underestimate. I floated after a few high water years where things were restructured . The Elk in fernie was more heads up.
I have a truck and whenever a buddy and I floated we shuttled ourselves .
Tying lots of flies!!!!
Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 PM

Yup, very worth while! Enrolment in a SWR course should come with every boat purchased!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Get out there and fish.
The issue with your request is the closure of launches. The Bow is a piece of cake to row, and you would have to work hard to get into trouble as long as you keep pointed in the right direction.
That said the take out at police wipes out a few inexperienced boats a season and that would be your take out point.... don't do that it will kill you faster than the covid.

PM me I'll give you the details of where you can guerrilla launch, if you're into that, you'll need a winch, come along or a crew and that's a no go right now.

I'm pretty cavalier, but many years ago Uberfly suggest I take swift water rescue. In my opinion it should be required for all who own a drifter.

-Confucius
Old 05-10-2020, 04:53 PM

Canmore to Seebe, public boat launch south side of the bow river bridge.